• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea-Doo 210 Challenger updates

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm starting the install of the "winter" now spring updates. Based on the many recommendations on here I contacted Odin at Earmark Audio. A few emails and a phone call later the full JL audio treatment. The boats existing speaker holes were just over 6", so we went with MX 770 with the Blue LED Sport Grills for both cockpit and bow replacements, and a MX500/4 to power them.

20170308_122142.jpg

What a difference from the stock Jensen speakers.

20170308_120439.jpg

Cockpit speaker install only required about 5 minutes with a dremel sanding wheel to get them to fit. The Bow speakers took bit longer as I had to remove a 1/4 inch off the bottom to clear the cushion.

20170326_172123.jpg

Ran a 16 AWG wire loop around the entire boat and tied into the courtesy lights for now. If I add more, I may move to a separate switch.

20170326_212115.jpg

20170326_212104.jpg

Even without the amp installed yet, the speakers alone make a big difference.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Also replaced the 12V socket with the dual USB with voltage display from Amazon. Direct fit.

20170326_212816.jpg

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I replaced the courtesy lights last summer. Need to get a pic now with the speakers as well.
20160625_214223.jpg

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have the power / ground ran for the amp, may get to that tonite. For the speaker connections, boats wiring has an ISO connector, can I add an ISO plug to the amp, or is that not recommended?

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I got the amp installed tonite, and have a question to the more knowledgeable audio guys here. There is some static from the amp, even with the radio on mute. Adjusting the input sensitivity increases / decreases the volume. I adjusted the input sensitivity down some to where it is barely noticeable. I'm thinking there is a ground issue, boat has two batteries. Amp is wired to #2, both power and ground. Primary ground block, which the radio is grounded to, is connected to batt #1 with a 4 awg wire. There is a 6 awg wire connecting both negative battery terminals.

I moved the amp power and ground to batt #1 as a test, and the static was still there,so now I'm not sure what the issue could be. The #4 wire was a foot short of being able to connect to the batt #2 to test, but I'm guessing that would not fix the issue either. Any ideas?

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a ground loop. Should the head unit and amp use the same ground?

After going back thru everything, should the power for the amp be ran from a battery, or the dual battery switch?

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Hi Scott,
I'm looking at a used challenger, but am concerned that SeaDoo left the boat market. Have you experienced any difficulties in parts and/or repairs? Thanks!

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So far so good, motor parts etc are still readily available since they are the same as the PWC's. Many of the parts are all sourced from other manufactures anyways, so you can find the switches etc from them. Many stock sea doo parts are still available. What model are you looking at, a 210? We have been very happy with our's and it was much cheaper than a Scarab 215 :)

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That's a Challenger 210S, with a single 250hp motor.

Anchorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Cockpit speaker install only required about 5 minutes with a dremel sanding wheel to get them to fit. The Bow speakers took bit longer as I had to remove a 1/4 inch off the bottom to clear the cushion.

View attachment 53161

View attachment 53162
I have new MX770 speakers too. Can you explain the added challenge you faced installing the bow speakers? Was the top cushion/padding too close to the speaker and the hole needed to be moved downward?

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
For the two speakers in the back cockpit (at lumbar height) how much depth did you have replacing those speakers? I am looking at going for a M2-8HB Rockford Fosgate which has 3.38". Thanks!