• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadek from Jetboatpilot coming off

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I purchased Seadek kit from Jetboatpilot 3 seasons ago for my 2016 242 Limited SE (but installed it towards the end of that 1st season). At the time, they were offering life time warranty. Towards the end of last season, a couple pieces started coming off. I contacted jetboatpilot to place a claim on the warranty. After a few days, they (or the manufacturer) determined that I didn’t follow the installation process (which was not true at ALL). It’s actually a joke that they determined that I didn’t follow the process without looking at the boat. They offered to send me adhesive pads to install the few pieces that came off. I agreed since they were only a couple of pieces and was hoping that not other pieces will come off.

Well, this season, pretty much all the pieces came off. I tried to use a 3M glue to put them back but they keep coming off. Last weekend a large piece flew out while on the way to Austin

Has anyone had a similar experience with Seadek. If so, how were you able to glue them back on?
Needless to say, I’m very disappointed with Jetboatpilot‘a handling of my warranty claim. For $1,000, I was wishing for better product and service.

Attachments

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm glad you brought this up. I was planning on joining in on the Seadeck group buy with JBP. Now I'm not so sure if they won't honor the warranty and try to lay blame to avoid restitution. Hmm....

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I'm glad you brought this up. I was planning on joining in on the Seadeck group buy with JBP. Now I'm not so sure if they won't honor the warranty and try to lay blame to avoid restitution. Hmm....
Don’t get me wrong.. it’s a nice looking product.. bit based on my experience, it will not last more than 2 seasons. Knowing what o know today, is have stuck with the carpet

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210 fsh is somewhere in the 2k range to do the whole boat. There's no way I would pay that for something that doesn't last!

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am on 7 seasons with no issues with my seadeck from JBP... I am guessing you have a warranty claim on your ripped seats as well.
Only my opinion, but by the looks of how you treat your seats, and interior, and how dirty they are, I lean toward JBP and bad installation.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 6.39.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-08 at 6.44.19 PM.png

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had mine for numerous years as well. Heavily used and no issues at all. Did you use acetone (or something like that) to clean the floor before adhering?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I am on 7 seasons with no issues with my seadeck from JBP... I am guessing you have a warranty claim on your ripped seats as well.
Only my opinion, but by the looks of how you treat your seats, and interior, and how dirty they are, I lean toward JBP and bad installation.

View attachment 121857View attachment 121859
Presumptuous are we? Lol

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I have had mine for numerous years as well. Heavily used and no issues at all. Did you use acetone (or something like that) to clean the floor before adhering?
I surely did

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very happy Seadek owner here after six years in use. Are you towing without a cover? What is your native climate? Is it ever left outside without a cover? It has held up VERY well with my use. The only change since new is they do shrink a little over time so you may start to see adhesive exposed at the edges. Everyone has different preferences. For us, it has been a favorite mod and the whole family LOVES it compared to the factory carpet. Your experience does not seem to be typical based on the feedback from the many who have gone with JBP Seadek For years. Not saying it’s your fault, just some factor is different from the majority. What did you do with the snap screw holes when you installed?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would tend to go with bad install, but either way they should warranty. A few bucks for them equals a great custom experience and reviews.

If am up in the air about using them in September for group buy. I kind of want custom SeaDek and they are significantly higher priced than my local SeaDek dealer even with installation included.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@JetBoatPilot what was faulty with the install and how did you determine the cause of failure?

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Poor install....you literally can’t even get this crap off if done properly. I sure as F wouldn’t warranty your workmanship...And why should they.. You actually think the stuff was defective? Come on...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not the best prepper. I had a similar experience on some pieces. I thought I cleaned it pretty well, but at season 3 some mats were peeling. Clean again and contact cement on...They are back on. It gets mighty hot in Texas, not sure if that is related.

One thing I will say, they don't peel off all at once. as soon as they start to peel off you should attack the peeling edge to prevent from spreading.

It's a great product, and I have it on my swim platform, but whether 3 or 9 years, it's eventually going to need replacement, and I really hate dealing with the glue, so I am not yet a buyer for the inside. That's not JPBs fault, just my preference.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed mine in 2015. No peel up issues at all. Now, mine is stored indoors (not climate controlled) and not towed much at all. So I too am interested in your storage profile.

