• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sling vs bunks for boatlift

Seneca_rider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Just picked up my new Yamaha 212SE 3 weeks ago. I am having a new boat lift installed and am interested in the pros and cons of sling versus bunks hoists. Is one better than the other? I am located in NY state, on one of the Finger lakes. Thanks

I would say that bunks would be a better choice than slings. Bunks will provide better support, long term, than slings. The marina uses slings to lift our Beneteau out. They must be placed at dedicated lifting positions on the hull, usually under a structural bulkhead to keep the hull from collapsing in. The hulls on the Yamaha's are designed to rest on trailer bunks, which spread the load out. Slings will concentrate that load to a couple of points on the hull and could put damaging forces on it over time.

Hey, @Seneca_rider , welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat! I don't have any experience with sling lifts, but I can tell you that a bunk lift works great with my 210 FSH.

I'm on Cross Lake near Baldwinsville. We've made it as far west as Cayuga, but haven't gotten over to Seneca yet. Have you been on the canal between Cayuga and Seneca? I know there are one or two locks on that stretch. Is it 10mph the whole way? I think it's probably a two hour trip for us each way, but I think we'll get to Geneva this summer just to check out the route. should be a nice cruise.

If you ever cruise east, let me know. I can give you some info on the river, locks, gas, etc out this way.

Thanks for your reply. I agree that the sling would concentrate stress on specific points on the hull. Just confirming what I thought, too.

Hey, @Seneca_rider , welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat! I don't have any experience with sling lifts, but I can tell you that a bunk lift works great with my 210 FSH.

I'm on Cross Lake near Baldwinsville. We've made it as far west as Cayuga, but haven't gotten over to Seneca yet. Have you been on the canal between Cayuga and Seneca? I know there are one or two locks on that stretch. Is it 10mph the whole way? I think it's probably a two hour trip for us each way, but I think we'll get to Geneva this summer just to check out the route. should be a nice cruise.

If you ever cruise east, let me know. I can give you some info on the river, locks, gas, etc out this way.
Thanks for the welcome. I have never been thru the locks yet, but I know it is at least a couple hour trip both ways.

I have had both.... hands down the bunks are better. They are more stable and provide much better support. They cost more but are well worth it! I would never go back to slings! Cradles with bunks are alot heavier though, so make sure your lift can handle all the weight.

Last edited:
Back