• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Small crack in hull under propeller shaft

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had some vibration in port side engine last time I had the boat out.
After I got the boat out of the water I looked in the water intake to the prop and saw some minor debris rapped around the shaft, probably causing the vibration. Easily removed with a knife.
But I also saw a small crack in the haul just under the proper shaft.
The crack it very thin and I’m not sure how deep.
Thoughts on repair and urgency?

Attachments

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had some vibration in port side engine last time I had the boat out.
After I got the boat out of the water I looked in the water intake to the prop and saw some minor debris rapped around the shaft, probably causing the vibration. Easily removed with a knife.
But I also saw a small crack in the haul just under the proper shaft.
The crack it very thin and I’m not sure how deep.
Thoughts on repair and urgency?
Repair yes

Urgency : is the boat moored or trailered?

If moored quick repair
If trailered on a trip 5200 to stretch the use for trip.

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Repair yes

Urgency : is the boat moored or trailered?

If moored quick repair
If trailered on a trip 5200 to stretch the use for trip.
On the trailer parked next to the house so not urgent.
If 5200 is the short term fix any suggestion for long term / permanent fix?
Any thought on what caused the crack?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you sucked a rope?

Seal it and glass it with a color match kit from I boats

Last edited:

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, twice.
Once the rope was tied off to the boat and the rope was pulled real tight between the shaft and the tie-off.
Could see how that could cause a transverse load to the shaft causing a haul crack.
And it was the port side engine.
Now it was probably about 18 months ago and I have been using the boat a lot since.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, twice.
Once the rope was tied off to the boat and the rope was pulled real tight between the shaft and the tie-off.
Could see how that could cause a transverse load to the shaft causing a haul crack.
And it was the port side engine.
Now it was probably about 18 months ago and I have been using the boat a lot since.
If no leak, it's probably a cosmetic crack in the gel coat. It's not an urgent fix, but I'd want to get that fixed up to ensure it doesn't lead to a leak as the fiberglass under the gel coat is not necessarily waterproof.

And stop sucking up ropes!
;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others that it doesn't necessarily look to bad but.....

I would also take the time to examine it and the impeller shaft seal carefully, I would pull the impeller and probably even pull the grate to get a clear view ( you might could stick you cell phone up there to get a picture), also I would monitor you engine bay to make sure you don't have a leak from it at the intermediate bearing,

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was a member on here that cracked his hull and tunnel from sucking up a rope. Actually did a fair amount of damage. There is I think a seal or some rubber covering that also got messed up. Can’t recall the thread but I vaguely remember the pics. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to double check inside the boat for any additional damage.

Thanks for sending link where similar problem was discussed. Learned a bunch!

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others that it doesn't necessarily look to bad but.....

I would also take the time to examine it and the impeller shaft seal carefully, I would pull the impeller and probably even pull the grate to get a clear view ( you might could stick you cell phone up there to get a picture), also I would monitor you engine bay to make sure you don't have a leak from it at the intermediate bearing,

Good suggestion. Will do!

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sanded the area of the crack by hand today with first 80 grit and then 220 grit paper and just about all of the crack disappeared.
There is just one little piece of the crack left. See attached pics.
I think I will just put some 5200 in the little crack and keep an eye one it and look for leaks.
However, the plastic piece around the shaft may be cracked. Will investigate closer and replace if needed.
The reason I sanded by hand was because I couldn’t undo the screws for the grate. Stripped the inside of the head right away as I tried the first screw. Any suggestions for getting these screws out?

Any other suggestions in general?
57E859D4-47C0-49B3-B397-C7A2144B7526.jpeg4800A7E4-5780-443E-A564-8EC401AE44B1.jpeg

Last edited: