• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Selling boat out of state?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Had an offer on my boat, buyer is out of state and offered to buy it via check mailed to me. Claims I can wait for funds to clear, and they will arrange pickup/shipping. They also didn’t ask to see it which may or may not be a red flag, but I don’t have much experience selling a cars/boats. Any risk from my side doing it this way? Want to make sure I am clear from any potential fraud here, if ok how long before all is clear on the check?

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a scam.
Do not accept money from this person. Do not send money to this person.
Just stop communicating with them all together.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a scam. If they can write a check they can bring cash, a cashiers check or send a wire,

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots of red flags going on there! I agree, just stop talking to him. If someone is really interested, they'll figure out a way to meet up with you and bring cash or a cashiers check which you can call the issuing bank to verify.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I purchased out of state, our two banks were talking to each other before I left on a 1500 mile one way drive. They held the funds until I had a good sea trial. And still maintained contact until the lean was cleared and the title was transferred. Much safer, and they protected both of us.

It was in their best interest to communicate, as I had a loan on the purchase, and the bank wanted to be sure I was not scammed. And the seller wanted to be sure the funds were secure prior to the sea trial as a valid offer. As he held the boat while I traveled to meet up. And we planned on towing it away that afternoon. He confirmed the funds, while the marina put it on the trailer and we ran to Walmart to get a trailer wiring adapter.

All in all, it was worth the trip if only to go for a ride on salt water before bringing it back home to the cool fresh water of Minnesota