• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea-Doo Speedster/Sportser advice?

goat6500

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
I'm looking for something small, light and reliable that I can trailer to and from a state boat ramp <1mile from my house. Something a little more versatile than a PWC. I was just on a friend's brand new Sea Doo Switch last week, which I really liked, but I don't want to spend $50k on something I'll probably use a couple of weekends a year.

I was looking at various Sea-Doo Speedsters/Sportsters for sale. Non-Supercharged, for reliability. Any input on these boats? I see they were made for many years with mutiple engine makes and configurations. Any particular years or models to avoid?

Thankful for any input...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ironic as I was at a garage sale this weekend. Guy was moving and selling a 2009 ( I think) speedster 150 with the single 155hp four stroke. Asking around $8500, which I thought was a good deal.

Avoid, avoid, avoid, the early 2000 Mercury powered SeaDoo boats. I say that after owning and loving our X20 with the Mercury 240efi. But the fear of that engine grenading and leaving us with a fiberglass bathtub was too great. It is nearly impossible to find anyone to work on it. And if you are handy enough to do your own work, it's hard to find parts, and expensive if you do. That being said, a maintained Merc is a solid motor.

At least the four stroke models use Rotax Four stroke engines the same as their PWC line. So getting assistance is not out of the question.

Good times, but not great in bigger waves. But for inland lakes and ripping rivers, it's a tilt-a-whirl for 4 or more.

Good luck,

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to have a 2006 Sportster. Fun little boat, but we found it just got too small as our kids got older and bigger. Had the 155hp Rotax, which was a simple, reliable engine, and had plenty of power for us for tubing with the kids. Had it for 3 years or so. Ours took on a bit of water when out, but I think it just needed a new carbon seal.
If you're ok with the small size, I'd totally recommend one. We ended up back in a Yamaha (19') for more space.

goat6500

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Excellent, thanks for the help!
One more question: I really like the smaller sportsters <1300lbs but those are only rated for 4 people and I have a family of 5. I see that the 1800 speedsters appear to be rated for 7 persons. Is that what the deal is with the 1800, they're bigger? I hate to go so heavy.....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Excellent, thanks for the help!
One more question: I really like the smaller sportsters <1300lbs but those are only rated for 4 people and I have a family of 5. I see that the 1800 speedsters appear to be rated for 7 persons. Is that what the deal is with the 1800, they're bigger? I hate to go so heavy.....
When they say 4, they mean it. Not like you can fudge when there are literally four seats. You may want to avoid the four seater right away.

When they stopped making the X20 and Challenger 2000/1800 class boats, they went to the Speedster 150, Challenger 180 and Speedster 200. The 200 is a 20ft boat with twin rotax four strokes. I really think that is a sweet spot that ranks right up there with the 190 class yamaha boats. They even made a speedster 200 wake edition with tower. They were cool boats and much better for more people.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm seeing Challenger 180's in my region in the $10-12K range. Single engine with a full windshield. The SE with towers are still under $20k. That may be stepping stone boat above the little 150's.

We are also seeing Yamaha 190/192's under 20K as well. Finally getting back to pre-covid pricing.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We looked heavily at challenger 180s before we bought our boat. At the time, it wase, the gf, the dogs, and whatever friends we wanted to bring out to party. Those boats are a nice starter boat, but small. They're not a party boat like a pontoon, but they're not a dedicated sports boat like a speedster. The big downside for.them.for is other than size was single engine. For some, that's a benefit, for us I wanted the

Speedster 200 was on my list as well. It was very much a sports boat still, not a "have people out" boat. They were also kind of rare, and lacked the full windshield. The speedster lineup in general is like a scale up jetski, rather than a scaled down boat (challenger is more like a scaled down boat).

We then started looking at the seadoo challenger 210 and 230. Bigger size, loved the rear sun pad, didn't like the prices or rarity though.

We split the difference and ended up on a Yamaha 230. Everyone said "buy your second boat first" and I have to agree. Had we gone with the challenger get 180, we would have been looking to move up in size quickly. The Yamaha 230 gave us enough space to have 6-8 people on comfortably with room to move about and places for drinks and snacks.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1800 was 18 feet long. Our Sportster 1800 could seat 7 adults and was an awesome boat for 14 years. Those before year model 2000 were 2 strokes.

Pretty reliable, other than dealing with the carb. 717 engine with 85hp. Had 2 of those.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would recommend the 4 stroke options in this day and are.

Big_O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2004 Speedster 200 310hp (not supercharged) and it’s fun and comfortable. It’s been easy to maintain and motor is similar as current Seadoo PWC Rotex 4-Tec. Probably stay away from older models unless you like tinkering with 2-stroke.

