• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Setting the Ball Mount Height (tow vehicle / boat mismatch)

JetBoat_Canuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Finally got the call! 2022 195s (in black) is at the dealer, I will be picking it up a week from today!

I need to purchase a ball mount / ball for my car and I have run into a small problem. It seems like I can't get the trailer to set level based on the recommendation in the tow vehicles manual. I attached a picture of the my car specs just incase I am reading them incorrectly.

Information on vehicle:
2021 Mercedes GLE450
Tow Capacity: 7715 lbs
Standard Suspension (no air suspension)
Has hitch installed from factory with 7 pin adapter
Top of receiver is about 14.5" from ground and according to diagram on the car it says max 2" rise.

Information on Boat:
2022 Yamaha 195s
Distance from ground to hitch is 19.5" (from other members on this forum. Haven't checked myself)
Weight needed to be towed: 4000 lbs (3179 lbs [boat+trailer] + fuel/gear/etc)

Here is the problem:
The max I can get the ball of the ground is 17.5" (14.5"+ 2" + 1" [Flange]) and boat is sitting at 19.5". There is a distance of 2" that needs to be potentially made up. What would you guys do in this case? All numbers ignore how much suspension sag would come from trailer.
1. Increase the rise on the mount?
2. Leave it on an angle?
3. Some combination of the rise/angle?
4. Leave it and just enjoy the boat?

Measured wrong from bottom of tube to ground. It is 14.5" vs 12". Numbers updated above

Attachments

Last edited:

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try and solve it as best you can versus just letting it droop that low. If I understand correctly you just need to do in reverse what those of us with a lifted truck do. Get a hitch like one of these and just install it "upside down" and flip the ball the way you need it. Make up the 5 inches that way.

FLASH™ Ball Mounts | Fastway Trailer (I see these available at Bomgars usually).

Bruins63

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You want to get the trailer as level as possible for the surge brakes to work properly. I agree with W3bexec's solution.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
You want to get the trailer as level as possible for the surge brakes to work properly. I agree with W3bexec's solution.
+1 on this. You need to get it as close as you can to 19.5” with squat. You can do it with an adjustable hitch like a B&W or a standard hard ball mount. Most advertise drop but flipping them over will give you a lift. Be advised, if you only have drop specs on the hitch, most will give you less rise when flipped over.

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't think that label on your car is saying you can only go 2" rise maximum. Looks to me like it's just an illustration and they chose to put 2" in there. Notice how from the same reference point, rise is only 2" and drop would be 2.75"? That's what WV Hillbilly is referring to in his comment and probably what that sticker is intending to convey as well. A drop hitch gives less rise when you flip it over. Get yourself a 6" or 8" drop hit and flip it over and I bet you'll be just fine.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just measure my drop hitch, here's the #s:

bottom of ball to top of ball - 3"
thickness of mounting flange for the ball - .75"

So, the top of your tube is @ 12" and you need to get to 19.5" (or so) - that is 7.5". If you use a 4" drop hitch and turn it over you will get 4"+.75"+3" = 7.75" - you will get some rear spring droop with the tongue weight of the trailer so it will sit just slightly on a down angle which is preferred to the trailer sloping upwards during tow.

That's where I would start...Amazon can have a 4" drop hitch with ball in your hands tomorrow for $25, you will just need a wrench (a big one!) to flip the ball over.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
According to the manuals for my 2016 and 2018 GLEs, the label shows the maximum dimensions permitted, they are not arbitrary values. The manual states... "the dimensions stated in the illustration must not be exceeded".

Double check the height to the top of your receiver, I am guessing it is greater than 12". Our 2016 GLE is an AMG which sits about 2-3" lower than our 2018 base model (without lifting the air suspension) and it is still 13" to the top of the receiver.

Don't forget to count the height of the ball if you are comparing to a measurement to the top (instead of bottom) of the trailer coupler.

I have a Curt 45155 hitch mount (one of the few that don't exceed the 7.5" horizontal distance to the ball) with 2" rise for both GLEs. If I remember right it put the top of the hitch ball at 18" for the base model and 17" for the AMG (air suspension lifted 1"), which was roughly level for our boat and jet ski trailer.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd try to get as level as possible. Hopefully it isn't an issue, but keep in mind - that much of a rise may be close to interfering with your rear hatch opening up when your trailer is on the ball.

JetBoat_Canuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
According to the manuals for my 2016 and 2018 GLEs, the label shows the maximum dimensions permitted, they are not arbitrary values. The manual states... "the dimensions stated in the illustration must not be exceeded".

Double check the height to the top of your receiver, I am guessing it is greater than 12". Our 2016 GLE is an AMG which sits about 2-3" lower than our 2018 base model (without lifting the air suspension) and it is still 13" to the top of the receiver.

Don't forget to count the height of the ball if you are comparing to a measurement to the top (instead of bottom) of the trailer coupler.

I have a Curt 45155 hitch mount (one of the few that don't exceed the 7.5" horizontal distance to the ball) with 2" rise for both GLEs. If I remember right it put the top of the hitch ball at 18" for the base model and 17" for the AMG (air suspension lifted 1"), which was roughly level for our boat and jet ski trailer.
Thanks everyone for responding. Unfortunately spatty99 is correct those are the max values as stated in the manual :(

Learned a lot from this thread. I made some errors in my original measurement. The top of the tube is 14.5" from the ground not 12"

So 14.5" + 2" Rise + 1" Flange = 17.5" to bottom of the ball. I am thinking that this is now close enough. If needed maybe I can raise it a bit more, this will just have to be an in the moment decision. Also this is ignoring any sag from the trailer itself.

Also I can't find a mount that is no more than 7.5" long from pin to ball....even the one that spatty99 recommend is 8 1/8". Anyone have a recommendation on that side?

Last edited:

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember that the bottom.of the ball (it's mounting point to the flange) is 3" to the top of the ball...you need to add that in if you take a 2" drop hitch and flip it over.