• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slight vibration starboard engine and pump

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New to the forum so please forgive me if this is a previous topic.
I have an 07 230sx. Last year I replaced the intermediate bearing as I had a bad vibration on the starboard engine. Ran the hell out of it with no further issues. Last night I put the boat on the water got 5 miles down the lake and got a vibration similar to a small stick stuck to the impeller. I removed the inspection plug didn’t find anything. Turned back to the dock running 8k on the tac. Throttle lever placement was about an inch stronger on the starboard side. To pull the same RPM. Engine oil was fine, didn’t get hot. Only problem was low thrust and slight vibration. Cavitation maybe? If anyone else has had this problem I will take any and all advice.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look up under the grate with flashlight. Sounds like there might be an object lodged in there. Also check to see if reverse bucket is hanging down over the lip of jet nozzle. Put throttles in forward position and inspect. I wouldn't have suspected a bearing issue if you hadn't said you replaced, but if you had no issues previously after replacement for so long I would suspect that issue last.

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look up under the grate with flashlight. Sounds like there might be an object lodged in there. Also check to see if reverse bucket is hanging down over the lip of jet nozzle. Put throttles in forward position and inspect. I wouldn't have suspected a bearing issue if you hadn't said you replaced, but if you had no issues previously after replacement for so long I would suspect that issue last.
I will check those items for sure. I did see in a related post how to adjust the buckets. It is super odd that it happened so sudden. I would think that a bad bearing would have been a progressive issue. Thank you.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Longshot with this one but Check the spark plugs. When I had a bad ECM I had to run one throttle harder than the other to keep the same rpm and the bad engine sounded slightly different.

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Longshot with this one but Check the spark plugs. When I had a bad ECM I had to run one throttle harder than the other to keep the same rpm and the bad engine sounded slightly different.
I am the second owner and have no idea if they have ever been changed. Having said that I was going to get a full set and change them. I appreciate the feed back. If I have a cylinder not firing that would explain the slight vibration throughout the revs.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am the second owner and have no idea if they have ever been changed. Having said that I was going to get a full set and change them. I appreciate the feed back. If I have a cylinder not firing that would explain the slight vibration throughout the revs.
Yep, if you haven't changed them and have no idea when, they need changing. Be careful removing them, especially #3 cylinder. There is probably a good guide somewhere on changing MR1 sparkplugs.

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, if you haven't changed them and have no idea when, they need changing. Be careful removing them, especially #3 cylinder. There is probably a good guide somewhere on changing MR1 sparkplugs.
I appreciate the heads up. I’m guessing they like to break off?

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had a similar thing happen. Slight vibration/noise from port engine. Turned out water got into pump bearings and one had catastrophic failure. Currently waiting for rebuild kit to arrive.

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had a similar thing happen. Slight vibration/noise from port engine. Turned out water got into pump bearings and one had catastrophic failure. Currently waiting for rebuild kit to arrive.
Dang! I was going to pull the pump apart and check the bearings. Going to start with the easy things first. What kit did you go with?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hopefully it's your spark plugs. These boats are touchy with the spark plugs. You know the saying, if your trailer is making noise, change the spark plugs and that will fix it 😁

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the heads up. I’m guessing they like to break off?
It does happen, and it’s typically #3. Over torque and/or in for extended period of time is contributor. I change annual and use anti seize and very careful with torque.

Last edited:

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dang! I was going to pull the pump apart and check the bearings. Going to start with the easy things first. What kit did you go with?
Ordered from local shop here. Not sure who they use as their source.

TRobinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for the great information. I will be looking into this on my next days off and will post what I find.