• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Should I accept the fact I'm going to scratch my new boat? ((Discouraged))

As others have said, practice, practice, practice!

I know I'm going to get scratches, though I bring carpet to put on the beach when I anchor bow in, I use fenders, I am cautious, we have multiple boat hooks, ... it's just going to happen.

My advice is similar to others, but let me suggest one thing before jumping straight to using sand paper. Don't over estimate the dock rash. Try something super mild first (like deoxidization compound on a microfiber cloth) and see if it takes the edge off the dock rash. If not, start with soapy wet sanding using 2000 grid paper and if that doesn't work, drop to 1200 grit, then 800, then 600, ... but ALWAYS wet with soap (and lots of water) and take your time. The absolute worst thing you can do is start with 400 grit (or less) paper and not use enough water... you'll be spending for ever getting the glow back from your gelcoat if you do that.

Did the docks you hit have any kind of rubber edging? If so, they can leave what looks like a big scratch on the boat but it is actually just rubber residue that you can get off with your fingernail. If it's a bit more than that, cleaner wax can make much of it disappear. Just something to consider before jumping into wetsanding, etc..

As others have said, some amount of scuffs and scratches are inevitable and I've come to accept those as evidence of summer days well spent! On the water, everything is always in motion and unless you never tie up to a dock or raft up with another boat you will inevitably get some good-time marks on your boat.

We also did have someone that did a huge amount of damage just jumping into sanding on his gelcoat trying to polish them out. It isn't rocket science, but you can do damage yourself. I would get expert advice on doing this work before starting, @Glassman . And do an inconspicuous spot start to finish to learn before doing all the scratches. I have done some fiberglass repair that worked out well, and some that hasn't. It is a skill. And the sides of the boat are very visible. I would almost admit my error and suck up paying the pros to fix it...after I finished my practice and had a plan to prevent future rash or at least keep it to a minimum. Be aware that a "Sharpie" can be your best friend too! You can fill a white scratch with it and it is hardly noticeable until you can get the time to do a permanent repair. Learning this skill can save you bucks...but if you don't know the skill and try to apply it without learning it, it will cost more to repair than it would have if you had just taken it in.

I think I will second what everyone else said here. Most especially, I was surprised how many 'scratches' washed off, including where the valet guy rammed my boat into the storage bay door (just hit the rub rail). So don't panic on that one.

The other thing I will emphasize is the 'go slow' advice. That is a tough one. But go slower, both on the speed AND on the steering. These boats are easy to oversteer. You must work the throttle to touch a minor course correction while turning, then go back to neutral. Otherwise, you over correct and swing the other way. When you get better, you will learn that the steering at low speeds is cumulative--turning back the other way first slows progress in the wrong direction and then builds speed in the right direction. If you are only 'unsteering' when you have gotten to where you want to be, the momentum of the boat will continue turning it past where you wanted to go.

That is probably clear as mud. It is hard to describe. But go practice again, read that again, and you will maybe see what I mean.

Good luck and have fun.

Did the docks you hit have any kind of rubber edging? If so, they can leave what looks like a big scratch on the boat but it is actually just rubber residue that you can get off with your fingernail. If it's a bit more than that, cleaner wax can make much of it disappear. Just something to consider before jumping into wetsanding, etc..
As others have said, some amount of scuffs and scratches are inevitable and I've come to accept those as evidence of summer days well spent! On the water, everything is always in motion and unless you never tie up to a dock or raft up with another boat you will inevitably get some good-time marks on your boat.
Excellent observations by @OrangeTJ.
One thing you can attempt yourself, regardless of how skilled you are in this area is
POLISHING COMPOUND.
And it's relatively inexpensive.
This is different from rubbing compound, which is more abrasive. Use a small amount of polishing compound, applied with a soft cotton rag (old underwear works well here if you do not own hand polish pads).
ANY auto parts store can help you get the correct Polishing compound. You might be amazed at the results.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Do a SMALL AREA first, as a test. See how it is doing for you.

My boat has had it share of dock and Pwc rash. I try to avoid as much as I can but realize it's a boat if It's in use it will get scuffed up. As long as it's visual I don't stress about it. IF I did I'd probably be boating a lot less and not making the kind of memories I planned to make when i bought the boat. Another reason to go used, my boat came with imperfections and at a big discount.

With anything NEW I like to keep it that way... quite impossible with a boat. I had the boat in the water for maybe 2 days and got my first surface scratches while hooking to my mooring... a storm was coming up... winds and waves etc... I had my canoe at the mooring for my dry transport to shore... unfortunately I left the sandy edged canoe rub up against the hull while I was was rushing to get on the mooring... a hard lesson to learn... not just one scratch but many tiny long and short... I'm going to try the sharpee repair. Anyone know how thick our gelcoat should be?... I have recently repaired a "beauty mark" on the stern and the damage was right thru to the fibreglass... surprisingly the gel was NOT very thick.

The entire hull isn't thick at all, just about a 1/4" in most places, so the gelcoat layer is not thick.

YES, accept the fact that not only will you scratch your boat, other people will too.

