• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel guard Placement - 22' 210

EIJoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just got a (used) 2022 FSH 210. This is my first big purchase and want to take good care of it.

Those that installed a keelguard, where did you start it? How far up or down from the anchor locker drain? I know the manufacturer's guidance is 4-6" above the water line; I've not yet had mine on the water and not sure how best to measure that point yet.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got a (used) 2022 FSH 210. This is my first big purchase and want to take good care of it.

Those that installed a keelguard, where did you start it? How far up or down from the anchor locker drain? I know the manufacturer's guidance is 4-6" above the water line; I've not yet had mine on the water and not sure how best to measure that point yet.
I'd start somewhere in California, and end up in New York! 🤣

I helped my FIL install his, but there was no theory put behind it, as he only had a 16' boat, and just slapped on what they sold him at West Marine at the time. Out of the water, you could easily measure by taping some string to where you want it to end, and throwing a few pieces of tape over the string, along the keel, to the length that looks good to your eye (or just mark several measurements and take photos as you go). Remove the string, measure the length that you decided on, and order away.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The biggest question is what are you protecting it from. If it's beaching, then 6" above the water line is fine, as it will never scuff that high. If it's floating debris (rivers), then how often is your bow filled?

That question is relative, as those of us that have ever taken on water through the anchor drain realize that bow full of folks will get the water line up higher, and susceptible to floating debris as well.

The average owner rarely has more than 2-3 in the bow and the above no-wake speed there is very little hull in the water. So shoot for just above water line and you are good. I think mine have been just below the bow eye.