• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Silly question Trailer tire PSI

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the tires say inflate to 50lbs cold on the side of them. They are cold now, but showing 45psi each. We are heading out on a 200 mile + road trip tomorrow. The weather is going to be HOT. So, my question is, should I inflate the tires to 50psi, or leave them at 45 psi because the road is going to be so hot tomorrow?

My best guess is to inflate them to 50psi, but I want to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for answering my silly question.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine say 50 psi cold on them.

I would inflate them to 50.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No silly questions around here, they all need an answer. 50 lbs is the max inflation cold. I would not hesitate towing at 45. But if you have the chance filling them to 50 will be best. Does your trailer have a plate stamped on the tongue that lists recommended inflation pressures?

Just as important as pressures, make sure your trailer frame is level while towing. This keeps the load equal between axles and prolongs tire life.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know in aviation everything is predicated on a standard day. (59 degrees F, 29.92 in hg @ sea level) I have to believe the tire manufactures have a similar approach. On a 90 degree day (which is measured in the shade by the way), pavement can reach 105. This would greatly increase the tire pressure. Not knowing what the burst pressure might be I would run them a little lower than Max. Good question @Volffas. You got us thinking. One thought. If you make a pit stop for your little kiddies, take a pressure measurement and tell us how much it increased from your departure pressure. That would be informative.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think tire manufactures recommend weighing the load on each tire and adjusting the pressure accordingly. I'm not sure of the formula but I don't think temperature is in the equation.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know in aviation everything is predicated on a standard day. (59 degrees F, 29.92 in hg @ sea level) I have to believe the tire manufactures have a similar approach. On a 90 degree day (which is measured in the shade by the way), pavement can reach 105. This would greatly increase the tire pressure. Not knowing what the burst pressure might be I would run them a little lower than Max. Good question @Volffas. You got us thinking. One thought. If you make a pit stop for your little kiddies, take a pressure measurement and tell us how much it increased from your departure pressure. That would be informative.

Good idea, I will try to remember to take a measurement at one of our stops.

I did end up filling the tires up to 50psi, and filled up the tires on my truck to their max 45psi. Hopefully I can report back with some measurements.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Higher pressure is less friction so less heat and should mean less blowouts. I use the 1 pound for every 10 degrees rule on my cars with good results. It really only matters in the winter when we can go from 50 to -20 depending on what side of a weather system we are on. Those swings always kick on the tire lights when it sucks most to take your gloves off to fill the tires.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have to say that during the summer gathering of 2011 on Texoma, we had 3 different folks have blowouts either coming or going home. The temperature was 110F plus that weekend! I think temperature has everything to do with it, and is much more important with extreme temperatures. I used to run my trailer tires at the max cold psi of 50...except during extreme heat, then I dropped them down to somewhere between 45 and 48, but not at 50 on days like that. Disclaimer...I don't chase or change my tire pressures and keep them topped off at 50 psi 99% of the time, even on the above described hot days, for short/slow tows to my local lake. It would only be on highway trips that I would reduce the pressure, and for me, 100F would be my decision point.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your tire pressure WILL increase as a direct result of temperature. If the pressure is too low you will wear the inner and outer tread on your tire, increase the tire's internal temp and risk a blowout. If the tire pressure is too high you will wear the tread on the center of the tire, the increase of ambient temp will continue to accelerate the tire pressure causing, guess what, a blowout. Pick your poison. If it were me, and I knew I was making a long road trip on an unusually hot day, I would reduce my tire pressure by 3 - 5 pounds. The other option you have is to call the customer service # of the tire manufacturer to ask their advice.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And keeping your speed lower will also decrease your tire temperature.

mmgg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check your tire load rating ,, if you are close to the max rating them expect your tires to heat up more and pressure to be a factor. My tires seem to average a 5 psi increase on the highway.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up filling the tires to the max suggested level and we didn't have any issues. I felt the tires and checked the hubs at each stop, no issues. I do have to say that the weather was cooler than I expected it to be on both the trip down and back.

Thanks for all of the advice!