You'll also suck up a rope or two, some trash and an occasional "what the heck is that".

Not to mention, if you don't install a Keel Shield or guard you WILL wear down the gel coat on the keel if you beach the boat. I guarantee it, take it to the bank.

From time to time you may run with your fenders hanging over the side of the boat, might possibly lose one or two along the way.

You or someone onboard will eventually spill something on the seats that might not come off. You'll be pissed.

Once or twice a season you're apt to have wet and stinky carpet (if you have carpet).

You, or someone who looks like you, might burn themselves on something hot on the boat - usually stainless steel - in the summer sun.

You may get a sunburn if you don't apply sunscreen regularly.

You'll burn plenty of gas if you like anything resembling going fast or any type of water sport that involves towing.

You own a boat, so the list above is not limited to what you see, you are encouraged to add your own items to the menu.

YOU OWN A BOAT DAMMIT!
SHIT HAPPENS! :cool:

Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I can't thank you enough!

@RegezM3 , do you own the lambo you are standing on in your avatar pic?

Noooo (I wish) my buddy owns a rental company in Miami.

Newbie boater with a 2015 AR240. Took it out for ONE ride and already damaged the gelcoat and put a few scratches on the sides coming into the dock at different angles. I have plenty of very nice Taylor Made bumpers which are even wrapped in cloth for added protection but haven't mastered coming in perfect yet. I understand low speed maneuvering will come with practice but looking at these scratches on my new boat is killing me! I'm going to order the XL thrust vectors (Do they really make that big a difference with the new 2015 keel & where is best place to order them?) and perhaps more body contour bumpers to add to my existing 3 standard ones I put out each time... what else can I do?

A friend of mine told me to practice coming up to a mooring buoy out in the water and pretend its a dock so I can practice approaches. I was also told to perhaps try coming in a few feet parallel to the dock and then use the opposing motor in the forward positing while closest motor is in neutral to "walk" the boat sidewalks slowly toward to dock. I really wish I could pay someone on the NH/MA line that could give me a few lessons. I'm really bummed out and extremely discouraged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. (feeling defeated with tail between my legs)

Eric
I scratched my boat up on the first day docking it. I got past it. I say I got past it because there isn't any structural damage, I'm still pissed at myself. I did buy a whole bunch of bumpers and put them on my dock so I can basically dock at ramming speed. Your boat is going to get scratched over time. There are gel coat fixes that aren't that hard to do yourself. You will get better at docking over time. There is a good video here showing how to dock the boat, and I am nowhere near that good yet.

You'll definitely have to accept the fact that you'll scratch you boat, but you don't have to leave it that way.

My last boat got a few on it, but they were fixed quick. It helps that my uncle owns a fiberglass shop though!

Scratches suck, but they happen. I think reality speaks for itself, if you use it, things happen and there will be marks left. I have been amazed at how easily small scratches come out of the gelcoat,, and I am also amazed at how easy the dark color shows scratches. Good luck,, and enjoy the boat. It only stays new for a day.....

Someone may have already said this but the easiest way to dock is judge the wind and current and let them blow you into the dock. When ever approaching a dock that I can approach from either side at a fair distance from I put my boat into neutral and see which way the boat is getting pushed then approach the dock from the side that will allow those factor to push me in. I tap of reverse will go along way towards slowing down or stoping on a jet powered vessel if moving at slow speeds and if your letting the other mentioned factors help push you into the dock you can approach at a much slower speed. All that being said I have owned a boat for about 10 years and riding PWC's for almost 20 and there is still every year a point in the season where I smack the dock a little harder than I like. Hell this past weekend we where in Edisto SC boating with friends and I went to load one of the PWC's on the trailer and the current was pulling so hard I had to stop and reapproach 3 different times one time almost missing the trailer all together. I blame the tropical depression that was off the coast well atleast that's what I'm telling my self to feel better about it. Welcome to boating there really is nothing better.

@RegezM3, I feel some of your pain, but my boat is much smaller (read that "less expensive") than yours.

The first time I was out, a gust of wind came and messed up my approach to the dock -- I cut the throttle, started to turn inadvertently, and sucked up a rope. The next time I was out, some old dude in a pontoon cut me off going under a bridge in a no wake zone ... I tucked in behind him at the last minute, then he cut throttle -- so I did, lost steering, and plowed into one of the bridge supports (not fun, but surprisingly, no marks).

So now I'm going out and practicing heavy maneuvers under power and without. I'm getting the hang of it and haven't had any incidents since. It sucks to put a mark on a new boat -- but it's kinda like scars on your body: you have a story to tell.

By the way, nice looking boat. Enjoy it -- even with a mark or two.

Also, please be forewarned that you can scratch the boat while it is out of the water. Just last night I was installing volt meters on my batteries and in the dark I kicked over my drill with a brand new, boat gouging drill bit - it promptly left a nice scratch right behind the grab handle just so that I will see it every time I climb back on board from getting a facial in some wipe out or another. That is like adding salt to the wipe out wound. I mumbled a number of words written using symbols for 20 minutes about that one!

Back