• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Share your experience with your boat cover(s)

I hate the damn Yamaha cover. I do not feel like it's that great of a fit.
I've never been able to get all of the velcros to strap up. The anti ponding poles are a pain, and every time the metal has pushed through and left marks on my flooring. Currently (although not for long) I have SeaDeck, not cool when the poles are cutting up your $500 mats...

I did finally break down and buy another Yamaha one, only because at $500 it's still $300 cheaper than every custom quote I got...

Now when I get a Malibu, I'll probably spring for the $1,200 custom sunbrella cover... But for now, I'll just deal with the crappy Yamaha one... I wish I wouldn't have tossed my shipping cover. It just got nasty, and I thought it wasn't worth keeping...

I hate the damn Yamaha cover. I do not feel like it's that great of a fit.
I've never been able to get all of the velcros to strap up. The anti ponding poles are a pain, and every time the metal has pushed through and left marks on my flooring. ...
Hmmm. I have the same boat and it fits great. Ponderous man...really ponderous. [semi-live photo]
boatphoto.jpg

I wish I wouldn't have tossed my shipping cover. It just got nasty, and I thought it wasn't worth keeping...
Iwish I bought another shipping cover when they were still available. New "mooring" covers I can get, but the "shipping" cover has been discontinued (for our model) :mad:

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have the same boat and it fits great. Ponderous man...really ponderous.
Yeah, I've been wanting to sync up with you on that for a long time. I'm on my second (actually 3rd one is shipping to me soon), and they both didn't fit that well... At least not around the tower point, and it was especially difficult to pull the cover into place where the middle cleats are...

I have this cover and the shipping cover and I never use either one as I store the boat inside2013-06-23_18-57-07_937.jpg

As for repairing the shipping cover....its more of a temporary fix to buy me time. I found some white vinyl tape on amazon that sticks pretty well to the cover (when properly cleaned) and keeps leaks at bay.

I've used the grey Yamaha cover since I purchased it new in Feb 2012. Two full years on it and it still looks new (although dirty). It sits outside 24/7 and while winterized I keep the shipping cover over it as well.

It did loose it's water repellency after the first season. I purchased a cover water repellant from west marine last season but I haven't used it yet. It seems like a huge task to find a clean place to lay the cover out and then apply the sealant and allow it to dry.

The sunbrella cover was $1200. It's a value proposition. This cover will last well past the amount of time I plan to keep the boat. So how many times would I have to buy the $800 deluxe yamaha cover for the price of one $1200 sunbrella cover. There is no doubt it will last longer. The custom cover also comes with much better reinforcement at rub and high abrasion points.

I use the shipping cover for winter storage (indoors) and summer parking in the driveway. I only use the Yamaha mooring cover when towing or cover during outings. I also have it treated with 303 Aerospace canvas water repellent. This is my second Yamaha cover. I didnt use the shipping cover during the summer with the first one so it only lasted 4.5 years. I do alot of towing at 75 mph, so it gets abused. Hoping my current routine will help it last a little longer than the first one.

The sunbrella cover was $1200. It's a value proposition. This cover will last well past the amount of time I plan to keep the boat. So how many times would I have to buy the $800 deluxe yamaha cover for the price of one $1200 sunbrella cover. There is no doubt it will last longer. The custom cover also comes with much better reinforcement at rub and high abrasion points.
I hear ya and I've been a fan of Sunbrella (had it on previous boat). But I get the Yamaha cover for $500 not $800 so I can by two for less than one Sunbrella cover. It makes the value proposition a bit harder to justify. I don't think I'll have the boat 8-10 MORE years, so kinda hard to justify $1200 for a new 8-10 year cover at this point.
(But I think I told myself the same thing the last time I bought a cover and I still have the boat :facepalm: )

Last edited:
it was especially difficult to pull the cover into place where the middle cleats are...
In all fairness, I must admit that the middle cleat holes do seem to be a bit off, but I never worried much about it. I don't bother with those cleats when I cover it during the summer. I only do that when I'm towing with cover, or packed up for the winter.

The original owner of my AR240 had Sunbrella custom snap-on covers made and they look beautiful and work perfectly. I know member "Motorboater" has the same boat and cover setup and also seems to like it. I think all of us are taken aback by the price of covers, but when the time comes I will definitely replace with exactly what is on the boat now. Fortunately, they still look brand new.

I agree. Although the separate covers arent completely weather proof... the bow cover allows water to enter in front of the windshield when it rains. The Sunbrella fabric should be good for the life of the boat.

