• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Should I accept the fact I'm going to scratch my new boat? ((Discouraged))

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Newbie boater with a 2015 AR240. Took it out for ONE ride and already damaged the gelcoat and put a few scratches on the sides coming into the dock at different angles. I have plenty of very nice Taylor Made bumpers which are even wrapped in cloth for added protection but haven't mastered coming in perfect yet. I understand low speed maneuvering will come with practice but looking at these scratches on my new boat is killing me! I'm going to order the XL thrust vectors (Do they really make that big a difference with the new 2015 keel & where is best place to order them?) and perhaps more body contour bumpers to add to my existing 3 standard ones I put out each time... what else can I do?

A friend of mine told me to practice coming up to a mooring buoy out in the water and pretend its a dock so I can practice approaches. I was also told to perhaps try coming in a few feet parallel to the dock and then use the opposing motor in the forward positing while closest motor is in neutral to "walk" the boat sidewalks slowly toward to dock. I really wish I could pay someone on the NH/MA line that could give me a few lessons. I'm really bummed out and extremely discouraged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. (feeling defeated with tail between my legs)

Eric

Last edited:
Unfortunately owning a boat over time you are going to scratch it up, being yours in brand new makes it tough to take. Most scratches, unless very deep, can be either buffed out with polishing/rubbing compound or sanded out with 400 or 600 wet/dry automotive sand paper. Just remember that after buffing/sanding to apply wax to the repaired area.

According to Will at @JetBoatPilot his fins on the 2015 with the keel make a very noticeable improvement to the slow speed control.

Your friends advice to practice docking next to mooring buoy is a good idea, anything soft will work.

Most of us have had our struggles learning to dock these boats but once you master the technique you will love it.

Here is a really good video to give you tips on docking your jet boat.

It took me awhile to get used to docking these boats. I think you need to go out and find a calm bay and practice low speed maneuvering and obtain a comfort level. It is very humbling at first.

You can worry about it or accept that it will most likely happen again even with mastery of steering either with or without fins. It will ruin your spirit and trips on the water worrying....not to say that it's OK to be reckless and not to take precautions.

I understand man...all I can say is GO SLOW! You can get yourself out of trouble faster if you are going slower. I think the approach in the video above is great...but I like to go even slower when headed in to the dock. After you get some experience, you can speed up and learn to take advantage of that momentum to slide right in your spot.
Also, think carefully about any wind or current as you approach the dock. I now have a mental checklist I go through as I approach...getting the bumpers and lines out, thinking about wind and current, looking at my spot, etc.
That said, make sure you are at least have enough momentum to fight any wind or currents...

What is the best place to buy the XL thrust vectors?

it's a boat and as other have said before, you'll likely bump into something again...it's part of ownership. I've been pulling into the same slip for three years and one day last summer I misjudged it and got a good scuff on the starboard side...it happens. luckily it buffed out at the end of the season just fine.

Also remember the old adage: never approach anything faster than you're willing to hit it.

Only boats I have seen without scratches are boats still at the dealer. The problem with boats is it does not have brakes. If someone invents one, I will be all over that mod.

I've been told that the fins aren't going to make a huge difference on the 15's. I've had mine out a few times and I haven't noticed a big difference between my I/O and this boat. Only issue I've had was trying to power load on to the trailer which I never did with my old boat. If you want to make the trip over to me I'll gladly help out and show you on my boat. I'm on a river with a current so if you can master it on the river then lakes are no issue at all. Best bumpers are the big round ones. The contoured ones look nice but don't give you a lot of protection.

@RegezM3, don't be discouraged, these things are going to happen and scratches can be fixed. I too am new to jetboats but before that I did have a smaller 18 footer I/O, so my major dings/dents/scratches happened on that boat, however, even on my first outing in the new AR240 I did come in a bit hotter than I anticipated and kissed the dock. She didn't scratch me for being fresh with her, but I got a good slap and warning.

One thing that I practiced the last time I was out was simply approaching..not even docking...just practice getting somewhat close and doing it slowly...after I got that down then I added the next step which was the turn and the last few feet.

If you have someone that can go with you with an extending pole (not to be confused with arms) to help prevent a bump or too hot of an approach that is always good, if not, just take it slow.

I don't have much more advice than that as I am also learning these new jetboats, but rest assured, it will get better and you will become more comfortable and experienced.

I'm going to practice docking while having a few friends with me on the dock ready push the boat away if it gets too close. And larger bumpers are on order as of tonight... Thank you @subysti. I actually might take you up on that offer and thank you for all of your past advise as well.

