• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simrad GO5 XSE - Accuracy Issue

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the Simrad GO5 XSE and boating around Clearwater, FL I am finding some serious accuracy issues with he map.

If I am just off the coast and cruising north, it shows me on land, and when I am in the inter-coastal Chanel, it shows that I am about 100 yards out of the channel.

It seems to show me on the map roughly 100 to 200 yards east of my actual position, maybe even a tad more.

Getting support seems to be a black hole.

Does anyone else experience this? Is there a calibration trick?

-Lane

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that is terrible. My hope is that your unit has a flaw. GPS accuracy should be approximately 3 yards (10 feet).

I would start by exchanging the unit.

What map data are you using?

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is a good point... Simrad GO5 XSE with Nav+ Mapping pre-installed. I wonder if that is the issue.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Navoinics has great mapping data. You might try updating the Navionics + data.

My guess is that something is wrong with the GPS receiver in your unit..

Using my Raymarine Dragonfly, iPhone and Nexus 7 (Android tablet) I find Navionics mapping to be sufficiently accurate to identify the location of buoys and to navigate in complete darkness at 20 mph which I frequently do.

I believe that you could connect an external GPS receiver to the Simrad GO5. Have you tried this? I would exchange the unit rather than bothering to try it. But I did have a thought that if you have an external GPS connected that could be the issue.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How does one go about updating the Nav data?

No I have not connected external GPS

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Summers420us Please let me know how that works for you. I have been in the market for a GPS for a min. As soon as I can recover from my last trip financially I intend on getting one and that is the model I was looking at. I frequently boat over there on the coast so I am really interested in how well it does.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the simrad go7 and never had any problems
I use in Clearwater a few times
I did buy a new map as soon as I bought it for more detail coastal
I believe one of the maps preinstalled only covers lakes and inland so it may appear that you are on land?

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I restored all the defaults, installed all the updates, and things are better, still a bit off though...
Glad you got it straightened out, although I was hoping for solid accuracy.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a garmin 74 dvsv and the markers are litterallt in the same place on the plotter as they are in real life!.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a garmin 74 dvsv and the markers are litterallt in the same place on the plotter as they are in real life!.
I was looking at those, I like the garmins but I read the downscan isn’t as crisp as other units. Any thoughts?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine isnt touch screen.. so the interface takes some getting use to but crisp? How crisp does it need to be ? I dont need a 4k plotter... i just need it to tell which way to go. Mine is nice and clear... when i return on a route it will tell me how many feet to one side or the other i am from the original ttack. I love it.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My apologies, I was talking about the Garmin fishfinder not being as detailed as some other units; or so I read. I guess I really need to play with a few and figure out the strengths, weakness, and cost comparison. Thank you for the info, I will have to check them out.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive had a bunch of communication with SIMRAD trying to get my GO7 to talk to my N2K network plug. For tuning the GPS the guy recommended that if I had the opportunity, that I should boat a slow tight figure 8 3 to 5 times. Something about changing headings and zeroing in the GPS. Could be complete BS, I did it anyway.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I want all the network info from the engines N2K plug to show up on the GO7 screen. Engine RPM, Fuel flow, Temp, etc, Bluetooth radio is the least of my concerns....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mainly wanted the vhf to talk with the plotter so it would have my gps coordinates for the distress button. The fusion was a plus but i really didnt care... until i started using it. Cruising down the lake i can just look at the plotter and make the changes i want instead if sitting down and ducking my head to see the radio... in my model anyway. Its definately a plus.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, I want all the network info from the engines N2K plug to show up on the GO7 screen. Engine RPM, Fuel flow, Temp, etc, Bluetooth radio is the least of my concerns....
Did you ever have any luck with the engine data showing up?