I still use the original white shipping cover on top of the Sunbrella covers for storage outdoors during the season. I pull that off and trailer with the sunbrella covers. Ideally I'd have the Yamaha mooring cover to replace the shipping cover but it still works. If I needed to replace it at this point I'd look for another shipping cover because it should be much cheaper.

If you ho to buy a Yamaha mooring cover check pricing at Yamaha Sport Plaza on the west coast. 30% off on all of their parts. That is where I have bought both my mooring covers. Check it.

Mine shredded after 2yrs while going over the 7 mile bridge. Now I'm using the shipping cover. (I should have used that fir storage and the other for towing)

Do you guys use the shipping cover for towing?

Three covers here - the Yamaha cover that we use for trailering and when the boat is on the trailer during the summer. Sunbrella bow and cockpit covers that I had made - for when the boat is wet slipped, and for the winter the storage cover that I bought from e-bay. Yamaha cover is so-so. I would give anything for a sunbrella version. Sunbrella cover is great for when the boat is in the water - a bit of a PIA to put on - but they all are. Winter storage cover - on its second year - may get another year or perhaps two out of it - then its back to e-bay.

Here are some pics of my 3 year old Yami cover....
20140402_212042280_iOS.jpg
This one is actually @Christy 's fault... There was snow on there and she insisted on trying to knock it off after I told her not too, because of how fragile they can be....

20140402_212052381_iOS.jpg
Here is trying to get the velcro cinched up.... Never fits right....

20140402_212100418_iOS.jpg
Kinda hard to tell, but yanking it over that cleat is a whipping....

20140402_212114831_iOS.jpg
Again with the velcro...

20140402_212132902_iOS.jpg
Tears...

20140402_212136397_iOS.jpg
More Tears...

20140402_212144246_iOS.jpg

And even MORE tears!!!

Cover was bought in March of 2011... At least it was $40 cheaper that year... $460 paid...

We have the shipping cover and the yamaha black deluxe cover. I use the shipping cover for storage in my barn, and the deluxe cover for trailering long trips.

I purchased the premium black cover and was very impressed by the quality and fit (I don't have a tower so I can't comment on Velcro), but only time will tell regarding its longevity.
One note though JW, I was also concerned with the cover being black in the hot Florida sun. When I took the cover mid morning after a few hours of sun, I could not stand on the vinyl and the inside temp was very extreme. I was very concerned, as I will be leaving it stored in the summer on the lift.
I contacted the dealer and asked whether he had any dealings or experiences regarding boats getting too hot, I mean, I'm leaving the boat with a full tank of gas! No was the answer, but I was still very concerned, until one hot afternoon I did my own research. After pulling back the cover the heat hit me, then the vinyl nearly burnt the soles of my feet.
I immediately opened the engine hatch and to my surprise it was stone cold in there, the exhaust manifold and engine block where also very cold, I progressed to lift the tank hatch and again, very cold. I'm not sure how long the vinyl will last though:(.

The only extra procedure I do now when storing is move the fire extinguishers into the engine bay because it's so cold in there.

Hope this helps a little :)

My boat is outside 24/7. I use the "cheap" $250 shipping cover for offseason storage, it repels water a lot better than the grey mooring cover which I use in season. I found that both covers retain a lot heat but not to the point that the interior it too hot to touch. I have towed with both just fine but the shipping cover is more apt to stretch when used while towing.

On my previous yamaha the mooring cover lasted about 3 seasons before it started to shred, I patched it with tear aid at first, as the shredding got worse or the tears longer I used iron on patches inside and out. This bought me about a year of extra time. Once the seams started to give the cover came apart on the freeway. I only noticed because one of the covered metal buckles that that secures the belly strap started flapping and hitting the side of the boat, not only could I see this in the mirror I could hear it.

After I sprayed some water repellant on my old cover (I did this on the driveway and dragged it into the garage to let it dry) it was water tight but it also allowed mold to build up on the top of the aft cockpit seats where the cover sits when its on. After two seasons with the shipping cover on my current boat I haven't had that issue, yet anyway.

I haven't bought one but the best cover I've seen is made by jet boat pilot in Florida. Made with sunbrella material it sits on the inside of the tower poles when in use and is secured by integrated bungee cords located where they need to be (e.g. By the cleats, transom loops, etc.). It doesn't cover the side of the boat like the Yamaha covers I have and have had do but it is a lot easier to put on and take off since there is no need to deal with the towers four mounting points and no ratcheting buckles either. Around $1,200 as I recall.

Last edited:
I got the Yamaha trailer/mooring cover when I bought the boat in 2011. So far it has held up well (other than having a lot of mildew on the inside). I don't normally use it when trailering (except on long trips). I use the shipping cover for the winter cover. Unfortunately the boat stays outside and so far so good with both covers.

Back