1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Want to buy your boat a Christmas gift? How about some Cobra Jet Steering? From now until Dec 31 Jeff is offering forum members all Cobra Jet Steering 20% off!!!!!

Please send a PM(converstation message to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC) or email jeff@cobrajetsteering.com to place orders or for questions about a particular product, please list the make, model and year of your boat " year is last 2 digits of hull number", also the state you reside in or the state you want it shipped to . Offer Not valid in combination with other offers or discounts, subject to availability of inventory. AND Free shipping in the U S A.

You can dismiss this notice (if you are a member) by clicking the "X" in the upper right>>>>>>>>>

Dismiss Notice

Sh%&tty Tires!

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs, Trailers and other things with Wheels' started by Eric Ballard, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Eric Ballard

Eric Ballard Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +662 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    The trailer has new shoes!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. claiton26

claiton26 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    FSH Sport
    Boat Length:
    Nice shoes! I had the same problem with Carlisle tires. Won't buy them again.

3. gmtech16450yz

gmtech16450yz Active Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    I just ordered new wheels and tires for my brand new trailer. I'm not risking my $60k boat with $29 Chinese tires. F that!!! My trailer was spec'd for 215/75/14 radials like many others is, but they put the crappy Carlisle belted tires on it. They don't make decent load range tires in 14" wheel size so I actually went to 15" wheels and tires. I ordered 225/75/15 Maxxis M8008 tires and aluminum wheels. They're going to be tight, but I'll make them work.

Here's why I went to 15 inch wheels... The Carlisle 14" tires are rated at 1,870lbs each. That's 7,480lbs total in PERFECT situations. Tandem axle trailers can't go by the simple 1,870 x 4 calculation though because all four wheels aren't always loaded perfectly evenly. If your tongue height isn't perfect, you're putting more weight on one axle or the other. So here's what happens... Your 212 or 242 that weighs around 5000 or 5200 DRY probably weighs more like 6k+ when you're ready to take it to the lake. You're never going to have perfect axle loading so what happens is you have a couple of those tires running under the max load capacity and a couple running OVER the max load rating. On Chinese tires. Yikes!

The Maxxis tires I ordered are load range D tires. You can only get load range C tires in 14" sizes. You can actually get load range E tires in the exact same 15" size, but I didn't need to go that far on this application. The 225/75/15 is rated at 2,540lbs each. That's a total of 10,160 with perfect axle loading. THAT'S the kind of safety margin I want for my $60k investment! haha. If you think about it, it's not that far overkill actually. One axle would be safe for roughly 5,000lbs. Are there times when the entire boat weight is on one axle? Yeah, of course, or at least a large percentage of the total weight.

I'll let you guys know how they work out, I should have them early next week. I know if I can make them fit that they will run at a lower speed (taller), run cooler and have a hugely lower chance of blowouts from overloading. You have to remember, the dealers put the wheels and tires on these trailers. They're going to buy the absolute cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. The wheels AND tires on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers can be bought for around $60 each, mounted and balanced! Really? I spend more than that on bicycle tires.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. swatski

swatski Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +5,102 / 90
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Keep us posted! Did you get the new fenders with your trailer, already? The new "strait" brackets are massive compared to the older once, make a huge difference. The new fenders may also be sitting a bit higher, maybe, which could be a plus with larger wheels!
    upload_2017-10-20_13-48-26.png

--

• Like Like x 1
  5. Overtime81

Overtime81 New Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Quick tire question. How can you tell if you have bias ply or radial tires? My 17 AR240 came with a Shorelandr trailer and Carlisle tires.

6. Seadeals

Seadeals Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +529 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Look at the letter before the rim size. R=radial, D=bias, B=belted
    Example: ST205/75R14 is a special trailer radial tire for 14" diameter rim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Overtime81

Overtime81 New Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Thanks

8. Overtime81

Overtime81 New Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I called and talked to Robyn today and she was familiar with our issue. All I had to do was send her a pic of the trailer tag and she handled the rest. Guess I'll find out in a few days if they will replace my bias tires with radials

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Overtime81

Overtime81 New Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    New radials enrute from Carlisle today. Robyn was a huge help and has set the standard for customer service

• Like Like x 2