• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sea Foam fuel treatment, opinions?

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm sure there is many a thread about Sea Foam versus Ringfree that I have missed.
So, opinions on using Sea Foam in a boat with just over 50 hrs?

I put seafoam in every vehicle I own twice a year. One can in each vehicle with a full tank of gas and 2 cans in the boat with a full tank. Necessary? Maybe not but I believe in it and its not that much money.

Also, I'm always using unbranded ethanol free fuel so I'm sure there aren't any detergent additives in it like name brand stuff. I just hate ethanol.

I had a TON of fuel problems in my old Rinker (85hp Yamaha outboard with 20 gal internal tank) after fueling up at a marina. It led me to change the fuel line (which needed it desperately) and clean out a few other fuel system related things but I was still having problems.

On the recommendation of one of the guys that works for me I dumped a can of Sea-Foam in the tank. Problem solved. I had NO more issues. The guy that bought the boat from me has had no trouble in the last 4 years either.

Now I keep a can of Sea-Foam around for any time I suspect something might be going on with my fuel in any of my vehicles.

I put seafoam in every vehicle I own twice a year. One can in each vehicle with a full tank of gas and 2 cans in the boat with a full tank. Necessary? Maybe not but I believe in it and its not that much money.

Also, I'm always using unbranded ethanol free fuel so I'm sure there aren't any detergent additives in it like name brand stuff. I just hate ethanol.
x2, cheap insurance. A year of so ago, after a long run on the boat I believed I had a partially stuck fuel injector, I had a good bit of exhaust soot on the hull. After the trip, I put in 2 cans of Sea Foam and refueled with non-ethanol fuel (which I always use) and since then no problem.

Alos, at the end of the season I add Sea Foam to the fuel in all my small engines and the next season they all startup without issue, as with the boat I only use non-ethanol fuel.

I've used Sea Foam in the Land Rover and the boat with good results. The only other additive I use is PRI-G. I just bought a gallon of that for use in all the toys that sit for months.:cool:

I put that stuff in everything. Cars, boat, snowmobiles, mower, generator, etc. If it uses gas, it gets some Sea Foam. I cannot get ethanol free gas in this area except at marinas. I don't like to pay over $5.25 for gas. I run it every third tank and when I winterize. I even use it when I change oil in the cars. I will put a half can in and let the engine warmup, then drain. Really helps clean the sludge out.

GREAT POST ! I was introduced to seafoam about 2 years ago and barely use it, I've used it in chainsaws and weedwhackers, mowers etc...low risk stuff.. I bought a bottle of ring free recently... I think it was $22.......so YES, good to know folks are using it with positive results and it replaces ringfree.

It states its good for Diesels...but I'm pretty particular on what i add to my truck...Anyone use it on a diesel?

Never used any of the sort in my life and have not had issues. I think of that stuff as a placebo or just a waste of $$. I also dont believe in that whole Amsoil stuff either and again my engines have not failed me in my life.

Never used any of the sort in my life and have not had issues. I think of that stuff as a placebo or just a waste of $$. I also dont believe in that whole Amsoil stuff either and again my engines have not failed me in my life.

I agree. All of the anecdotes about using it and having no problems are not causal. It makes way too many claims for 200:1 ratio. It's essentially 60-95% lighter fluid, camp stove fuel (naphtha or derivative) plus the rest being rubbing alcohol. There were tests done on whether it dissolves carbon even at full strength (not diluted 200:1) and it did nothing. If it makes people feel better then great.

Thanks for the replies and opinions folks.
Great to have a community of boaters who will give honest advice and answers.
I bought the can of Seafoam so I guess I'll use it on the next tank. Not having any problems but Yamaha recommends Ringfree, so perhaps there is a reason.
Could be the reason is that Yamaha wants to sell Ringfree?

Autozone has a buy 1 get the 2nd half off. I believe till the end of Aug. Not sure if it is regional or not.

Evildwarf, Think about this for a second. Im 51 and have a fleet of trucks, cars, and power equipment some of which sits for the entire winter. I only used stabil in "SOME" of these engines and still I never have a problem. Now we are talking cars,trucks, boats, spray rigs, 2 cycle power tools, various combustion driven pieces. Shit, with all the things I have I would be a great target for those Amsoil crews. My history shows there is really no need for these magic elixirs in most situations.

If it is sold as an on road motor fuel it legally has to have a detergent package in it that meets a specific set of requirements when run in a specific test engine.

Of course there are allegations that at least one company has found a really cheap package that passes this test, but in real world engines causes more fouling than no detergent.

If it is sold as an on road motor fuel it legally has to have a detergent package in it that meets a specific set of requirements when run in a specific test engine.

Of course there are allegations that at least one company has found a really cheap package that passes this test, but in real world engines causes more fouling than no detergent.

That's good to know....but for a while, there used to be signs on the E0 pumps saying this was for boats and small engines only, not vehicles. I haven't seen that sign in a while but I bet they get around that by making that assumption. It does say "Unbranded Marine Fuel" on some of the pumps. At the off water stations, it's about 40 cents more than regular E10 on the water for boats, it's about 1.50 more per gallon than vehicle fuel at most E10 pumps. Yes, I haul 5 gallon cans to my boat when it's on the slip. One outing is usually about 5 gallons so it's easy to keep up.

Evildwarf, Think about this for a second. Im 51 and have a fleet of trucks, cars, and power equipment some of which sits for the entire winter. I only used stabil in "SOME" of these engines and still I never have a problem. Now we are talking cars,trucks, boats, spray rigs, 2 cycle power tools, various combustion driven pieces. Shit, with all the things I have I would be a great target for those Amsoil crews. My history shows there is really no need for these magic elixirs in most situations.
Evilsports, I appreciate you offering your opinion, seems like you have some good experience with motors to share here.
I welcome any experiences and thoughts that will make me a more knowledgeable boater.
Plus your avatar is the "Most Interesting Man In the World"!!!
"I don't often use fuel additives, but when I do......"

I use SeaFoam and I think it's magic. I don't know how it works and the logical parts of my brain say that it shouldn't. But...

I used to kind of collect abandoned motorcycles. If someone had an old "something" under a tarp in his grandfathers barn or something, I'd take it if I thought there was the slightest chance I could make it run reliably. Numerous times I've had carburetors professionally cleaned, rebuilt, acid bathed, etc. Every time, Seafoam makes them run better. Sometimes it takes a tank or two for real bad ones, but it does something and I don't mind paying for it. I run it every third tank in the boat, once every couple months in the Jeep (still on original injectors after 150k), once every six months in the Hyundai.

I have 6 dirt bikes and a plethora of small engines at home. Winterizing (we have to do that in Canada) was a pain, and if I didn't I would invariably end up with a spring carb rebuild on at least one. No fun on a multi-cylinder. Enter Stabil and since then I run some thru and don't even bother to drain the carbs now. I haven't tried seafoam but I am planning to put some in the boat and truck soon to give it a try. Cam.

My buick was occasionally having trouble starting. This could have been from a number of things, but I decided to run a can of seafoam in each of the next two tanks and the problem has gone away. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it was worth a try and seemed to work.

Back