• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab to Bimini?

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is there a list of the boats that have been doing the Bimini Trip. I have my wife talked into it and she's even excited about it. Mostly I see Yamaha's though. Just wondering about if there are any issues with taking a Scarab since I don't have the Easy clean out port the Yamaha guys rave about.
I figure the hard part is done....The wife has approved.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seadoo boats have been doing it for years so the answer can it make it is yes.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As Robert said, smaller SeaDoos have made the crossing. @ScarabMike and I have talked about him joining the crossing several times but the scheduling has never worked out.

I do believe the clean out ports are an advantage if you get seaweed stuck in your jets. My experience is that the Jets will chew up seaweed if it gets inside but it can get stuck on the intake grate causing big problems. Without clean out ports you just have to be prepared to jump in and deal with it. My crew had to access the clean out ports four times on the 2015 trip.

On the positive side we do not use our clean out ports at all this year. Also by going from Port Everglades we avoid what I understand to be sognificant patches of seaweed around Haulover in Miami.

We need to figure out what your fuel burn is likely to be but I would be happy to have you in the 2017 Bimini Fling.

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Understand seadoos doing it. I owned those for years. Can't even count how many times in the middle of the water I would flip it upside down and deal with it. Scarab not so easy to flip over. I've only had to deal with an issue once and I just put it back on the trailer to dig out the little limbs that got stuck in there. Trip sounds awesome but clearing the grates under the boat mid trip sounds a bit difficult in big swells. Calm water no bigge....Cloths hangar and 20 secs
The kids usually end up at grandmas and summercamp so at least the first trip would just be the wife and I...... Less passengers to deal with if conditions are bad.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
As Robert said, smaller SeaDoos have made the crossing. @ScarabMike and I have talked about him joining the crossing several times but the scheduling has never worked out.

I do believe the clean out ports are an advantage if you get seaweed stuck in your jets. My experience is that the Jets will chew up seaweed if it gets inside but it can get stuck on the intake grate causing big problems. Without clean out ports you just have to be prepared to jump in and deal with it. My crew had to access the clean out ports four times on the 2015 trip.

On the positive side we do not use our clean out ports at all this year. Also by going from Port Everglades we avoid what I understand to be sognificant patches of seaweed around Haulover in Miami.

We need to figure out what your fuel burn is likely to be but I would be happy to have you in the 2017 Bimini Fling.
I too have seen these videos on youtube. Im surely inspired and would love to join you on the 2017 trip. Im willing to tow my scarab from Vegas to miami or where ever it is you all meet. I'm taking a month off next year.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Understand seadoos doing it. I owned those for years. Can't even count how many times in the middle of the water I would flip it upside down and deal with it. Scarab not so easy to flip over. I've only had to deal with an issue once and I just put it back on the trailer to dig out the little limbs that got stuck in there. Trip sounds awesome but clearing the grates under the boat mid trip sounds a bit difficult in big swells. Calm water no bigge....Cloths hangar and 20 secs
The kids usually end up at grandmas and summercamp so at least the first trip would just be the wife and I...... Less passengers to deal with if conditions are bad.
what year is your Scarab? I have a 2016 with Intelligent throttle system. I had rope under the boat multiple times and it never got caught. I guess I was lucky

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Trip sounds awesome but clearing the grates under the boat mid trip sounds a bit difficult in big swells.
You are only likely to experience sea weed near Port Everglades.

In 2014 @DieselCamel's SeaDoo 210 (now @veedubtek's SeaDoo) ingested something between Bahiam Mar (hotel) and the fuel dock and melted the cooling system. My experiences with using the cleanout plugs were all just outside of Port Everglades in 2015. I do not believe that I used the clean out ports in 2014 and did not in 2016.

So if you do get swamped cleaning out the jets it should be in US waters.

I hope you see the humor in my post. I am not intending to discourage you.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I too have seen these videos on youtube. Im surely inspired and would love to join you on the 2017 trip. Im willing to tow my scarab from Vegas to miami or where ever it is you all meet. I'm taking a month off next year.
@Majorsmackdown towed all the way from Portland. You can handle the tow from Vegas.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You are only likely to experience sea weed near Port Everglades.

In 2014 @DieselCamel's SeaDoo 210 (now @veedubtek's SeaDoo) ingested something between Bahiam Mar (hotel) and the fuel dock and melted the cooling system. My experiences with using the cleanout plugs were all just outside of Port Everglades in 2015. I do not believe that I used the clean out ports in 2014 and did not in 2016.

So if you do get swamped cleaning out the jets it should be in US waters.