Any chance the acetone was still wet when you installed?

The replacement adhesive they sent--did that work or was that one of the pieces that came off?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I reinstalled the swim deck on my 09 and it looked perfect after three seasons when I sold it. After the first season on the 17, I got rid of the carpet for JBP Seadeck and it's held up really well. The biggest thing I learned is when leaving the anti pooling poles in the cover is to take a microbifer cloth and put it under the poles -- so it protects the decking better.

Based on the looks of th e fiberglass, it looks like that boat has had rough life.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I
Very happy Seadek owner here after six years in use. Are you towing without a cover? What is your native climate? Is it ever left outside without a cover? It has held up VERY well with my use. The only change since new is they do shrink a little over time so you may start to see adhesive exposed at the edges. Everyone has different preferences. For us, it has been a favorite mod and the whole family LOVES it compared to the factory carpet. Your experience does not seem to be typical based on the feedback from the many who have gone with JBP Seadek For years. Not saying it’s your fault, just some factor is different from the majority. What did you do with the snap screw holes when you installed?
it’s
I reinstalled the swim deck on my 09 and it looked perfect after three seasons when I sold it. After the first season on the 17, I got rid of the carpet for JBP Seadeck and it's held up really well. The biggest thing I learned is when leaving the anti pooling poles in the cover is to take a microbifer cloth and put it under the poles -- so it protects the decking better.

Based on the looks of th e fiberglass, it looks like that boat has had rough life.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thanks for the few who posted useful comments.

Since many of you seem to swear by it, and I know that I cleaned it very well, installed it right, and kept it in enclosed storage (not air conditioned), I’m thinking it might be the Houston heat. It’s worth mentioning that the stock padding that came on the Boat’s rear platform and saw the heaviest use is intact. I didn’t also mentioned that another friend of mine who lives in Austin had similar issues with JBP’s Seadek he installed on his FSH. JBP however honored their warranty and sent him a replacement (he no longer has the boat, so I can’t comment on how the replacement did).

I posted this for 2 reasons:
1) to let people know JBP reneged on their warranty (without seeing the boat or provide evidence of wrong installation) - it’s up to you to do what you wish with this info.
2) seek guidance from your experience on how to glue the loose pieces on.

I wish if those who passed on their unsolicited judgement would’ve invested time to be helpful (Just my $0.02)

Thanks again for those who posted helpful comments!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While it sucks that JBP did not honor the warranty without the missing piece, perhaps calling back and asking for the missing piece to be remade for a fee along with someone else's order, he might be able to provide the missing piece at a reasonable cost.

These self adhesive mats all use the same supposedly top shelf 3m adhesive, so I'm not certain you will find a more powerful glue to use in another product.

I'm also in Houston, keep an eye out for a sx230 with red upholstery. That's mine.

Best of luck!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t let this one story stop you from getting it. You will find many many more satisfied seadek owners and Jetboat Pilot customers than you will find not satisfied. This is the first story I’ve seen where a piece has completely come off, and if JetBoatPilot says the warranty was void, there is probably a good reason.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I wouldn’t let this one story stop you from getting it. You will find many many more satisfied seadek owners and Jetboat Pilot customers than you will find not satisfied. This is the first story I’ve seen where a piece has completely come off, and if JetBoatPilot says the warranty was void, there is probably a good reason.
While it sucks that JBP did not honor the warranty without the missing piece, perhaps calling back and asking for the missing piece to be remade for a fee along with someone else's order, he might be able to provide the missing piece at a reasonable cost.

These self adhesive mats all use the same supposedly top shelf 3m adhesive, so I'm not certain you will find a more powerful glue to use in another product.

I'm also in Houston, keep an eye out for a sx230 with red upholstery. That's mine.

Best of luck!
Thanks. Will give that a try.
I’ve taken the boat to San Jac several times this season. I’ve recently moved it to Austin to enjoy the lakes there.

My boat is a 2016 Red 242 Limited SE.. not easy to miss.