• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Single engine shutdown

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the family and I were at our favorite lake on Saturday and I had a "first experience" happen when we started out. We launched the boat - non-powered - and after parking the truck and trailer, hopped on the boat, started both engines, and began moving from the dock. I noticed something was wrong and my son said it looks like only one engine is running. Sure enough, the port engine had shutdown and wouldn't start. It did start at the dock but wouldn't now. I had my son open the transom hatch and check the shutoff switches. He pressed them several times and closed the hatch. Both engines started now and off we went. Several minutes later the port engine shuts off again while cruising at around 8000 rpms. It wouldn't start (the engine would turn over but not start - this happened each time it shut down). This time I pulled the safety lanyard and reseated it and both engines started and ran fine the rest of the day. My question is, shouldn't the safety lanyard shutdown both engines? Has anyone experienced a partial engagement to the point that it only affected one engine? Are the hatch switches and the safety lanyard on the same circuit? Not sure if was a glitch or a sign of potential bigger problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

According to my service manual their are 4 wires on the safety lanyard so a single switch does in fact run both engines, on a 2008 corrosion could become a problem you might try some electronic spray cleaner and work it up and down with fingers 30 or so times.....sometime movement in switches can clear corrosion problems..........remember the switch is not used much so movement might help.

Opps forgot to add the rear platform switches(2) (one switch for each engine) port/starboard let me consult manual a little more......I think each switch has 4 wires on each switch....... one set of wires runs starter and the other sets shuts down the fuel (same switch) that a little deeper dive into manual. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

Just a thought

Last edited:
Sorry the brown wires off both hatch switches take out the starter but the 2 remaining wires head off into the key switch...........I just can't seem to make since after the key switch if it takes out the fuel pump or the ignition system.

Back