• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simrad GO7 Mount (or generic RAM mount)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got my chartplotter installed today, thought I'd share some details on the mount as I've seen lots of questions about mounting GPS devices to the 242s. Haven't decided whether or not to install the transducer. That helm is TIGHT, Amp install should be fun.

Mounted the RAM Mount to a piece of aluminum plate (2x6, 0.5" thick). I had started down the road of 3D printing something with the intention of having it machined, but that was getting unnecessarily complicated (and expensive). This worked out quite well.

Started by drilling the ram mount holes through the plate. Fit nearly perfect except for a couple sharp edges

rounded them off pretty easily with a file

On the flip side, mounting hole with countersunk holes

VHB tape to help as a vibration damper (and keep it in place during install

All mocked up, ready to disassemble and paint

Light coats of self-etching primer

Hit it with a couple coats of flat black, let it dry and reassembled.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
looks good

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice install!

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious, could it of been mounted lower and closer to the side with a shorter RAM arm and a shorter aluminum mount or would there be clearance issues? It seems like it sticks out there quite a bit but it may just be hard to tell from the pictures. I just ordered a similar Raymarine Axiom 7 so will be looking at mounting options soon.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just curious, could it of been mounted lower and closer to the side with a shorter RAM arm and a shorter aluminum mount or would there be clearance issues? It seems like it sticks out there quite a bit but it may just be hard to tell from the pictures. I just ordered a similar Raymarine Axiom 7 so will be looking at mounting options soon.
I considered both ideas. I'm wasn't sure if I could have used a shorter length RAM clamp as I think it might have made the screen/mount touch the gunnel. Looking at the pictures now, I could probably get away with a shorter one, and may order one to try. Looks good in person though, its right at eye-level when you're seated, and there's plenty of maneuverability (can bend it back flat if I'm standing for awhile).

I could probably have made the aluminum mount about an inch shorter (bringing the ram mount a little closer to the starboard side), but then the screen would be quite close to the windshield. It doesn't feel like its in the way at all, throttle manipulation is fine, can touch the screen/buttons without bumping the mount. I suppose if you had some speed control or trim tabs installed up ahead of the throttles, that might make it a bit more difficult - but for a fairly stock configuration, I like it.