• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Second Plug Blowout in Two Weeks

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a great day on the water Saturday. The only issue was that my starboard clean out plug blew out for the second time in two weeks. I chalked the first one up as user error, even though I religiously do the three firm pulls method. Now I'm wondering if I have another issue. The first one was at slow speed and no big deal. This one was at about 6000 RPM and more forceful. The plug lodged in the tube but the water must have come up with force because it killed both engines. The hatch stayed closed but maybe the water was enough to throw one of the kill switches? I'm still not quite sure what killed the engines. The plug was lodged in pretty tight. I had to put a dock line around the T to get it out.
I pulled the other plug to let some of the standing water drain and the bilge pump seemed to take care of the rest. That was a lot of water though. It didn't come up much into the engine compartment and I realized after we were out of the water that some of the internal plugs were open. We were in a huge rain storm last weekend and I opened them to drain the boat and never closed them. So I parked on an incline and left them open again.
I learned two things though. The amount of water is that comes in during a blowout is surprisingly large. When I pulled the boat out and inclined it, the bilge came on again. I assume that was because some water was up in the bow and made its way back once inclined. The other, was that when the engines get killed at speed, the loss of steering is pretty scary.
I've been perfectly comfortable with no fins and the handling around docks, etc. But this might make me reconsider. Do the fins help in this scenario? The first step might be EZ-locks so that if the plugs don't blow, the loss of steering hopefully won't be an issue. But there could be other causes for an engine to be killed I suppose.
I'd welcome any suggestions or experience from others.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure about the fins in this scenario but I can vouch for the EZ-locks simple install and they work.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fins DO help on slowdown. I have Thrust Vectors (which spring up out of the way when running) and the effect is noticeable.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
EZ locks are essential. Magnum AK fins give me steering when moving forward even after engines off.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put ez loks on before I even took my boat out. They work perfectly.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Having all time "high and low speed" enhanced steering helps if your engines stall or in this situation and even if you throttle back fast to avoid a collision. The magnum A K system with fangs and EZ locks is not expensive and they provide a new level of safety and confidence when you are out on the water, also a lot less counter steering at speed or fighting to turn the boat quickly, the Magnum A K system with fangs was designed for this style of Yamaha jet boat so you can enjoy your boating more and relax, as for the ez locks , those are a no brainer. There is no way to know if a clean out plug is going to release on you , complete blowout or partial one, See what goes on inside your plug
to understand why pulling on it to check really means nothing.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where does the water enter the bilge when you have a blowout? I'm assuming that the water is forced through the hatch between the clean outs?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a "normal" blowout just disengages the plug and if your really unlucky shoots the plug through the cleanout hatch and you just have a projectile to be worried about,

a lodged or slanted plug (unusual but does happen) can push the rubber cleanout tube off it's attachment at the hatch cover and then when you try to apply thrust that is when all that water goes directly into the bilge, more power = more water in bilge

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where does the water enter the bilge when you have a blowout? I'm assuming that the water is forced through the hatch between the clean outs?
That's exactly where it goes. The oval hatch between the ports goes straight to the bilge.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
get the EZ locks. Simple, effective solution.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
+1000 for EZ Locks. I install my plugs religiously, but after a week of boating (leaving them in, as the boat stayed in the water), when I went to take them out, I noticed that the plug had already "de-latched" (as if I had pressed the button). I am thinking that the plug would have blown, ut was saved from doing so by the EZ locks. Cheapest piece of mind you'll buy for the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glad you have them for the weekend