• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sh%&tty Tires!

claiton26

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice shoes! I had the same problem with Carlisle tires. Won't buy them again.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just ordered new wheels and tires for my brand new trailer. I'm not risking my $60k boat with $29 Chinese tires. F that!!! My trailer was spec'd for 215/75/14 radials like many others is, but they put the crappy Carlisle belted tires on it. They don't make decent load range tires in 14" wheel size so I actually went to 15" wheels and tires. I ordered 225/75/15 Maxxis M8008 tires and aluminum wheels. They're going to be tight, but I'll make them work.

Here's why I went to 15 inch wheels... The Carlisle 14" tires are rated at 1,870lbs each. That's 7,480lbs total in PERFECT situations. Tandem axle trailers can't go by the simple 1,870 x 4 calculation though because all four wheels aren't always loaded perfectly evenly. If your tongue height isn't perfect, you're putting more weight on one axle or the other. So here's what happens... Your 212 or 242 that weighs around 5000 or 5200 DRY probably weighs more like 6k+ when you're ready to take it to the lake. You're never going to have perfect axle loading so what happens is you have a couple of those tires running under the max load capacity and a couple running OVER the max load rating. On Chinese tires. Yikes!

The Maxxis tires I ordered are load range D tires. You can only get load range C tires in 14" sizes. You can actually get load range E tires in the exact same 15" size, but I didn't need to go that far on this application. The 225/75/15 is rated at 2,540lbs each. That's a total of 10,160 with perfect axle loading. THAT'S the kind of safety margin I want for my $60k investment! haha. If you think about it, it's not that far overkill actually. One axle would be safe for roughly 5,000lbs. Are there times when the entire boat weight is on one axle? Yeah, of course, or at least a large percentage of the total weight.

I'll let you guys know how they work out, I should have them early next week. I know if I can make them fit that they will run at a lower speed (taller), run cooler and have a hugely lower chance of blowouts from overloading. You have to remember, the dealers put the wheels and tires on these trailers. They're going to buy the absolute cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. The wheels AND tires on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers can be bought for around $60 each, mounted and balanced! Really? I spend more than that on bicycle tires.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered new wheels and tires for my brand new trailer. I'm not risking my $60k boat with $29 Chinese tires. F that!!! My trailer was spec'd for 215/75/14 radials like many others is, but they put the crappy Carlisle belted tires on it. They don't make decent load range tires in 14" wheel size so I actually went to 15" wheels and tires. I ordered 225/75/15 Maxxis M8008 tires and aluminum wheels. They're going to be tight, but I'll make them work.

Here's why I went to 15 inch wheels... The Carlisle 14" tires are rated at 1,870lbs each. That's 7,480lbs total in PERFECT situations. Tandem axle trailers can't go by the simple 1,870 x 4 calculation though because all four wheels aren't always loaded perfectly evenly. If your tongue height isn't perfect, you're putting more weight on one axle or the other. So here's what happens... Your 212 or 242 that weighs around 5000 or 5200 DRY probably weighs more like 6k+ when you're ready to take it to the lake. You're never going to have perfect axle loading so what happens is you have a couple of those tires running under the max load capacity and a couple running OVER the max load rating. On Chinese tires. Yikes!

The Maxxis tires I ordered are load range D tires. You can only get load range C tires in 14" sizes. You can actually get load range E tires in the exact same 15" size, but I didn't need to go that far on this application. The 225/75/15 is rated at 2,540lbs each. That's a total of 10,160 with perfect axle loading. THAT'S the kind of safety margin I want for my $60k investment! haha. If you think about it, it's not that far overkill actually. One axle would be safe for roughly 5,000lbs. Are there times when the entire boat weight is on one axle? Yeah, of course, or at least a large percentage of the total weight.

I'll let you guys know how they work out, I should have them early next week. I know if I can make them fit that they will run at a lower speed (taller), run cooler and have a hugely lower chance of blowouts from overloading. You have to remember, the dealers put the wheels and tires on these trailers. They're going to buy the absolute cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. The wheels AND tires on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers can be bought for around $60 each, mounted and balanced! Really? I spend more than that on bicycle tires.
Keep us posted! Did you get the new fenders with your trailer, already? The new "strait" brackets are massive compared to the older once, make a huge difference. The new fenders may also be sitting a bit higher, maybe, which could be a plus with larger wheels!
upload_2017-10-20_13-48-26.png

--

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick tire question. How can you tell if you have bias ply or radial tires? My 17 AR240 came with a Shorelandr trailer and Carlisle tires.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look at the letter before the rim size. R=radial, D=bias, B=belted
Example: ST205/75R14 is a special trailer radial tire for 14" diameter rim.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I called and talked to Robyn today and she was familiar with our issue. All I had to do was send her a pic of the trailer tag and she handled the rest. Guess I'll find out in a few days if they will replace my bias tires with radials

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New radials enrute from Carlisle today. Robyn was a huge help and has set the standard for customer service

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
New radials enrute from Carlisle today. Robyn was a huge help and has set the standard for customer service
So, let me get this straight. If you contact the trailer manufacturer they may send you new tires? If so, do you have a number I can call? Thanks.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, let me get this straight. If you contact the trailer manufacturer they may send you new tires? If so, do you have a number I can call? Thanks.
Carlstar 1-800-260-7959

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Calstar will replace Carlisle tires. In my case, it was all 5. Just had to provide a purchase order, pics of tires and trailer tag on the inside frame rail

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got 5 new radials sitting in my garage, like overtime81 said. Robyn was a great help. Thanks to everyone who posted on here.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

You can only get load range C tires in 14" sizes.
The Goodyear endurance 215/75/14 are “D” rated

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just had a rock pierce thread on my 2 month old Carlisle bias ply tires.. Getting the Goodyear Endurance as the speed rating is "N" and load range D. should be much safer than chinese tires.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here’s the new shoes and rims

Attachments

Jerod Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sorry this is a late reply. I too have the problem with the fender brackets stress cracking and hardware becoming loose. I had Maxxis radials put on my trailer the day I bought the boat new as part of the negotiating with the Yamaha dealer. Tires/wheels were also balanced. I probably have less than 1000 miles on the trailer. Not so sure it’s a tire issue but it’s worth the time involving Carlisle if they’ll send you new radials

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are the Carlyle tires still a problem on the '18 and '19 24' boats? Haven't seen any updates on this from people with newer boats? Thanks!