• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadoo challenger 180 low voltage

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
07 challenger 180 se

So after 2 weekends of bad weather we finally had a clear one....got down to dock and out in the water...started to take off and got that low volt warning + code...the boat just now has 30 hours on it....so I had a battery tester on me and battery read nearly 100% charged....so I found the 2 fuses that are tied in with the charging system 30 and 20 and replaced.....took off again and got about 50 yards and code goes again....had multi meter with and check battery with motor off and it read 12.6v...started the motor and at idle it was 14.8v...so I drove around for about hour with low voltage warning coming on basically on and off the whole time.....once I got home I checked battery percentage and it was 100%......
Replaced rectifier and had battery tested...water tested again and same thing..
Had the dealer look at it and they seen the code go off but was no longer there..cleared the computer for me...
Water tested again and still 12 volt low...it really sucks driving with my thumb over the buzzer alarm...
Any idea guys what I should do?

I wonder if there is a loose or corroded contact somewhere? Do you know where the voltage sensor reads at? Can you use your multimeter to check the voltage at the voltage sensor?

Thanks for the reply....

Yea I have gone over all connections...even cut out and installed 2 new fuse holders for the charging system...I will go over every connection again negative and positive and recheck...yea I tested the rectifier and stator with multi meter and readings are spot on with factory specs....

Thanks

I wonder if there is a loose or corroded contact somewhere? Do you know where the voltage sensor reads at? Can you use your multimeter to check the voltage at the voltage sensor?

Sorry forgot to answer you about voltage sensor...not sure if I even have one...I'm still learning about this boat...if I do this could be the problem

Thanks

It sounds like your charging system and battery are working correctly.

There must be a sensor (voltmeter) somewhere that is falsely identifying the low voltage condition. Finding that would be my next step in diagnosing. That way you could check to see if the voltage is low at the sensor or the sensor is reporting incorrectly.

Dejavu.

Last summer, my 07 180SE was doing the exact same thing. (with only 47 hours on it) Look for a 3? (maybe 2) amp fuse near the...umm...starter solenoid I think. (follow the positive lead down port side in the engine bay, pretty sure it goes to solenoid). 2 inline fuses right there. One is absurdly small. Mine had dirty contacts. Cost me about $400 to find it, heh (in random part replacement).

I thought I posted about it here, but can't seem to find it. Might've been on the seadoo forum.

Dejavu.

Last summer, my 07 180SE was doing the exact same thing. (with only 47 hours on it) Look for a 3? (maybe 2) amp fuse near the...umm...starter solenoid I think. (follow the positive lead down port side in the engine bay, pretty sure it goes to solenoid). 2 inline fuses right there. One is absurdly small. Mine had dirty contacts. Cost me about $400 to find it, heh (in random part replacement).

I thought I posted about it here, but can't seem to find it. Might've been on the seadoo forum.
I replaced the 30 amp and the 20 amp fuse holder and fuses but your saying theres a 3 amp or 2 amp fuse?....so it's smaller then the strand size fuses? Around have the size?...the holder and fuses I replaced where in that General area.....if you don't mind the next time your in your boat could you snap a pic...but tomorrow I'll start looking for it..

I actually sold mine a couple weeks ago, so no can do on the pic. I know it was a 3amp, in an inline holder. I'm almost positive it was right next to the starter solenoid, and next to another (30a?) fuse. I'll tell ya how I found it...after replacing the voltage regulator and testing the stator, I just started testing for continuity and tracing the wires from the regulator to the stator. It was in that circuit. Sorry it's all a bit fuzzy, it's been almost a year.

No that's ok thanks for the info..,the funny thing is when this first started happening to me I found your thread on seadoo forum and got 90% of the info I know now from that...I'll give it a good look over tomorrow....start pulling fuses all over again...

Thanks

The only 3 amp fuse I found is for the automatic bilge....not sure where the other fuse is your referring to.

Thanks

The only 3 amp fuse I found is for the automatic bilge....not sure where the other fuse is your referring to.

Thanks

Hey brother, I have the same beeping issue with on my 180 challanger. Now i have the 12 volt warning flashing randomly. I looked for a 30 amp fuse but can not find. The solenoid you both spoke of is basically the off and on switch to the battery correct? I checked each fuse holder near there and only saw 20 amps, a 10 amp and a 1 amp strangely where the 2 thinner red wires connected. Isn't that where the 30 amp fuse should be? Could be possible previous owner or dealer switched out amp for wrong amperag . Could you take picture of where your 30 amp fuse was located? Thank you for any help you can give me.

The switch we were talking about is the voltage rectifier or regulator it's called...your year layout has changed from ours so I'm not sure where yours is...mine is located on top of my air box but you have a air filter on yours so it's in a different location...the 30 amp fuse is in line with it...what you could do is get a volte meter and test your battery and this will tell us if it is bad or not...test the battery with engine off it should read about 12.6v...start the engine and should be around 13v..keep the meter on and have someone rev the motor for you and if the volts drop below 12.6v more then likely the regulator is bad...it could also mean the stator is bad but doubt it , it's rare for them to fail...there basically a alternator...
So if that all checks out good then you got a simple fix..gotta be a ground wire connected to the engine that has rust between the ground wire and washer...sand it and put marine gease on bolt and washer..
If your driving around all day and your battery is staying charged then the rusty bolt sounds like your issue...if your battery isn't charging it sounds like you voltage regulator...
Good luck let us no..

The switch we were talking about is the voltage rectifier or regulator it's called...your year layout has changed from ours so I'm not sure where yours is...mine is located on top of my air box but you have a air filter on yours so it's in a different location...the 30 amp fuse is in line with it...what you could do is get a volte meter and test your battery and this will tell us if it is bad or not...test the battery with engine off it should read about 12.6v...start the engine and should be around 13v..keep the meter on and have someone rev the motor for you and if the volts drop below 12.6v more then likely the regulator is bad...it could also mean the stator is bad but doubt it , it's rare for them to fail...there basically a alternator...
So if that all checks out good then you got a simple fix..gotta be a ground wire connected to the engine that has rust between the ground wire and washer...sand it and put marine gease on bolt and washer..
If your driving around all day and your battery is staying charged then the rusty bolt sounds like your issue...if your battery isn't charging it sounds like you voltage regulator...
Good luck let us no..

I found the 30 amp fuse and it was melted! Switched it out and the 12 volt sign went away and a didn't heat any speratic beeps. I'll take it out on the water and see if all stays good. What could cause the fuse to heat up like that? I did install after market speakers and head unit.

I found the 30 amp fuse and it was melted! Switched it out and the 12 volt sign went away and a didn't heat any speratic beeps. I'll take it out on the water and see if all stays good. What could cause the fuse to heat up like that? I did install after market speakers and head unit.
Glad you found the issue!!

Back