• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Severe Cavitation

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I wanted to share I've been chasing a cavitation issue all summer. Last year I sucked up some big rocks and then when going in reverse trying to blow them out, sucked up the tow rope. I replaced the impeller/ring and was back in the water. I noticed some cavitation but blamed it on the improper pitched impeller when I switched to a Solas. The issue must have been gradual to the point now where it's unusable.
Things I have tried / changed:

1. Impeller / wear ring (back to new stock)
2. Carbon ring and bellow
3. Engine alignment
3. Spark plugs
4. Neoprene seal from pump to hull
5. Checked for missing sealant around pump and shoe

I spoke with a local tech and he instantly said the pump shaft is bent, somehow bringing in air thru the seal or oscillating air bubbles. I ordered a new pump so hopefully the MI cold weather will hold off to test as I really don't want to put it away broken.

Video of cavitation

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
What was your issue and resolution?

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I had the engine set to far back and out of spec. I had compression on the bellows and was water tight but it would suck in air during hard acceleration. Paid to have the engine realigned and it fixed the problem.