• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sentry (or any) boat fenders and trailer guide poles

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Second year AR195 owner.

Our lake has a two dock/four lane boat ramp. LOTS of vehicle traffic. Unfortunately, you don't have any idea which side of the boat will be on the dock when you first come into the cove until you're next up. We're using Sentry fenders on both sides, which are working well. My wife isn't comfortable docking at all. (I have CJ fins to install once it stops snowing. Perhaps this will help).

So as we enter the no wake cove, she'll put out the six fenders and four dock lines (two a side) so we can use either side for landing. Once we're on the dock, she retains the ropes and I sprint for the truck/trailer. This obviously means we're in the way, which kinda sucks. (I HATE idiots on docks and I really try hard not to be one of them).

Once I've backed the trailer in, she'll guide the boat up to me then I grab it and winch it all the way on. Then I jump back in the truck and drive out. It's been working fine to a point but because I'm winching, the trailer is more submerged than it probably should be and the boat never seems to be sitting correctly on the bunks once I'm out. I'm concerned about winching with less trailer in the water since I don't want to crack the hull, ever. We are, however, allowed to power load on this ramp.

I want to go with the trailer guide poles and then have her drive it on. She's really nervous about the idea of dropping me on the dock, then backing it into the boat cove traffic and hang out while I get the truck, then try to maneuver back between the floating boats to get to our trailer. So for now, I'm assuming we'll still remain at the dock while I get the trailer. She also can't back the trailer up either.

I'm guessing this year, with the CJ fins and trailer guides, she'd have enough slop in driving the boat towards the trailer and wouldn't have an issue getting the boat between the poles enough for the bunks to grab it properly.

But the question I have is, do you by choice, remove the fenders in order to get it loaded between the poles? Or do the guide poles typically have enough room to still have the fenders out? Or do they have to come off?

Anybody load this way?

Really trying to streamline retrieval this season if I can, while not having my wife get stressed with the stupid amount of boat/truck/trailer traffic we have to deal with on weekends.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear you. I’m currently doing all steps to launch and retrieve myself. My crew is getting better though.

What I do is submerge the trailer just until the tops of the fenders are beneath the water. This allows me to aim for the apex of the front bunks. Once I hit those it centers things and I winch up to the bow stop then drive off.

What we have the added benefit is the courtesy docks that I dock and tie up to before I get the trailer. The crew works on gathering life jackets and prepping for shore while I get the trailer.

I don’t think you want to remove fenders, it seems like you’re backing the trailer too deep and guides aren’t going to be the silver bullet for you.

Note that I have the older 230 hull and MFI trailer, I didn’t catch what you have.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had to temporarily flip the 8" cylindrical fenders out of the way or they would contact the guide poles. We left them tied up but rope for fenders had enough room to flip out of the way and when clearing the poles simply toss them back for the docking. I still do the same with the big Exile balls. You want the guide poles 1-2" from the rub rail.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We use the regular Taylor-Made inflatable fenders. They can get in the way while retrieving the boat with the guide poles, especially if deployed on both sides. Flip them in the boat as said above. My wife and I launch and retrieve like you said above. I am glad you used the word "sprinted". I jog. I use my guide poles as a depth gauge while backing the trailer down the ramp. I like the strength of the VeVe's, and the pads act as vertical rollers as the boat makes contact. On the dock, holding both bow and stern lines, 25'ers, she guides the bow thru the poles and tosses me the bow line and I pull the boat onto the trailer, hook the bow eye and crank it to the fixed bow stop. As I drive out the boat settles on the trailer in the same spot every time. Ramp time a couple of mins. I think you will like the guide poles. We do.
One last thing...I do remove the pads from the poles and put in the truck while in the parking lot. Outa sight, outa mind.

Last edited: