• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

shoreland'r dual axle trailer brake failure

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have a 2021 shoreland'r dual axle trailer used in brackish/saltwater and the LH brake seized up within 24 months.
The caliper piston rusted, swelled and caused the pads to compress the rotor.
Since the rotor contact surface was covered in rust, I suspect the brakes were inop for some time....not good.

The caliper assembly x2 were severely rusted and require replacement.
The manufacturer Dexter was contacted and they stated these calibers were rated for freshwater only.
Dexter could not provide a cross reference for a stainless steel replacement caliper, they seems to be very confused and lacked information.

The caliper is a zinc coated steel Dexter PN: 89-135 on a 9.75" rotor.

No trailer supplier could confirm an alternate SS caliper.
Does anybody know of a direct SS replacement for this caliper?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Kodiak makes a stainless set that will fit, I ended up buying the Dexter UFP, it think. I will have to find the paperwork later. You might want to check your surge master cylinder, mine was shot as well.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I installed on my 2018 trailer for my 242xe . Brakes are an ongoing issue in salt water I bolted them on in the drive way

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here's what installed on my trailer, kit comes with the rotors, bearing buddies, bearings etc... all Stainless components. they are the same left or right, you set it up for the position your installing it in. I paid $322 per kit with about 100$ shipping. Out the door it was around $ 750 for all the parts. I bought the surge brake master I believe on Ebay, they don't make a stainless version that I could find. So I soaked the heck out of it with LPS3 when in reinstalled it in the tongue.

UFP K7108805, K71-088-05
UFP by Dexter K71-088-05 Boxed Disc Brake Kit: Integral - UFP by Dexter K71-088-05 - Trailer Disc Brakes - Trailer Brake Systems - Trailering - Boatersland Marine

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow, great information guys.
I don't know why this is so difficult to find replacement brake information.

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Well we are on this subject area....Any idea how long the wheel bearing last in these conditions?
They are equipped with buddy bearings and lubricated often.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There's no better time if your replacing brakes to pull them, clean them up, inspect them, regrease and put everything back together. It really is very easy to do and well worth your time. I pulled everything apart about 2 years of saltwater use on the trailer. Bearings looked good but replaced them with the kit bearings and kept the old ones as spares.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well we are on this subject area....Any idea how long the wheel bearing last in these conditions?
They are equipped with buddy bearings and lubricated often.

The 2005 with MFI had the actual bearing buddies brand not the knock offs on the surelander. They did amazing I never repacked them just kept them filled took yearly trips 500 mile round trip they out lasted every other item on the trailer. The galvanized axles started to rust through we pulled the bearing buddies and the grease looked ok about 15 years later bearings were perfect no signs of water intrusion.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Consider contacting etrailer.com or pacific trailer if you have any questions about comparable replacement parts.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I posted about this in another forum but thought I’d share here. I recently had the brakes and hubs overhauled at a local trailer mechanic. Went with brakes on both axles, but with independent hubs (stock are integrated hubs). Everything is stainless steel or saltwater friendly whereas the stock hubs were painted zinc and the brakes were junk as well which is why it all corroded and just one year of salt water use despite regular washing with salt away.

Now it rolls like a dream, smoother and less jerky breaking and no excessive heat.

IMG_3660.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3662.jpegIMG_3659.jpeg