• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea Deck Coming Up

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2016 242 limited S and the adhesive on sea deck on the swim platform has in places appeared to have failed and has become partially detached. The sea deck is otherwise in good shape.

any sugestions on an adhesive I can use to reattach and prevent further issues?

Thanks - Joe

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have some on my swim platform that has detached. I ignore it :) as it’s not peeling or really a problem.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really that would be great. Yeah it’s not peeling or curling you wouldn’t know it to look at it. It’s basically 90% attached I was worried it would get worse.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really that would be great. Yeah it’s not peeling or curling you wouldn’t know it to look at it. It’s basically 90% attached I was worried it would get worse.
No it’s fine I just put it out of sight/mind. It seems to be specific to the sun baked seadeck that’s not covered by my snap cover around the table mount. I try not to pick at it or bother it. It doesn’t have any functional issues.

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well wood contact cement. Apply to seadeck and hull, walk away and let dry to the touch (10 minutes) push Seadek down and it will hold better than new

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a brand new 2020 Yamaha SX195 and the outer edges of the marine mat on the lower swim platform must be slightly detached as when drying the platform water "squished" out from underneath. After boating, in the Fall, I'll glue them back down. probably common to some extent with all such products. I had a friend even more ocd than me who installed his own decking. First he sanded the nonskid until it was pretty flat, wiped it with acetone then painted it with a super marine epoxy. After that he installed the mat. That was five years ago - you'd need a crowbar to get that stuff off.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Sea Deck is also coming up, mainly on the edges.
It also looks like its shrinking and you can see the glue on the edges where the mat use to be.
Not sure why, only 3 years old.
I store boat indoors, Always have cover on, and I don't use pressure washer but a hose to clean.
I installed when boat was new and thoroughly clean surface before install.
This product looked great when I first installed

Anyone one else notice the sea deck shrinking?
Thinking i should of went with the snap in

Attachments

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW here is the sea deck when I first installed

Attachments

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot any advice that you can offer?
We don't hear of the factory pads coming up much because they typically adhere to a slick surface. The upper deck on 190 models has molded in non skid surfaces so there is more potential for those pads to lift if not installed correctly.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BTW here is the sea deck when I first installed
The issue that you're seeing is related to the dark color of the pads. We learned about a year or two into selling that color that the 24 foot hull from 2015-Current has a draft angle in the bow that refracts sunlight onto the floor which in turn elevates the temperature above the melt point of the EVA foam. We have since discontinued the Chocolate over Black color and have advised customers to choose lighter colors. We have also seen this same type of melting happen with Storm Gray over Black and Smoke Gray over Black, but not nearly as often as with the darker chocolate color.

Also we've always tried to warranty these pads in situations like this. SeaDek has always been good about sending us material at no charge and we don't charge anything to the customer other than shipping for the replacement pads.

I suggest completely removing the chocolate pads in the cockpit and replacing with Terra over Black which is a lighter color but still looks nice with the upholstery and the factory chocolate SeaDek on the swim platform.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My Sea Deck is also coming up, mainly on the edges.
It also looks like its shrinking and you can see the glue on the edges where the mat use to be.
Not sure why, only 3 years old.
I store boat indoors, Always have cover on, and I don't use pressure washer but a hose to clean.
I installed when boat was new and thoroughly clean surface before install.
This product looked great when I first installed

Anyone one else notice the sea deck shrinking?
Thinking i should of went with the snap in
@Benny Sibbitt .....thanks for that post! Very insightful......and a GREAT HEAD'S-UP! We are considering adding Marine Mat to the cockpit and bow of our 2020 Yamaha SX195. I say marine Mat as that is what Yamaha installed at the factory on the two level swim platform. If we order it will definitely now be snap-down. I mentioned in another thread that a friend installed stick-down Sea Dek in his boat over the "non-skid" surface but used a sander to smooth the floor, acetone to clean then did the install. I have heard of too many fails after putting stick down products directly over "non skid" to ever try that....hence the snap-down. I think the color Yamaha used for our 2020 was titanium over black. the titanium color should be fine but the black base might attract some heat?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i contacted @JetBoatPilot and they are replacing all my cockpit sea deck under warranty. I have to pay to replace the swim deck because those pads
came with the boat.
Cannot wait to see how much of a pain its going to be to remove, clean and prep.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Benny Sibbitt .....hopefully not too much pain. Did JetBoatPilot recommend a removal procedure? I'm guessing it involves acetone. If so I respectfully suggest you use gloves and a solvent protecting mask!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just came across this thread while searching... Interestingly enough while up north on our last trip one of my passengers noticed the SeaDek bubbling up in a few places, some oddly in the middle of the piece. I really didn't think anything of it and glued, what I could, back down. My curiosity got the best of me as SeaDek is NOT cheap.

I did reach out to @JetBoatPilot, where I purchased the whole boat kit, and Kim responded immediately and was more than happy to help. I needed to send her a few pics and sounds like it would be covered under warranty.

Here are a few pics of my SeaDek situation:
Bow.jpg

Helm.jpg

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I just came across this thread while searching... Interestingly enough while up north on our last trip one of my passengers noticed the SeaDek bubbling up in a few places, some oddly in the middle of the piece. I really didn't think anything of it and glued, what I could, back down. My curiosity got the best of me as SeaDek is NOT cheap.

I did reach out to @JetBoatPilot, where I purchased the whole boat kit, and Kim responded immediately and was more than happy to help. I needed to send her a few pics and sounds like it would be covered under warranty.

Here are a few pics of my SeaDek situation:
View attachment 125256

View attachment 125257
@props2you ......very interesting. Good thing JetBoatPilot seems to be so good with warranty response but does seem too many customers are having adhesion issues!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The issue that you're seeing is related to the dark color of the pads. We learned about a year or two into selling that color that the 24 foot hull from 2015-Current has a draft angle in the bow that refracts sunlight onto the floor which in turn elevates the temperature above the melt point of the EVA foam. We have since discontinued the Chocolate over Black color and have advised customers to choose lighter colors. We have also seen this same type of melting happen with Storm Gray over Black and Smoke Gray over Black, but not nearly as often as with the darker chocolate color.

Also we've always tried to warranty these pads in situations like this. SeaDek has always been good about sending us material at no charge and we don't charge anything to the customer other than shipping for the replacement pads.

I suggest completely removing the chocolate pads in the cockpit and replacing with Terra over Black which is a lighter color but still looks nice with the upholstery and the factory chocolate SeaDek on the swim platform.
Thanks that's great information. My 2016 242 Limited S doesn't have a full sea deck kit only the swim platform and anchor locker. I have the darker gray with black lines (it came with the boat I bought used last year). I just ordered the piece that goes on the flat dash area in front of of the port chair and I noticed its the lighter gray with black lines. It doesn't match the darker gray with exactly but it still looks good so hopefully the lighter color will not deteriorate. Thanks for all the great information