• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sitting boat

So OP, you have a reason to be concerned if the boat overheated. Unclogging the pisser was not a solution to the actual problem. Need to get that sorted out before purchasing the boat. There's a small intake screen located inside the jet pump, where water is forced through, and then runs forward, into the engine for cooling. Check that screen. In a perfect world, it's partially clogged. If not, I'd be a bit leery of that engine. Why would an engine that is getting coolant flow still overheat? Most answers to that question are not desirable in the least.

yes, HP is 160 per engine, I corrected my post,

yes, they are only a visual indicator, you could clamp the hoses off and it wouldn't cause any issue, only push more water through the other exits,

That's interesting ..im going for second test drive.i highly doubt he did anything beyond clear out the pisser.so it should over heat again after a few min at top speed ?
What should the rpms be?

So OP, you have a reason to be concerned if the boat overheated. Unclogging the pisser was not a solution to the actual problem. Need to get that sorted out before purchasing the boat. There's a small intake screen located inside the jet pump, where water is forced through, and then runs forward, into the engine for cooling. Check that screen. In a perfect world, it's partially clogged. If not, I'd be a bit leery of that engine. Why would an engine that is getting coolant flow still overheat? Most answers to that question are not desirable in the least.
How long should I run it before I could be reasonably confident the overheat issue is resolved?

I believe those engines thritle down to prevent damage ?so if it doesn't overheat this time I also can be reasonably confident no damage has been done from previous over heat?

Throttle not thrilled if that's even a word.

the ecu/motor does have a "limp mode" function that limits rpms. I also don't know the limp mode rpm but I think it's in the 1-2k range,

I don't know the parameters that cause it to go into limp mode, be it oil pressure, temp, etc..

these engine actually cool better at higher rpm/speed since it getting more water forced through the system, it's also why getting trash or something in the jet/impellers disrupts the flow into the cooling water intake,

I would say after you run the boat wide open for a few minutes and then idle for a few minutes if no overheat occurs it would be ok,

How long should I run it before I could be reasonably confident the overheat issue is resolved?
I’d make sure to put her through its paces, run her good, and run it at low rpm for awhile after she’s up to temp. Make sure to try and re-enact the same scenario that tripped it the first time.

As for the rpm’s, I don’t know if it’s not an HO engine. I know mine don’t quite hit 10k rpm, but it does seem like I remember hearing the non HO engines are a little less. But I don’t know.

it is possible that the mud daubers had a home further up into the exhaust that just took some time to clean out, although it seems like a stretch. Before putting into the water, check the screen I mentioned, and make sure it’s clear. You have to put the throttle lever into the forward position to raise the bucket, then you can look into the back of the nozzle, and you can see the screen.

This Post actually reminds me of a recent member who bought a boat in Florida that had been sitting for years.

To the OP, read this thread and try to understand that buying a boat having sat for a long time, or not properly stored and maintained could be a serious mistake.

This may not be the case with your situation. overheats can be caused by something simple as others have pointed out. I think a more hands on inspection of the engine anodes, checking the thermostat for condition and foreign debris, and possibly pulling an exhaust manifold to check the condition of the water passages may be prudent.

@jimr5454 If you go through the range of rpms, overheats manifest within an hour, however, sensors can be bypassed.

Back