• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slight play in steering wheel

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2006 210 SX. I noticed I have some play in my steering wheel, about 3-4 inches left/right when steering. Anyone know what this could be and/or how to diagnose fix it?

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
BUMP

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is it in the wheel shaft or steering cables? Could see if there's a nut that's worked itself loose on the wheel shaft. Otherwise there's adjustments for the steering cables too, I believe.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need to get someone behind the boat to figure out if
1. when you turn the wheel the cable is moving at the jet
2. when you turn the wheel the cable isn't moving

probably it's #2 and if you look behind your helm at the steering unit where the cables attach to the steering box, they are attached with a nut, if it backs itself off it gives you a lot of slop in steering, if it falls off you can turn one direction but the jet just stays there and even though you turn the wheel back the jet just stays "loose"

look at #1 and #2 on the diagram, (the diagram is for a 2005 but should be the same for yours)

1591110775145.png

Attachments

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you. I believe it’s #2 but I’m not sure how to shore it up. All nuts appear and feel tight.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need to turn your wheel all the way one direction, then check it, then turn it the other way until it stops and check again,

If the cable/nut are still tight then this is not your problem, if (I can't remember the direction) the cable and nut are extended that means the arm is not catching the cable.

Have you had someone watch the nozzles while you turn the wheel to see how they are reacting?

305SX230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @vxooxv I had the same issue with play on the steering wheel. After tearing down the whole steering assembly I found item number 20 (steering system assembly) on @Scottintexas chart was the problem. I had a good amount of play on the wheel to the point that when navigating I constantly had to course correct because the boat would wander about. If you were to disassemble item number 20 you’ll find that the shaft slides into a collar and with time metal wears out on the shaft giving you play in between the shaft and collar. The gap is only many be 1/32th of an inch but it’s enough to give you that play. As a test I build the shaft up with aluminum tape. After I put it back together the difference was great. Boat navigates better and I don't feel like I'm driving an old school bus. I’m planning on ordering the replacement if my fix don't last. On Partzilla it $301.44.