• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seastar/Teleflex cables - anyone cut threads to shorten?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just installed new bucket cables for our 2012 SX240 and it's been driving me insane.
Got the new ones per what everyone else here's been doing - Teleflex CCX63318.
Pulled out the old cables, put in the new ones, and the buckets are almost closed when in neutral vs 1.1"/30mm opening.
Both old and new cables are labeled CCX63318!
BUT...
Measuring the actual cable (not the sleeve...) I get a difference in lengths old to new of 11/16"...!
There's about an inch of threads at each end so I could cut them off and still have enough left for the couplings to screw on but I haven't seen anyone else talk of having to cut them.
Sigh. Another gorgeous boating day wasted.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, but what's the issue? Do you HAVE to cut it? or can you leave with the extra length? If you want to cut it, you need to put a nut in it behind the cut, so after your cut you can unscrew the nut and restore the threads.

I have re threaded a cable that snapped before to save a weekend, so it can surely be cut both willing and unwillingly.

It is strange you need it cut. can you triple check your logic there before you cut?

Best of luck!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, that seems to be the only solution I'm coming up with now. When I put the cables in and crank both the clip at the throttle and the swivel thingy at the bucket end as far down as they'll go, I only have a 3/8" opening in the nozzle rather than the 1.1"/30mm Yamaha recommends...
20200530_134819.jpg

Going back out to the boat to check once again since it seems so illogical. Even contemplating PULLING OUT one new cable and putting it beside the old one to see if I'm losing my mind.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do the cables have same dimensions on both ends? Can they be reversed so that they will fit?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same dimensions.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe the cable was cut wrong at the factory? Can you confirm the distance out of the sleeve if you measure it on both cables is the same? Both cables ought to have the same exposed wire if you add both sides if they are the same model. As a sort of sanity check. ---====----- both ends added together from both cables should match.If you decide to cut vs try to return, Be sure to put that nut inside the cut to restore the threads. Not sure if there is some spec to look up to understand the amount of thread that's supposed to be available.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last guess..any chance the original cable snapped and there is an extra piece of thread inside the piece to be threaded in?? Wild guess.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Beachbummer , yeah, that was the thought that led me to the conclusion that the new cables were longer. I measured the ends sticking out of the new and old cables and added them up (measuring from the "slot" in the cable that secures them to the tip) and did the same thing with the old ones. The individual dimensions don't matter - but the sum should be the same. (Likewise, the length of the sleeve portion doesn't matter.) That's how I eventually figured out that the new ones were 11/16 longer and I wasn't losing my mind - not for that at least.

Took out the Roto Zip (no screwing around with a hacksaw!) and shaved about 3/8 off each end of both new cables and now I have a 1" gap in neutral!

Thanks for the input!