• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Setting up a 2014 212X for wake surfing? What mods?

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello,

I want to get into wake surfing.
I have done lots of reading but don't know what products to buy?
We currently have 2 ballast bags on board in the stock locations. One on each side.

I read about the gatlin wake wedge but it does not fit the 2014 212x due to the stock ladder placement.

Would the Yamaha Wakebooster fit the 212X? If so, where can I buy the package (can't seem to find it online)?
Also what size fat sac/dimensions will work well with our boat? Also, if I get a fat sac for the deck, how do you fill it with water?

Thanks!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Chevyguy2021, here's what you need to achieve a surfable wave behind your boat.
  1. Shaper
  2. More displacement
  3. Consistent speed
  4. A good board & rope
Shaper - I will add my vote to the list of Gantlin Wake Wedge votes. It is fantastic and absolutely the best addition for generating the best wave. Definitely take advantage of the fall sale.
20190922_162414.jpg

Displacement - As good as the Wake Wedge is it needs a little help maximize its effectiveness. Yamaha's are light weight boats and the stock ballast is not adequate. You will want to pair it with the custom transom ballast bag. You will not get a better wave than with this combination. Start by putting the transom bag on the surf side of your swim deck to weigh the back corner and make the boat list (lean). Also fill or mostly fill the ski locker to weigh the nose, help plane, and lengthen the wave. Set the wake Wedge at a slight angle, it doesn't take much. Set speed around 10-10.5mph. Start with that and see what you get. The under seat ballast is sometimes beneficial if your running light on fuel and human ballast to dial things in.

Consistent speed - You will greatly benefit from having a GPS speed control. These boats kind of hold that speed alright but consistency is key. Adding a system like the Hydrophase Ridesteady is a incredible upgrade for many reasons (speed control, full time engine sync, programmable riders).

Lastly, but every bit as important, you need some good equipment. The right size board and one that will suit your riding style and ability is instrumental. I am a watersports equipment dealer and can offer some great suggestions and amazing deals on ropes and boards. We carry both Slingshot and O'Brien boards. Slingshot has the Coaster which was designed in collaboration with Yamaha. It is amazingly versatile and fun. It's our most popular board but, there's many great options if you equip your boat with the previously suggested equipment.

You can view our inventory here:
However, message me privately for the best discounts. I can always offer better pricing thru private sales and discount codes. (It's black Friday every day for fellow jetboaters.)

Last edited:

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Chevyguy2021, here's what you need to achieve a surfable wave behind your boat.
  1. Shaper
  2. More displacement
  3. Consistent speed
  4. A good board & rope
Shaper - I will add my vote to the list of Gantlin Wake Wedge votes. It is fantastic and absolutely the best addition for generating the best wave. Definitely take advantage of the fall sale.
View attachment 107707

Displacement - As good as the Wake Wedge is it needs a little help maximize its effectiveness. Yamaha's are light weight boats and the stock ballast is not adequate. You will want to pair it with the custom transom ballast bag. You will not get a better wave than with this combination. Start by putting the transom bag on the surf side of your swim deck to weigh the back corner and make the boat list (lean). Also fill or mostly fill the ski locker to weigh the nose, help plane, and lengthen the wave. Set the wake Wedge at a slight angle, it doesn't take much. Set speed around 10-10.5mph. Start with that and see what you get. The under seat ballast is sometimes beneficial if your running light on fuel and human ballast to dial things in.

Consistent speed - You will greatly benefit from having a GPS speed control. These boats kind of hold that speed alright but consistency is key. Adding a system like the Hydrophase Ridesteady is a incredible upgrade for many reasons (speed control, full time engine sync, programmable riders).

Lastly, but every bit as important, you need some good equipment. The right size board and one that will suit your riding style and ability is instrumental. I am a watersports equipment dealer and can offer some great suggestions and amazing deals on ropes and boards. We carry both Slingshot and O'Brien boards. Slingshot has the Coaster which was designed in collaboration with Yamaha. It is amazingly versatile and fun. It's our most popular board but, there's many great options if you equip your boat with the previously suggested equipment.

You can view our inventory here:
However, message me privately for the best discounts. I can always offer better pricing thru private sales and discount codes. (It's black Friday every day for fellow jetboaters.)

Thanks so much everyone for the replies.
The site for the wedge says "
Wake wedge interferes with flip up style steering fins on 212X models".

We have the thrust vector XI or whatever they are called.
Is that an issue with ordering the wedge?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks so much everyone for the replies.
The site for the wedge says "
Wake wedge interferes with flip up style steering fins on 212X models".

We have the thrust vector XI or whatever they are called.
Is that an issue with ordering the wedge?
@jcyamaharider or @jcyamahariders wife (Gantlin Products owners) should be able to answer that one.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With the Thrust Vector XL's installed they will bind on your boat when they flip up. If you do not have them the Wake Wedge is great.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have a 2015 212x. For us the biggest improvement wasn’t from the wake wedge - had and sold - it was the transom bag hands down.

we have 400# fat sacs under the rear seats in factory location just slightly bigger, the custom transom bag and perfect pass set around 10.1 to 10.3 and adjust from there. We do have 750# bag in ski locker but rarely use it unless super light load.

pic below buddy surfing with me driving and our wives in boat no center ballast no wave shaped device just ballast.
5459861E-66F6-4AD9-A18F-B4BD71DFC099.jpeg

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cobra jet steering works with the wedge.