Mine will be for sale soon.

Igetwet

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I know this is an older thread, but to echo what Big O posted, the speedster 200 is what I’d be looking at gs the smaller models. Those are really 4 seat jet skis. The 20’ speedster is a real boat. Lots of room and storage, a rocket, yet easy to tow and store.

Tough decision, but I have our immaculate 2012 510hp speedster listed for sale as well.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would agree with that, the Speedster 200 series boats had a long run from the early 2000's, on up to the 2012 posted above. It was a great hull.

That and the fact that even the most power version, the 510hp was sold new for around $40k 12 years ago. So there should be no reason at all that a person could not buy one well under 20K. Especially the non wake version 510. As they are much more desirable in the market. My guess is they are a $15k boat since Yamaha AR192's are below $18k with a tower.

Igetwet

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Wow, where are you seeing these prices? You in a part of the world unaffected by bidenomincs?

Imo, the only thing a 200 speedster and a ar192 have is common is they’re jet powered. Other than that they’re completely different boats. Like a corvette vs a Subaru wagon.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, where are you seeing these prices? You in a part of the world unaffected by bidenomincs?

Imo, the only thing a 200 speedster and a ar192 have is common is they’re jet powered. Other than that they’re completely different boats. Like a corvette vs a Subaru wagon.
JD power bases it's pricing on actual closed sales. And COVID is over, the bubble has burst. I person cannot expect to only lose 25% on the value of a 12 year old boat, that's just not logical anymore.

You are right, the ar192 and 195 are a single supercharged engine that more closely compares to the 210 in power, but the speedster is more of a rocket, it's powerful. But has nowhere near the storage or capacity for people that even the smallest Yamaha's have. So there is give and take, but a good comparison none the less.

Most Seadoo Speedster 200's with the 510hp were sold well below 40K, as their list price was right at $40k new and discounted. Remember how they used to do that pre COVID? Boat dealers have started doing that again. Thus the used market is tanking right now. Note the ads on here from Yamaha dealers with 2023 boats on the lot. Yup, your bidenomics line does not apply anymore.

Like I said, you have a rocketship of a boat, and it's a good one. But it's not a $37K boat. That and the fact that yes, the motors are still made and supported, but the value dropped greatly when they stopped making them. One of the reasons we sold ours years ago. Even our 20ft X-20 based on the Challenger hull, had more space then the speedster 200, but obviously half the hp. When you own a boat that can pull over 50mph, it gets to the point that space is more important, as I doubt that extra 270hp puts more than 10mph more on the clock and most never run them WOT anyway (safely)

Igetwet

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Interesting. No price dropping on boats around here. They can barely get them on the lot.

I can see pricing of boats they have flooded the market with coming down sure, but again that’s trying to compare minivans that are still rolling off the line one after another vs a sports car that didn’t sell as well as minivans and therefore got the axe from the corporate board room. Not too different from what happened with the Camaro/firebird and mustangs in the early 2000s for example.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m glad you are taking my tone correctly, as I am by no means badmouthing your boat. It’s a great ride and considered one myself, until I found our X20 with more room and less money. But honestly, I paid less than your asking price for my 242LS. But this is the reason I’m am not having this conversation in your ad thread. It’s for the buyers info.

The biggest reason BRP stopped making boats, as the rocket ship boats like yours had a huge drop in demand. If that would have been the wake version with the tower, it literally would have sold by now. Even folks that don’t do board sports are under the impression they need the tower. Like old guys like me that love the tower for the Bimini and something to hang towels on (smile)

Your boat will sell, but anyone with any internet skills will realize as nice as it is, there is way more depreciation than 25% on 12 years. But the market will decide that, not me. I wish you all the luck in the world. As if you are right, the market will bear you a buyer.

Igetwet

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
You assume a lot. Stating that if there were some aluminum tubing over the top of the boat, completely ruining the lines and style of it, would have it sold instantly is laughable. Not everyone wants a tower.

Again, you’re trying to compare a rare high performance jet boat to an everyday jet boat that they’re making more of everyday. If old guys want to go slow and have more room that’s great and I respect that for them. Assuming that’s how everyone thinks is almost insulting.

Why do some think they have to be the pricing police? Perspective buyers are smart enough. They don’t need somebody trying to tell them what they should think.

Already getting interest btw.

Big_O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the meantime I have my 2004 Speedster for sale….

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I always join forums to openly argue with the members about something that is really special to me but not to most other people. Works great and I meet a lot of new friends.

Igetwet

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I’m the one who decided to be the price police and express my opinion as gospel for everyone else.