• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaRay jet boat

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I guess the new Sea Ray jet boat did not take off after all. I wasn't impressed when I saw it at the boat show last year but hoped for a little competition to help hold costs of the new Yamaha down. Thoughts?

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SeaRay cancelled the project. Check Scarab Jet Boats for competition.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SeaRay cancelled the project that's the first I've heard of it. Its funny but it does suck because of competition. I wasnt impressed with the glastron jet boat or scarab

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am anxious to see the Chaparral Vortex jet boat in person. The things I have seen online look nice, but you are steal dealing with potential reliability issues and no cleanout ports. The lack of a cleanout port is a show stopper for me.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if they had taken any deposits. That would be embarrassing to have to return those checks.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No clean out. No jet boat.
1st time buyer won't care though

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good Morning. It APPEARS the CHAPARRAL VORTEX's will be a serious jet boat contender, and finally offer Yamaha some competition.
There are 3 models coming in their line-up: A 20 footer, a 22 footer, and a 24" - 3" model.
Powered by BRP ROTAX engines, I have discussed with them some of the benefits they'll be offering.
HOWEVER: As of 2 months ago, Chaparral engineers were still working out out some of the kinks. It looks like it'll be mid' summer before they start showing up. Maybe sooner, but only time will tell.
One excellent example, and this shows they are trying hard to bring forth a quality offering, is the NOISE factor. They still want to reduce it a lot more.
So my take is this: Until they come forth with the final product available for purchase, maybe we should sit by quietly and give them the benefit of the doubt. Because IF the Chaparral VORTEX's do offer some real benefits, we, as Yamaha owners, will be the final benefactors. Because of good, 'ole Free Enterprise and Competition. This means Yamaha will finally have to start working on overcoming some of the shortcomings in our beloved JetBoats they have not dealt with some some time now.
I personally LIKE competition. It makes all of the survivors stronger, and this means the consumer is better off.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good Morning. It APPEARS the CHAPARRAL VORTEX's will be a serious jet boat contender, and finally offer Yamaha some competition.
There are 3 models coming in their line-up: A 20 footer, a 22 footer, and a 24" - 3" model.
Powered by BRP ROTAX engines, I have discussed with them some of the benefits they'll be offering.
HOWEVER: As of 2 months ago, Chaparral engineers were still working out out some of the kinks. It looks like it'll be mid' summer before they start showing up. Maybe sooner, but only time will tell.
One excellent example, and this shows they are trying hard to bring forth a quality offering, is the NOISE factor. They still want to reduce it a lot more.
So my take is this: Until they come forth with the final product available for purchase, maybe we should sit by quietly and give them the benefit of the doubt. Because IF the Chaparral VORTEX's do offer some real benefits, we, as Yamaha owners, will be the final benefactors. Because of good, 'ole Free Enterprise and Competition. This means Yamaha will finally have to start working on overcoming some of the shortcomings in our beloved JetBoats they have not dealt with some some time now.
I personally LIKE competition. It makes all of the survivors stronger, and this means the consumer is better off.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian
Agreed Mikey

I wonder if they will create a Clean-Out option? Or is that fundamentally impossible with the BRP plant?

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I too like free enterprise. When I get my survey from Yamaha I always complain how they came out with the SX230's with a very reasonable and affordable boat for a family. Now it's impossible for 30 and 40 something's to afford. Not all. Also, they have not fixed some of the problems ya'll have talked about just because of the no competition part of the equation. I'm so sold on Yamaha it would take a lot to get me into another line. My 05 is still in great shape and runs great as I've learned to take care of it. (Thanks to a lot of people on this site.) As we get closer to retirement and living on the lake full time I would like to upgrade. Used is our closest option.
Papa

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed Mikey

I wonder if they will create a Clean-Out option? Or is that fundamentally impossible with the BRP plant?
Good question. WhenI spoke with the engineer, I was more focussed on the power plant, electronic control features like "IBR" . which COULD mean the Chaparral's have a REAl NEUTRAL (not "switches off."), etc. I apologize for not thinking to ask him 1 of the more important questions. And knowing my Seadoo's like I THINK I do, IMHO it is not "fundamentally impossible." Might be "unlikely" however .... LOL>. However, Chaparral is a really bright company, and I feel sure, that the item of "cleaning things out" will be addressed 1 way or another. Best Wishes to you ! Mikey Lulejian

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I too like free enterprise ... .as I've learned to take care of it. (Thanks to a lot of people on this site.)
As we get closer to retirement and living on the lake full time I would like to upgrade. Used is our closest option.
Papa
Papa: You FOUND my Secret !!!!!!! . LOL ! Have a Great Week ! Mikey Lulejian

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Papa: You FOUND my Secret !!!!!!! . LOL ! Have a Great Week ! Mikey Lulejian
Mikey,
We can see it, we just can't grab it yet. You too have a great week. Papa

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was told by a very reliable source that the Chaparral, Scarab and Glastron lines will not be able to add a clean out port like Yamaha's because it is patented. Now, from what I know about patents, you get 20 years from the time the patent is issued until it expires. So given that Yamaha began making boats in 1996, and we are in 2014, the new makers possibly can add the ports in 2016-2017 time frame. The question is can they last that long?

I saw a 203 Vortex in Tampa and, while nice, it was also $41,000 for a 20 foot boat. Yamaha's best 19'2" boat is $33,000 with all the options included in the price. For $8K I think the guy selling the boat is going to have to really put on his selling shoes to close that deal.

Yamaha has almost 20 years selling Jet Boats. Chaparral has less than one. I'm just sayin'!

Gthunter5

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to stir the pot but I don't like the fit and finish of my ar190. I think there's a reason it's $8k cheaper.

The scarab looked nice at the boat show this year. I though the seat material was 10x better.

I'm partial to chaparral since we had one growin up. Vortex looks nice.

Over $45k for me and I start looking at an axis or the new mastercraft...with a big ole low rpm engine.

My .02