• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I install a bilge pump float in Yamaha 242x?

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a new 2017 Yamaha 242x a couple of weeks ago. I keep my boat in a slip on a lake for about 6 months a year. The slip is not covered but I got Yamaha's snap in bow and cockpit cover. I usually use the boat 2 to 4 time per week but there could be a period of a couple of weeks or so when it stays unused.

My question is whether the standard bilge pump is good enough for my use? If I turn off the starter battery switch but leave the house battery on when I leave the boat. My understanding is that leaving bilge in auto will cycle it every 2 minutes. As far as I know there's no float to only cycle it when the water needs to be drained.

Because the boat has solar panels, I assume this should be more than enough to keep everything functional and fully charged. I never had a problem with my old boat but it did have a float. I just had a problem with starter battery which is causing all kinds of electronics malfunctions. The dealer is going to look at it this week. They recommended that I install the float but I'm not sure if I'm batter off with a float or just keeping factory setup. They would hard wire the float to the house battery so I'll be able to turn both battery switches off.

Related question to this, does anyone know if turning battery switches off prevents batteries from being charged by the solar panels?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but I don't know the specifics of your 2017 and the solar panels.

But what I will offer is that a) two bilge pumps is never a bad idea, and b) if you are putting in a second, why not make it a float type (that is what I did). Then you can simply turn off the 2-minute cycle one if you have issues with it draining things.

(would be easier to guestimate your solar production with your location in your profile!)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put an alarm on the switch too!!!

Is anyone ever sorry they have more bilge pump power???

For some things in life more is better. Bilge pump power is one of those.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2013 AR240 and I added the second float bilge. Its direct wired to the battery and its 700gph. Its nice to have the backup.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree, especially when kept on the water I would go with a float bilge to save the battery and boat.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seaflow 750...$30 on amazon. Works great, only suggestion I'd add is use a 90* fitting, off the pump, to keep the hose from constantly applying pressure on the pump outlet. I didn't and the outlet broke after only 2 years.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Why wouldn't you leave the auto bilge on? This is one of its main purposes. It wont drain the battery unless it runs continuously. If that happens, you have bigger worries than a dead battery.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The "auto" bilge isn't really what you might think of as auto... The stock pump cycles every few minutes to check for resistance at the pump. If it notices water, it pumps. If not, it waits a few minutes and tries again. The stock pump will drain a battery over a few days, even if it doesn't have to pump any water. A fully automatic pump or pump connected with a float switch, will not drain your battery unless it is pumping water.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMO if you can always be sure you haven't left any other accessories on and the batteries aren't discharged when your done for the day and the solar panels are in full sun, you'll be fine with the stock setup. And yes, the panels will charge the batteries with the switches off - which means warm climate boaters can "store" their boats outside with the batteries in. If the boat was going to sit in the water longer and more frequently unused, I'd wire that float activated bilge pump directly to the battery and leave the switches off.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I leave my boat with auto bilge on for long periods and does not drain battery. I forget to shut the auto bilge off even out of water. No battery issues. At first was wondering what turned on every couple minutes when boat was sitting out of the water.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pump is nice and high end. I went with the cheaper tsunami.

I would encourage you to evaluate a thicker/nicer house. When I saw a hose like that in person I was not impressed. Feels like the hose from the washer drain. Very thin.

At that size you can get nylon reinforced house from your local hardware store for a reasonable price. You may like it, but check it carefully. Seems mismatched with such a nice pump.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I leave mine in the lake with both battery switches on for two weeks at a time and every timeIi've come back and both batteries are fully topped up. The built-in solar panel does this quite well. It's my understanding that all you need to do is turn the key off and remove it at the end of the day/weekend and as long as the battery switches are on, and the pump was set to "auto", the pump will do it's cycling thing.

My thought is I leave both battery switches on so that it keeps the trickle charge on the start battery...which as was noted above is better for it.

One thing you should do when you leave the boat for several days is make sure to close your ballast water pump seacock valve. The manual recommends closing that down because that pump is below water level and if there happens to be a break in a hose, or clamp, the water won't get past the closed valve.

I also recommend removing the man hole covers and laying them across the top of the tubes. This will keep them from swelling.

And -- just to protect myself from my own stupidity -- I bought one of those red and white airplane "remove before flight" flags and clip it to the steering wheel with a carabiner. That way when I come back to the boat, I know I have to put in the plugs, and open that sea cook valve again.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have done the Connext battery voltage fix Fix for Connext Battery Voltage Issue - Confirmed and have confirmed on my boat that the solar panels charge the batteries even when the switches are off. If you look at the led on the DVSR, if it is lit the batteries are being charged.
This is another thread for info about solar charger:
Solar panel and battery disconnect

Last edited: