• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slim Pick'ins

cb0ggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Fellow Boatlovers,
I'm a rookie and looking for a used boat. As you know, there is a BIG shortage of used boats! These 4 boats are in my budget. None of these were found in our classifieds, so expanding my search. I'm also not in a rush, so maybe I just wait until winter time so I can have one ready for next season.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/columbus-2019-yamaha-195-sx-ho/7369543291.html
??2011 YAMAHA SX190?? - boats - by owner - marine sale
YAMAHA SX210 - boats - by owner - marine sale
Yamaha sx230 jet boat - boats - by owner - marine sale

I'd love to learn (based on your ninja super boating skills):
1. Which one is the best bang for my buck?
2. Which one would you pick and why?
3. What questions would you ask each seller prior to purchase?
4. Any other advice?
**Bonus** Can you find a better deal in the midwest?

Thanks!
Future Boat Owner

There is a 2006 sx230 or maybe it’s 2004 in the classifieds located in Indiana you might want to look at.

how big a crew are you looking to carry? Water sports? If you can, buy your second boat first. As we get closer to Labor Day more boats are going to be for sale.

There is a 2006 sx230 or maybe it’s 2004 in the classifieds located in Indiana you might want to look at.

how big a crew are you looking to carry? Water sports? If you can, buy your second boat first. As we get closer to Labor Day more boats are going to be for sale.
Hey Mark, crew would be wife and 2 kids currently. But I suspect we'll want to invite another family of 4 out on the water with us so total would be 4 adults and 4 kids (all currently under 8). I'd like to be able to go tubing and cruising. Maybe wake boarding and skiing will come in a few years. I'm in Columbus, and can be patient for a boat. In my mind, my 2nd boat would be HO Yamaha which is low maintenance with a nice sound system, decent storage, and room for 8. My "first boat" would be a beginner boat that runs 15-20k. I'm willing to have my budget be 30ish-k for the right boat "2nd boat" that will last a while. I appreciate your input!

29K for a 2010 SX210, that's what I paid for mine brand new in 2010.
So you're saying it's not a good deal since you had the same price on the boat 11 years ago?

It is a bad time to buy a used boat. I can get probably 35-40 percent more on my boat than my purchase price used in Spring 2013 when theboat had 27 hours on it. Wait 2 years for when all the morons who raced to buy a boat during the pandemic realize it was a dumb move, and swoop in for the multitude of deals which will be all over the place in a couple years. And def get a twin engine. By the way, the SX23o will not hit 55 unless your are boating downhill.....52 maybe with half a tank, on glass, and noone on board.

It is a bad time to buy a used boat. I can get probably 35-40 percent more on my boat than my purchase price used in Spring 2013 when theboat had 27 hours on it. Wait 2 years for when all the morons who raced to buy a boat during the pandemic realize it was a dumb move, and swoop in for the multitude of deals which will be all over the place in a couple years. And def get a twin engine. By the way, the SX23o will not hit 55 unless your are boating downhill.....52 maybe with half a tank, on glass, and noone on board.
Thanks OCMD, I appreciate the reply! If I go for the SX230, I'll call him out on the 55mph test drive! I'm hopeful that maybe this winter will get some folks to sell after their fun pandemic season comes to an end. We shall see. I appreciate your suggestions!

So you're saying it's not a good deal since you had the same price on the boat 11 years ago?
At that price. I’d consider selling you my 2007 sx230!

You’ll definitely want to have a 23’ or bigger if you’re going to have 8 people on board most of the time you boat. Take a look at the boat mark_m has provided above! Amazing price even if it is a little older. You will probably be right when the off season hits prices will come down but don’t expect screaming deals haha.

Hey Mark, crew would be wife and 2 kids currently. But I suspect we'll want to invite another family of 4 out on the water with us so total would be 4 adults and 4 kids (all currently under 8). I'd like to be able to go tubing and cruising. Maybe wake boarding and skiing will come in a few years. I'm in Columbus, and can be patient for a boat. In my mind, my 2nd boat would be HO Yamaha which is low maintenance with a nice sound system, decent storage, and room for 8. My "first boat" would be a beginner boat that runs 15-20k. I'm willing to have my budget be 30ish-k for the right boat "2nd boat" that will last a while. I appreciate your input!
PM me if you want to check out our boat at alum creek marina (slipped) there are several other Yamaha’s that are also slipped too that you can look at to get an idea on the relative sizing.

The one Mark posted is a reasonable price, and a solid boat. It will blow away an single engine and the 210 and it is close by. I'd give it a good look. I've bought both my Yamahas of the forums (well the older forum not this one) because I could read the posts and learn how well the boat was cared for. They truly are bulletproof. Change oil and plugs once a year, and go.

Thanks Mark. Me being a rookie, I see a boat that is 17 years old. Should I not be concerned about the headaches that might come along with that? I 17 year old car would never be something I would consider. I'm not knowledgeable on boats and why they hold value over the years. Further insight is appreciated!
Fair question. But, you have this site, the history of this boat and the maintenance, etc that you can draw from. If the oil and filters were changed yearly these boats are bullet proof. Yes, 17 year old boats will have some maintenance that come with them (and the trailer) but the depreciation hit has already been absorbed.

if you can compromise based on your needs and it fits your budget maybe the 195 for 33k is best for you. Watch out that it isnot a scam. I’ll join you at alum if they will do a water test with you for that boat.

To your question on if you should be worried about the age of a boat… Do your due diligence and you should find the right boat. My first boat was 23 years old but only 355 hours, had no issues with it (thank god). Obviously boats stay in better shape due to not as much use as a car AND if the owner takes care of it. Take a look at a persons house, yard, car, etc when you go look at boats. How a person takes care of their things can usually give you a good idea how well they took care of the boat. Also stalk them on social media (if possible) to see if you can find any posts or pics of the boat.

Fair question. But, you have this site, the history of this boat and the maintenance, etc that you can draw from. If the oil and filters were changed yearly these boats are bullet proof. Yes, 17 year old boats will have some maintenance that come with them (and the trailer) but the depreciation hit has already been absorbed.

if you can compromise based on your needs and it fits your budget maybe the 195 for 33k is best for you. Watch out that it isnot a scam. I’ll join you at alum if they will do a water test with you for that boat.
Thanks Mark, I really appreciate your insight and the offer to meet up at Alum. I'm not pulling the trigger immediately, but the link you provided seems like a great opportunity and somewhat safe bet for a more affordable price. I will definitely reach out when I'm ready to take a look at some Yamaha's.

To your question on if you should be worried about the age of a boat… Do your due diligence and you should find the right boat. My first boat was 23 years old but only 355 hours, had no issues with it (thank god). Obviously boats stay in better shape due to not as much use as a car AND if the owner takes care of it. Take a look at a persons house, yard, car, etc when you go look at boats. How a person takes care of their things can usually give you a good idea how well they took care of the boat. Also stalk them on social media (if possible) to see if you can find any posts or pics of the boat.
Great advice that I will absolutely take into consideration! Thank you!

If no rush, I would just invest your cash now and try to make your budget a little bigger. In a slower market and 35k, you should be able to get a current design SX210.

How mechanically inclined are you a @cb0ggs?

Not to take away from the older 4 stroke jets but they are getting up there in age. Some models are known to have specific problems that could result in needing a new engine. And if you need to pay a dealer to do it the cost for the repair could approach the value of the boat.

Back