• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Skiing - 195HOI

rayski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This may be addressed somewhere, but I sure can't seem to find it. Purchased a 2014 195HOI late in the season (like late enough that I did a water test, bought the boat and got in one ride before winterizing).
As I am daydreaming about summer I started about the fact that I can move the stern around while slalom skiing behind smaller boats. Since the 195 (like all the other jets) has no rudder, is this going to be a frequent occurrence when towing a strong slalom skier behind this boat? Is so, will the Cobra Steering solve the problem?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, you're correct and may be a little worse (with a strong skier). Adding Cobra fins and adjusting them to stay in the water when on plane will help.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC can help answer better than me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have the only system for those pumps that can stay in the water at speed " it's a PATENT thing" so the issue with those pumps is they steer backward in reverse and if you have fins hanging down in the water they cancel out the reverse because the nozzle is going in the wrong direction so I build a system for them that works at all speeds and it helps with water skiing also, but I am limited as to how large I am willing to make the fins so they won't cancel out your reverse steering. I do it by placing the fins between the reverse bucket and the nozzle, when the reverse bucket is down for backing the boat it covers a good part of the top of the fins and reduces their input intentionally. So yes they work at ALL speeds and no they do not cause any water spray or rub on the reverse buckets or interfere with any of the jet thrust exiting the nozzle.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
oh boy I keep forgetting it is a new year and a new class learning about jet boats, I would use a 2 seat Sea doo SP and tow a slalom skier behind it while driving with just one hand , I tow 2 tubes with 5 full grown people in them at the same time driving with my feet using a p w c and that should explain the carving capabilities of even the smallest of fins when they are in contact with the water on any type jet boat.

Attachments

rayski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the only system for those pumps that can stay in the water at speed " it's a PATENT thing" so the issue with those pumps is they steer backward in reverse and if you have fins hanging down in the water they cancel out the reverse because the nozzle is going in the wrong direction so I build a system for them that works at all speeds and it helps with water skiing also, but I am limited as to how large I am willing to make the fins so they won't cancel out your reverse steering. I do it by placing the fins between the reverse bucket and the nozzle, when the reverse bucket is down for backing the boat it covers a good part of the top of the fins and reduces their input intentionally. So yes they work at ALL speeds and no they do not cause any water spray or rub on the reverse buckets or interfere with any of the jet thrust exiting the nozzle.
Still have a lot of learning since I spent the last 50+years operating everything except one of these modern day jets, so I'm asking questions. Have you done any testing or do you have empirical evidence that the pan head screws I see in the nozzle don't cause turbulence and thereby a loss of thrust (even though it may be minute)?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nope I use them in the jet ski steering with great results for 20 years and in all the sea doo and mercury systems for the same time, but you are welcome to do any testing you like I give a 30 day money back guarantee on all my products.