• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slow tracking tip

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After our first trip in our fsh 190 my son suggested putting a strip of electrical tape at the top of the steering wheel when it's centered. This really helped tracking straight in no wake zones. I still use it after 15 hours.
This is our first jet boat so I don't know if you get better at steering with little correction with more time. Does anyone else use this?
After reading several post of people with new boats talking about the steering, I thought I would post this.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thing I did when I got my AR240 was to put a wheel centered indicator. Helps a ton.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought alot of people probably used something like that, it sure helps.

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I use the rookie tape also. I don't really care for the design of my steering wheel. You can't tell if it's centered if it's not marked in some way.

Kevin Carlin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I agree with Clemson...less is better. The first time my wife tried to drive we were on a small canal. She had us almost into the mangroves in 30 seconds. She hasnt drove it since . Lol. Don't over compensate is the key.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very easy to make small corrections when you know exactly where the jet nozzle is pointing.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my AR240, the notch to remove the center hub cap on the steering wheel points directly up when I'm steering straight ahead. No need for tape.

Bill Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I also figured I'd mark the wheel but after the first few trips I'm just used to the feel now. I was overcorrecting the hell out of it. I found that as soon as the boat started to change heading to unwind the wheel and it stops on center. I put the thrust vectors on it before the first trip so I'm not sure how it handles without. :)

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Great idea I need to do this to see if it helps when using my trolling motor. Its easy to know you are going straight until you get back in a cove and the last thing you want is the articulated keel to be off center when trying to troll down the bank. Of course the Thrust Vectors definitely improved the responsiveness on my boat.