• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Should I switch out the battery

Captain Ron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2010 AR210 and noticed the previous owner has a deep cycle battery in it. I know they are not the best for cranking the engines, so should I change it out for a standard marine battery designed for starting engines? Or will it be fine? I dont want to get stranded because it is the wrong battery and cant handle the cranking. What do you guys think.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a second battery install ;-).

Cranking batteries charge totally different from deep cycle. Cranking batteries can dump a ton of current (up to 400A, I think)... deep cycle, not so much.

If you only have one battery and you're using it for both house and starting, I would think you would actually run out of juice faster with a deep cycle than you would a cranking battery. Others will have more educated comments... my comments are just based on what I have heard talking with others.

Our boats have small engines and a low starter load. A jet ski battery is sufficient for starting. The deep cycle battery is fine and in my opinion an upgrade.

x1

Thanks guys, I was worried about starting 2 engines and the draw that would have. Maybe I will leave it that way and see how it goes. If I do install 2 batteries can they be different eg. 1 deep cycle and 1 regular. Will that cause problems if I have them switched on both at once?

Your battery type is fine. Since the battery is new to you and you don't know it's history, you should take it into the local auto parts store and have it tested.

Thanks guys, I was worried about starting 2 engines and the draw that would have. Maybe I will leave it that way and see how it goes. If I do install 2 batteries can they be different eg. 1 deep cycle and 1 regular. Will that cause problems if I have them switched on both at once?
This is what most people do. The regular battery for starting the engines and the deep cycle to run everything else.

New battery or old you should carry a jump pack. That way you ALWAYS have a spare for the boat during the season and for the vehicle during the off season. I have also used my jump pack several times to jump other boaters and a jet ski. My boat battery is the original from 2006. I'm not worried as I have my jump pack on board at all times. When my battery dies, I'll buy a new one but I'll never be stranded.

The factory boat wiring has two identical large red leads and a smaller one connected to the battery. The larger leads are for your starters. The smaller lead is your house load. If you add a starter battery connect the two larger leads to it.

I was surprised to discover that on my 2007 SX230 the key switches are powered by the house lead. So you can not start the engines if the house circuit does not have power.

You will most likely want to install an automatic charging relay to charge the house battery after the starter battery is charged. Otherwise the house battery will not be charged by the stators.

You may want to install a pair of switches to turn the batteries on and off.

This is how I installed a second battery in my boat https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-unusual-alternate-dual-battery-setup.5632/

But unless you are having issues with draining the battery you have now you may want to leave it as is. Unless your boat has amplifiers or a refrigerator it is unlikely that you would need more than one battery.

Ya I dont have a fridge, and I probably wont be running the stereo for long periods of time at a high volume. I was just worried about starter draw, and the affect it might have on a deep cycle battery. Sounds like it wont be a problem so I will probably leave as is and make sure it is fully charged before I head out. I do have a battery load tester so i can check it once in a while. Thanks for all the replies, you guys have put my mind at ease.

Refrigerator??? I bid $10, I can use it in my outdoor RV cook center!

Refrigerator??? I bid $10, I can use it in my outdoor RV cook center!
Says the guy who has a freaking generator!!!!

But not on the boat @Murf'n'surf ! How much is the shipping from Bimini? :winkingthumbsup"

I'm waiting for @Bruce to install a central vac. :)

@Glassman ha ha. Is that a borderlands reference??

Back