• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Shout out to KeelGuard

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the KeelGuard in the attached pics installed on my waverunner since 2011. Last season I thought my waverunner had a hole in its bow when I saw water leaking from it at the front of the keel. Luckily it was just water that collected in pocket under a tear around the mid point of the KeelGuard. This led to a lot of the surrounding adhesive failing and the KeelGuard hanging loose at point. Well I made a warranty claim via their website and was immediately asked for some information and pics, that is what year did I purchase it and for pics of the back, front and the install location. The same day that I sent in the information I got an email approval of my claim and a request for my shipping address, my new KeelGuard is on its way. Great customer service special thanks to Nancy at KeelGuard.

By the way Nancy went onto state that use of the KeelGuard on PWCs is not recommended because of the variations in the shapes of the keel (as seen in the pic with the white KeelGuard) but reasoned that keel shape was not a factor in its failing after being installed for seven years. I love the product and recommend that anyone who plans to beach their boat or pwc install them.

Again love the keel guard product and now the company itself.
C7D83A8F-5EE4-4CF6-A203-27FD12A5E9C7.jpeg 71B58AE1-A67E-495F-9251-97544C6213EF.jpeg FD7EC65B-235B-4049-9F61-E9FD1ABA5EC6.jpeg

You ever notice any ill-effects with it on a PWC? Loss of speed/maneuverability or anything?

I have never noticed any loss in performance but I have never taken any before and after readings either. The same is true for the keel guards I’ve installed on my boats, that is, if there is any performance loss it is not noticeable to me. For reference my fx 160 performs according to specs I’ve seen on-line in that it tops out at 59 mph and it accelerates hard and fast, although I assume that one or the other is in part because of the aftermarket impeller the original owner installed.

I am sure that the keel guards on my waverunners and boat are going to get used, a lot.

Last edited:
You ever notice any ill-effects with it on a PWC? Loss of speed/maneuverability or anything?
I can say that before and after i installed one on my FZS that there is not one bit of difference. Still tops out the same. Accelerates the same. And handles the same

Removal of mine was easy since it already started to peel off where it was torn, i just moved the ski to knee deep water and had someone hold it on place while i grabbed the free part of the guard and leaned back to pull it off the rest of the hull.

I got an email from keelguard stating that my replacement guard was shipped and that i should receive it tomorrow. Nancy went on to suggest using 3m 5200 to seal the edges where the keel narrows (i may do it with the white keel guard on the ski with a white hull but im not sure about using white 5200 on the black keel and guard.

I still need to clean up the area where the keel guard was installed and have a bad feeling that will be a pita. I will have goof off and an electric sander at the ready and will report back on how it goes/ what worked best, worst or not at all.

@Ronnie, maybe @swatski has some insight to share with you regarding the clean-up and surface prep for the new Keel Guard. I think that he removed and replaced one at some point... not a Keel Guard, but a different brand, but I assume that it's the same type of process.
I nicked my Keel Guard last year at Lake Powell as I approached one of the "beaches"... i.e. a bunch of redish rock flour that gathers in spots along the shoreline, and this has me dreading the day when I have to remove and replace it if I really hit something.

Ronnie. I used the 4200 to seal the edges on my SX230.

I may use 4200 on the white ski, so much easier to remove if necessary. Still not sure about the black ski but am tempted to use jb weld because it’s black although it may still end up looking like crap. I have also not forgotten that The first one lasted 7 years without any extra adhesive being applied to it.

After seeing this pic I took of some of what needs to cleaned up on the black ski before installing the new keel gaurd I think I will pay my son to do the actual work and just be there to support and guide him.
4E54D5EC-099A-4011-85E1-65368AD5C9C7.jpeg

Over the years I have bounced my boat off a number of things causing the Keelguard to rip loose in places. Thanks for the suggestion to use 4200 to seal the edges.

Here it is as promised. It was accompanied by a $0 invoice. I am confirming that I will pay my son to install the keel gaurd. $30 seems fair doesn’t it? I will wake my son with the great news that he is hired early tomorrow.

096C25F9-8015-4C35-9437-45C666FDF3CB.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm about to add a 6ft keelguard to my 2006 fx ho. Any thoughts on how your second one has held up @Ronnie . I'm also going to install foot well drains. Did you do this mod?

My second / current keel guard on my fx 160 is holding up well since I reglued the trailing edge (my fault I think for not prepping the surface correctly). I replaced the one on my boat last year or the year before. The one I replaced was around six or seven years old and showed no signs of peeling, I just replaced it with a different colored one. I recommend a keel guard for all PWCs/boats.

I have not installed footwell drains. I like the idea but my ski does not take on much water now so I don’t want to add drains if they lead to into the hull, if they exit the side of the hull I’m more likely to do the mod (I imagine it’s just drilling two holes, one in the footwell and the second in the nearby side of the hull, then a short hose to connect the holes). Currently the water only pools in the foot wells during the off season since I store my waverunners outside under their covers. When I want to clear the water out of the footwells I usually just sweep it out with my hand or use a plastic bottle with the bottom cut out of it to scoop the water up.

The footwell Mod reminds my of a another mod, pushing some of the water cooling water coming out of the engine into the footwells To keep the rider’s feet warm. I remember doing this to a single / standup / freestyle pwc and an older two person Kawasaki pwc.

Last edited:
Back