The jet boats kinda do have brakes. No transmission just a reverse gate. In an emergency use reverse to stop the boat. Try it out one day. Just warn the passengers to hold one.

1) Thrust Vector XV's DO (!!!) make a difference in 2015 24-foot Yamahas. PERIOD !

2) Buy them from either Will @JetBoatPilot ... or if you are not mechanically inclined, your Yamaha dealer MAY be a dealer for JetBoatPilot products.
Installation is quite easy. It uses all EXISTING Yamaha hardware, and requires no drilling nor modifications to your boat.
https://jetboatpilot.com/index.php?id_product=7&controller=product

(850) 960-3236

3) Mars in your hull GENERALLY can be buffed out. If not completely removed, at least minimized. Again, if you are not into this type of detailing, many Yamaha dealers have qualified staff who can do this for you.

Good luck to you. I believe all of us have encountered at 1 time or another, each of your situations. It does get better as your use your boat more and more.
And remember, this is a 24-foot boat, and a lot to handle.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

My son 11 was worried about scratching the boat. We were almost at a dead stop. A gust of wind come up as we approached the dock and well he got his arm got between the boat and dock. The arm didn't win, broke at the growth plates. Ill take a scratch ant day but I blame my self. I always harmed about not letting the boat touch the dock, not any more. Ill take the scratches.

My son 11 was worried about scratching the boat. We were almost at a dead stop. A gust of wind come up as we approached the dock and well he got his arm got between the boat and dock. The arm didn't win, broke at the growth plates. Ill take a scratch ant day but I blame my self. I always harmed about not letting the boat touch the dock, not any more. Ill take the scratches.
Darn that is a tough lesson. Hope your son recovers quickly.

Holy Crap. That's sucks.

Coming from an I/O - I too was very nervous about making the jump to jet boats - especially after reading all difficulties some folks were having.
Best thing I did, was go out with just me and my brother during the middle of the week (empty lake) and practice. I threw a bunch a bouys out and practiced how to gently get back to them. And Practiced docking while my brother was ready to catch me. Best thing.
1) it was a Tuesday so the lake was dead
2) didn't have the wife and kids along to add to the stress
3) my brother is an experienced boater - having him with me was a relief.

Our boats are big, and provide a great deal of wind exposed sides to be pushed around, and they are lighter than most boats of this size, without a deep outdrive to help stabilize them. Articulating keels help with maneuvering as will fins, but when you are almost dead in the water as you approach slowly, you get little help from either. You must maintain power and movement to have any hope of having them add any influence. Forget trying to "walk" the boat, most boats won't do it without dead calm. Anyone can walk it with the wind, but doing it into the wind is like trying to push a rope. Practice. And practice without an audience. Accept the first few scratches and move on. But you don't have to scratch up the boat, just practice before approaching anything that will scratch it. Then, position the fenders where they will do the most good. You need a bow fender on your 45 degree approach, in case you mess up, and it should be aft bow area tied to the aft end of the grab rail on dock side. And you need two side fenders, one mid ship and one aft cockpit area. Once you have 20 hours of practice, you can revisit the "walking" practice, but you really need to know what the boat is going to be doing 10 seconds later, and how you can influence that, before you can do any sideways maneuver. Like I said, add a slight breeze and all bets are off with that. The easiest way to dock most boats is to approach the dock at a 45 degree angle with throttles in forward idle. But that may be too fast, so you need to work the throttles from forward idle to neutral idle, just moving to forward to keep movement and control. When the boat is just about to the dock, you turn the wheel toward the dock and drop the throttles into reverse idle and increase power just enough to stop forward movement and bring the stern alongside the dock. Having some deck hands is good, if they aren't in your way and are actually helping. Keep all hands from between the boat and the dock. The boat is a big mass and it takes a good deal to stop its movement, so don't get anyone hurt. This maneuver is best practiced in calm water, no wind, and away from the dock. If your marina area is big enough, set up 20 feet away from the dock and make approaches to it simulating that you are docking, but you are really 20' out from it. Get the hang of the turn and reverse move to bring her parallel. You can do anything with these boats once you can anticipate what it will do and how it will react to different inputs. It just takes a little practice. So don't give up and don't get discouraged. You can fix all of the dings after you learn to handle it a little. Now...get back on the horse and have some fun! Docking and learning to handle it IS FUN! But you need to lose the intimidation, and you will! Be the boat!

@Steelerville , so sorry about your son.

Back