• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab trailer hidden brake line rust

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I store my boat and trailer out of the water, but when in the water it is salt water. I wash down the boat and trailer after each outing. I noticed the OEM Scarab trailer brake lines were getting rusty. I purchased the GatorHyde over galvanized coating, but it just means the trailer rusts under the coating and it is not as noticeable.

Anyway, I checked the brake line that runs inside the trailer tubing from the brake actuator to the rear axel. It is inside of a nylon mesh sleeve. When I checked the brake line crumbled and fluid poured out. An accident waiting to happen. Apparently the mesh sleeve retains water and accelerates the rust process. Especially salt water.

I replaced all the brake lines with nickel/copper tubing. Too bad Scarab did not use for the Gator/Hyde trailer upgrade.

Just a note. If you have a Scarab trailer you might want to check the brake line running inside the frame tubing. Easiest place to check is where the tubing comes out of the frame near the axel where it has formed into a circle.