• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Selling boat, what to expect process wise

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm fairly convinced that it's time for me to sell. With 2 kids under 2, we just don't have the time to use it, and we don't have the nice easy lake to boat on that we did in NC.

Boat is an 07 sx230, not perfect, needs seats redone, needs good cleaning, fairly low hours, and overall been reliable.

What's reasonable to expect as far as the selling process goes? The boat is stored on the trailer, and frankly, I'm not interested in letting people take it out for a water test, or me having to pull it out and take it on the water for a bunch of people that maybe will, maybe won't buy it(see time thing). Is it reasonable to expect people to be OK with seeing it run on the hose? Are people going to expect to get to drive the boat around for a bit to decide if they like it?

I know I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, but when I bought the boat, I got it from a consignment seller, and they drove the boat for a quick sea trial.

So what says the forum, is it reasonable to expect to sell a boat basically in the driveway? Am I better off trying to put this with a consignment lot?

I’d say people are gonna want a water test but you might find someone that would take it while running on the hose…slim chance…

I feel ya on the young kids; we have a 1 year old and it is tough to even take her out, I just know next year when she’s 2 she is going to love it. But we also have two lakes within 30 min that aren’t rough which in your case you don’t have that..

Good luck on the sale though, sad you have to get rid of it!

When I sold mine, the guy wanted to drive it. Luckily it was stored in a marina on a boat lift. The guy paid cash. Literally had a sack of cash. It was too much to count so we went to a bank together and I had the bank count the money then deposit it. I gave the guy a bill of sale and then started the title transfer process with the bank that had the loan.

I would say you'll need to vet out the serious buyers from the not so serious, and then make them give a couple hundred dollar deposit to take it for a drive.

Expect a lot of Craig’s list / Facebook fakers to contact you if you are selling it yourself. I don’t even respond to those making offers before seeing it. Some guys seem to be trying to hone their negotiation skills.

as for buying without a sea trial, I generally would not do so so I offer to meet a buyer at the ramp for a quick session but ask for a non refundable amount to cover you fuel and time, like $100, which would be credited towards the sale price of they buy it.

another option is to do and record a compression check of each engine to show them. I’ve done them myself on pwcs I’ve purchased but under The condition that if I break it (eg cross thread the plugs I have either have to cover the repair or buy the pwc).

Sold 2 jet skis and a boat with no water test. The jet skis the guy wanted to see it run on the hose. The boat he came looked at it and bought it on the spot. Did a bill of sale and signed the title over. Took a copy of his license and was good to go.

Edit: I told everyone who was interested they could come see it and we could negotiate a price. If they did that and were serious about buying it then, only after those conditions were met we could then do a water test if they would buy it that day after the water test. That is how I kept from actually doing the "water tests" (Free joy rides).

I would discount heavily as a buyer with no water test. One option is to record recent video of the boat working as expected to placate that concern.

If you know the boat is in good working condition and runs well, as suggested you can offer test ride with cash/check on hand, as last step in process

Condition is everything and if a real buyer can see how something has been cared for, that goes a long way. I have sold many boats, none with a water test. New owner could appreciate the meticulous care i put into every boat.
One of my fourwinns was bought by a guy who drove from South Bend to Rhode island, ran on hose and he drove it back in the morning. I offered a water test, he said no need and he kept that boat for years, we still keep in touch 12 years later.

Back