• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab wet storage area question (215 HOI Wake)

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
At the back of my Scarab 215 is a wet storage area with two drains on either side. When it rains or I wash the boat they typically fill up with water. They do not statically drain however. I have blown compressed air through the drains and they are not clogged but wonder if they are designed to drain only when the boat is underway and by vacuum since the bottom of the drain is under the platform.

I have not had the boat in the water yet to test but was wondering if others have had the same issue.

Also, does anyone know where the MSD Navionics chip for mapping updates goes into the Medallion Viper 2?
I can't seem to find a slot anywhere.

Thanks, Walt

[/URL]
[/URL]

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the same issue with my 215 wet locker. tried blowing it out with a compressor as well. I did notice once the boat is underway it draws the water out. I ended up purchasing the trailering cover which extends over the swim platform so now during storage the rain never gets in to the locker.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks. I have purchased the trailering cover and that should alleviate the rain water infiltrating that wet storage in the back. Once I get her in the water I can confirm the draining while underway.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You can jam the fitting using compressed air. Next time just try using water from the spray nozzle directly into the hole to loosen any debris. If that doesn't work, they are cheap to replace and probably covered under warranty.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron, again my question, are these supposed to drain statically, i.e. out of the water? This boat is brand new and has not drained statically. (I have not had it in the water to test if if drains dynamically, via vacuum when underway.) The reason I ask is I have seen another new boat that did not drain statically and have heard from 3 other 215 owners that have told me theirs did not either. I am yet to hear from anyone with a 215 that says theirs do drain statically. Thus the question. If it is supposed to, there is a design issue or part failure problem.

Walt

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron, again my question, are these supposed to drain statically, i.e. out of the water? This boat is brand new and has not drained statically. (I have not had it in the water to test if if drains dynamically, via vacuum when underway.) The reason I ask is I have seen another new boat that did not drain statically and have heard from 3 other 215 owners that have told me theirs did not either. I am yet to hear from anyone with a 215 that says theirs do drain statically. Thus the question. If it is supposed to, there is a design issue or part failure problem.

Walt
No venturi effect on those, it's like a one-way scupper valve. If there is water in the wet storage area for any reason, it should drain regardless of being in the water or out! Check the hose to see if it is kinked, if so, cut it back and re-attach. Otherwise, it is clogged!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No venturi effect on those, it's like a one-way scupper valve. If there is water in the wet storage area for any reason, it should drain regardless of being in the water or out! Check the hose to see if it is kinked, if so, cut it back and re-attach. Otherwise, it is clogged!
  • Hi Ron, I have forced air from my compressor at 100psi and there seems to be nothing clogging it? The only time it self drained is while in the water once under way. I dont have access to my boat right now but is it even possible to access the hose if it was kinked as it is so far back on the swim platform.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
  • Hi Ron, I have forced air from my compressor at 100psi and there seems to be nothing clogging it? The only time it self drained is while in the water once under way. I dont have access to my boat right now but is it even possible to access the hose if it was kinked as it is so far back on the swim platform.
Have your dealer replace them! They are damaged from the compressed air, corrosion, dirt etc. I am going to order some for our store and look at their design to help you further. Even though we haven't had an issue with them, I contacted warranty at Scarab for you and they said basically what I did. If they don't drain, they are clogged or the hose attached to it is kinked slightly and or clogged. It is easy for debris to get into them like small leaves, excessive dirt from air or storage for long periods of time.

FTM3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Mine has been the same since 2018 wet vac or forced air to get them started then they will drsin

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Our solution to the design error, installed two service ports to access the hoses. Very easy fix, as soon as you can get to them

Attachments

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I have the same issue. When I first got the boast I thought something was wrong with the assembly. I noticed the internal drain hoses were looped. I thought I would crawl in there to shorten and reroute the hoses. No way my body was going to fit into the space. So I had to think about it. I think the hoses are purposely routed in a high loop so the water does not come into the compartment when the boat is floating in the water. Top of hose loop higher than lake/ocean water level.

I get the compartment to drain easily though. When washing out the compartment just spray the water from the hose straight into the drain hole. Remove the water hose and the syphoning drains all the water from the compartment. When I don't have the hose handy I rapidly plunge my finger into the drain and it starts syphoning and all the water drains.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have the same issue. When I first got the boast I thought something was wrong with the assembly. I noticed the internal drain hoses were looped. I thought I would crawl in there to shorten and reroute the hoses. No way my body was going to fit into the space. So I had to think about it. I think the hoses are purposely routed in a high loop so the water does not come into the compartment when the boat is floating in the water. Top of hose loop higher than lake/ocean water level.

I get the compartment to drain easily though. When washing out the compartment just spray the water from the hose straight into the drain hole. Remove the water hose and the syphoning drains all the water from the compartment. When I don't have the hose handy I rapidly plunge my finger into the drain and it starts syphoning and all the water drains.
Yes, correct, but the loop can be lowered a tic and all is fine.
Idea might be correct, but useless if you keep the boat in the water.
Lovely to start the day with socked gear...

Best solution would be a cap on the drains, simply unscrew it when you want the storage to drain.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Never thought about always being in the water all the time. Boating in salt water I keep the boat on a trailer. Salt water is like acid. If I left in I wouldn’t have a boat left.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Agree in general, but it's all about TLC. Sold my 10-year-old Challenger 230 in a perfect condition. Was in salt water for 8 weeks every season.

Sorry for drifting off. Damn, I miss that thing.

Attachments