I hope you see the humor in my post. I am not intending to discourage you.
I see the humor...:) I hope people get serious with this

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm running the 2015 215HO 702mireles. Heck, I'll just take one of the spare air tanks they have for divers (Never seen a good use for it while actually diving). They are good for 20-30 breaths. Anything more than that and I guess I can done all my diving gear and make a day out of it. Having another Scarab along would be nice....I'd be a little scared to be surrounded by all the low life yamaha operators.

As Far as towing is concerned, I bought my boat in Florida so I've already made that 17hr trip twice. Actually never thought my Scarab would ever see salt water again but after joining the forum I have a new adventure to look forward to.

My Wifes already said "Lets Do IT!!".

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just have these images of big rolling waves and me trying stay under the boat long enough to clear the grate or impellor all while the clown fish, sharks and sea monsters circle around me.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd be a little scared to be surrounded by all the low life yamaha operators.

Oh we are not that scary and it has been proven in the past a few of us would even stop drink a beer and watch you dive under neath your boat and make sure you were ok before we continued on!

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm running the 2015 215HO 702mireles. Heck, I'll just take one of the spare air tanks they have for divers (Never seen a good use for it while actually diving). They are good for 20-30 breaths. Anything more than that and I guess I can done all my diving gear and make a day out of it. Having another Scarab along would be nice....I'd be a little scared to be surrounded by all the low life yamaha operators.

As Far as towing is concerned, I bought my boat in Florida so I've already made that 17hr trip twice. Actually never thought my Scarab would ever see salt water again but after joining the forum I have a new adventure to look forward to.

I promise im in...I also think its smart to take only my girly and myself. I want to go far down the Caribbean to be honest... I also need to look into what the laws are for firearms on board too. I would like to be armed in case a pirate rolls up...:)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seaweed is a known problem but if you stay on plane for the first few miles no matter what the conditions are I think you would be fine. The year everyone had the issue with it we were not staying on plane and the group was moving to slow though it causing the issue. Even @DieselCamel issue I would be willing to bet occurred at non planing speeds when he sucked up his item as the whole are is a no wake zone. Now dont get me wrong I have sucked items up at speed but never anything bad enough it caused me to use a clean out port or get out of the boat always only required the reverse trick or turning the engine off to let it fall from the grates.

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
There is a firearm thread if you do a quick search. I'm an Oklahoma boy and I don't go anywhere without at least one gun. Seems like a PIA though as you have to turn it in to the Bimini police upon arrival and can have it back when you depart....which I might still consider. Not keen on road trips without at least one gun with me.

As far as staying on plane.... Wife has been warned multiple times and shes still all in,

Great, Now while I'm under the boat working I can count on being surrounded by clown fish, sharks, sea monsters AND Yamahas. I'll put that on the Con's side of the list

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a firearm thread if you do a quick search. I'm an Oklahoma boy and I don't go anywhere without at least one gun. Seems like a PIA though as you have to turn it in to the Bimini police upon arrival and can have it back when you depart....which I might still consider. Not keen on road trips without at least one gun with me.

As far as staying on plane.... Wife has been warned multiple times and shes still all in,

Great, Now while I'm under the boat working I can count on being surrounded by clown fish, sharks, sea monsters AND Yamahas. I'll put that on the Con's side of the list
Upon request we can leave you there on your own no worries just at the captains meeting just let all know if you fall behind to leave you I'm sure no one will object lol. The trip really isnt that bad as long as the weather ok its more intimidating thinking about it then it really is. Heck if you search the are 60 year olds who paddle board and Kayak this trip surely it can easily be done on a 19 and 21 foot boat. Look forward to having you guys next year!

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
All kidding robert843. Given a couple of years I may be driving a 24' Yamaha. As long as your Tow vehicles are Cummins diesels we will all get along.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All kidding robert843. Given a couple of years I may be driving a 24' Yamaha. As long as your Tow vehicles are Cummins diesels we will all get along.
There are several of those in the group but its a mixed bag with the fords and chevys as well. You guys will have a blast seriously and as mentioned by @Bruce only the first few miles have any issue of sea weed and stuff after that its clear sailing. I still truly believe as long as you keep the speed up there is no concern for any model boat. Now we just need to get a few of the Glasstron and Chap guys on board and really have a full showing of Jet Boats!

Seadoo_Bimini_Crosser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hope to have my new scarab 255 in a few weeks. I plan on making the trip again in June of 2017. It would be cool to get all the different groups to team up for a huge crossing.

not sure how bad it is cleaning the grates on all jet boats but it is super easy cleaning them on my seadoo gti130. Like Robert said, if you catch it soon enough you can kill your engine and wait a few seconds and let the seaweed fall away