• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Smith & Wesson® M&P 15-22 Sport .22 LR

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am wanting to do some non serious plinking with my brother and kids. I saw this at Cabela's. Anyone have experience with it? Is it a high maintenance gun?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am wanting to do some non serious plinking with my brother and kids. I saw this at Cabela's. Anyone have experience with it? Is it a high maintenance gun?
Buy it! I have one, my dad and brother both bought one after shooting mine. Great gun, easy mx and cleaning, tack driver. My girls love shooting it. I highly recommend gunbuyer.com - $359 no tax no shipping no CC fees.

http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-72196-smith-and-wesson-mp15-22-sport-sa-165-barrel-22lr-10208.aspx

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We shot one with the boy scouts a while back, It was tricked out with a scope and tripod and everybody had fun with it, I don't know about the mx aspect. I'm really not a gun person and only been exposed through the scouts with 22's and shotguns.

I would ask you this about the purchase, how comfortable are you and the people that will shoot it? with a semi-auto it can get dangerous fast if you're not watching a new shooter closely. I know your's are older but with our younger kids we started with single shots or bolt and pumps to make each shot action a little more controlled.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the MP but I would also offer up a Browning BL-22 lever action, everybody seems to gravitate towards it through out the day, it's just fun to work the action to shoot, it's a quality piece that you will be glad to hand down one day, also the Ruger mark 3 target pistol, I just bought it and it has been just as fun to shoot as the rifles.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Regarding safety, I started my girls off with single round loaded magazines. Once they demonstrated good shooter discipline, we moved to three round loaded magazines. Eventually they showed me they were ready for a full 25 round magazine. Ironically, at the range they have better shooter discipline than any adult I have seen. Just be strict with the rules, no matter the age of the shooter.

This is a great intro firearm if y'all are not familiar with shooting.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Watch the YouTube videos of the 15-22 with tuned trigger and slide fire! OMG, what a rifle. I would bet there was plenty of trigger tuning to get it to do that, but very cool.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. Another option the sales guy at Cabela's was telling me about is a regular AR 15 with a .22 bolt modification. But after seeing some of the videos, I am pretty much sold on this rifle. Looks like a lot of fun.
All the guns I have now were hand me downs so help me understand the gun buying process. Do I need to have a middle man buy them? Do I have to have a background check? Where do I start?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck

Three options that I have used in Texas... but always check your state's gun laws.

1 - Person to person sale, no paperwork required but a good idea to transfer via FFL if you don't know the buyer/seller.
2 - Buy at store. They will do required background checks for your state.
3 - Online. This is where you need a middle man, the FFL. He is certified to run the background check and transfer the firearm to you. They usually charge between $10 and $30 per transfer. Most online gun companies have a list of FFLs in your area that they already have paperwork on. If you use a new FFL, contact the FFL and get his credentials sent to the gun company.

Sounds a little complicated, but it is super easy after you figure out the best local FFL to use. Mine charges $10 per transfer and does FFL as a night second job. Great guy and even steered me to the cheapest websites he has found. He gets no profit other than the transfer fee.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the help @jawsf16
I will probably be buying from the site you recommended. I just have to slog my way through the IL bureaucracy to make sure I am doing it right.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The M&P 15-22 is a great plinking .22. Fun to operate, for sure, and lots of aftermarket support if you're into that. A good friend of mine has one and I've had the chance to shoot it a fair amount. If you like the ergonomics and manual of arms of a regular AR, you'll feel right at home with the 15-22. When he bought the M&P, I bought a Sig Sauer 522. Mine is the so-called "SWAT" model, which means that it has a full quad rail instead of a non-railed fore grip. Personally, I prefer my Sig to the M&P. Trigger is much smoother, the full upper receiver and quad rail are machined aluminum (as opposed to polymer), and probably most importantly it will digest any .22 LR ammo you put through it. It runs 100% reliably even with subsonic ammunition, which is not typically reliable on semiautos. My buddy's 15-22 is a bit more sensitive to ammo and will sometimes get a failure to eject. Not a big deal on a .22, but annoying when it happens. The stock trigger is also pretty gritty, although there are a huge number of aftermarket trigger assemblys that can be swapped in to address that. Either way, you'll have fun!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have the S&W .22a pistol with 5.5" barrel. Insanely good gun. It can out shoot some cheap rifles at closer ranges. cheap ammo, and good inexpensive gun.
If they build that one the same as my pistol, however, be careful the rim on your ammo isn't too pronounced. On my pistol there is a small lip on the loading ramp that a small lip tends to catch on. I lightly filed it to round the edge and let the round pass and it has been great since then. Before, it would catch at least once a clip. So, something to look for and be aware of. A higher caliber round would simply have the force to push through it.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine and my dads and my brothers all eat whatever we feed it. Cheap ammo is dirty but doesn't matter if you clean every time anyway.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never had a problem with Remington ammo and actually about to buy a bucket of bullets since we've been shooting our Ruger pistol so much (another 400 rounds today).

I had some Winchester "western" rounds that have about 1 of 50 duds in them but with no mis-feeds (another 1k rounds to go through though)

I would suggest buying a small boxes of many types of bullets at first to see if any work differently, (you should be able to buy the Remington 36gr. hollow points in a smaller quantity than the bucket)

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is a cool site for buying ammo. It searches the web for pricing and puts it all in the same place. You can search by caliber, availability, and most importantly, price per round. Pretty handy if you ask me.

http://www.gunbot.net/

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all the help, guys.
@Johmas50 that gunbot.net site is very helpful.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2017-3-5_11-25-22.jpeg

We've been shooting our pistol so much I've found one of these at my local Academy for $79.99 After reading reviews and many people complaining that they were short I (me and the kids) counted bullets (the * on the bucket says aprox 1,400)

Happy to say we had 1,402 The bucket doesn't have a tamper proof sealed lid so maybe people are skimming them.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is a great price. I am going to look into it locally .