• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Single Engine Lateral Thruster Upgrade Available FREE!!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those of you who have already received your single engine Lateral Thrusters we have great news for!

JetBoatPilot had another breakthrough last week. We've found a way to retrofit the original single engine Lateral Thruster (spring loaded check valve version) with a set of wedges which eliminate the need for the moving parts!!!

This is a huge development and we wanted to let you know ASAP! If you have a current set of single engine Lateral Thrusters and would like to receive the replacement parts (wedges) we will ship them to you free of charge. Just e-mail and request the new parts.

You may be asking yourself, "why would I want to replace parts on my brand new Lateral Thrusters?"
Firstly you will not have to worry about the potential for the check valves sticking in the event trash or debris gets stuck in the action. Though we have not had this happen yet, we know it is potential scenario that could cause the part to jam. Second, if you are not the type to spend a lot of time maintaining parts such as these, the elimination of the moving parts will save you a step (less maintenance). Lastly, we have had two customers that have noted that their check valves were broken after only a few uses. We believe that there was an issue with a batch of parts that were not printed correctly and those gates were defective. We don't believe that there should be any cause for alarm. If yours were to fail the only thing you'd notice is that the part would function with less effectiveness than with the check valves in place.

Wedge Installation Instructions

If you've opted to install the Wedges to replace your single engine Lateral Thruster's moving parts the steps are very simple and you don't need to remove the Lateral Thruster from the boat.

Step 1:
Using a pair of vice grip pliers and a Phillips head screwdriver remove the check valve hinge pins from the left and right side of the Lateral Thruster. You will only have a small bit of surface area to clamp the vice grips to the head of the hinge pin so you'll want to make the grip as tight as you possibly can. Also we used lock-tite during assembly so it will take some force to break the screw loose from beneath.

Step 2:
Remove the spring loaded check valves (or the remaining portion of the check valve if you've had a failure) from each side. You should note two springs per side plus the check valve will come out of the pocket in which they reside. Clean any residue that may be left behind with a cloth.

Step 3:
Place the new heat treated wedges in place as pictured above, and install the new hinge pin and screw. Make sure you use lock-tite on the screw to prevent it from being lost.

That's it! Now your Lateral Thruster will function as well as before without the need to concern yourself with the maintenance and cleaning.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the lateral thruster on a single yet? I have seen a bunch of reviews on the twins.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the lateral thruster on a single yet? I have seen a bunch of reviews on the twins.
I have a 2016 AR192, I ordered the lateral thrusters and had initial trouble installing it. As I placed a call to jetboatpilot it finally popped into place. For some reason the skid plate clearance on my boat may not be the same than with the double engines configuration. I called the Yamaha service center and they said they had trouble with single engine LT install as well. The only thing I can stress is make sure you re- install rudder carefully, I tore up the plastic bushings in the process and as a result I had to order new ones. They are thin plastic and Of course they are on back order with Yamaha. I also ordered them on babbit’s as well. Once installed I then can get back to lake and test the LT’s.

Attachments