• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So help convince me to buy a jet boat versus a outboard or I/O

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we have decided to finally up grade our boat and for the last year we were pretty set on a 24ft jet boat but after the bimini trip it has faded a bit and we have started looking at other options. Current boat is a hurricane 201 sun deck. We still have not decided but may keep this boat as well which could sway our decision because if we keep it I'm definantly going with more of an offshore style boat but more then likely it will be traded or sold since we truly have no need for two boats and two jet skis. What turned us off on the jet boat was all the people that had to stop and clean debris out when leaving Ft Lauderdale in 3-4ft seas just seemed like an extra risk factor that would be eliminated by an outdrive or I/O. Also curious for anyone who was on that trip if any of you went back to the clean out ports and found nothing a few times but just had the sensation something was in there due to strong currents and seas as I noticed my ski had that feeling a few times but realized once I got it going it was fine it just didn't want to have its normal jump in those conditions. The current boats we are leaning towards is the Robalo r227, Sea Fox Traveler 226 and the Carolina Cat 23sd. We like none of these lay outs as much as we like the 24ft Yamahas but like the deep vee hulls and large fuel capacity. We really like the Carolina Cat but it pushes over the upper end of our budget which is limited to about 70k. The other two are right in the same price range as the Yamahas. Is the having to clean out debris a common thing on these or a rare thing? Neither of my skis ingested anything on that trip that's why I found it odd and actually have never had to pull anything out of them. Help me decide or if you have any other boats I should be looking at let me know I'm still very open on the discussion.

Would you want to worry about your daughter coming in contact with a prop? I do not.

Also for the Bimini trip it is hugely comforting to know that you have two engines and could continue on one if needed.

The amount of sea weed troubles coming out of Fort Lauderdale this year was unusual. I did not have any sea weed issues in 2014. I believe a number of issues made it worse. The biggest being that we were not on plane. I find that I suck up more stuff when the boat is off plane. The sea weed was not getting stuck on the impeller or shaft, it was clogging up the intake. The second biggest contributor was being near the back of the pack. Either the front boats had a greater opportunity to see and miss it or they were breaking it up and leaving it as a trap for those of us further back. Followed by there was a lot more sea weed in 2015 than there was in 2014.

Regardless I would rather spend a few minutes cleaning sea weed out of the intakes than to have a prop strike ground somewhere and be stuck.

Do you anticipate boating frequently in areas with a lot of surface or sub-surface vegetation? If so, I'd pick something other than a jet. In the I/O ranks right now, the Bryant Calandra is my current favorite. Very cool layout and top-notch fit/finish/build quality.

@Bruce all very valid points thanks. The prop issue doesn't worry me so much as my daughter has been on a prop boat her whole life and knows the rules. One huge advantage I give the jet boats is the draft and no out drive hanging down its one of the reasons I keep coming back to them. The other major thing that always brings them back into play is just the actual lay out they are so much more like my deck boat that I love then anything else we are looking at and the swim platform is another big feature that keeps bringing this back into play.

@robert843, you know I enjoy salt water boating. For the last two years I have had the thought that I would be willing to trade a whole season of lake boating for a week in Bimini. In fact we tend to boat less after having been to Bimini. So I also admire the boats that were built for salt water. But I have not seen anything close to the size of our Yamahas that can offer the comfort and conveinence of our boats. Despite this years issues are boats are surprisingly capable in salt water.

I'd much rather clean out a little seaweed than tear out a lower unit or worse. Plus no water pump impellers to change or lower unit lube. I had a little buyers remorse at first but now very happy with my choice to go jet.

@Bruce we live in a coastal environent which is one of the reasons we started looking at other options. The tough pill I'm swalling right now is that the Yamaha will fit 95% of our needs and wants the other boats we are looking at will fit 100% of our needs but closer to 60-70% of our wants in a boat. I wish I could get the hull of the other boats I mentioned with a jet drive package but that boat unfortunately doesn't really exist yet atleast not in my budget that I know of any way. That would be a nearly perfect boat for me.

(In my best Bugs Bunny impersonation)

Does THIS answer your question Doc?

image-jpg.27136

;);););););)

Some will disagree, but I see the jet boats as great lake and river boats. IMO, if you are in the big water the majority of the time, I would consider something else and the bigger the better.

If you're planning on leaving it in the water then no jet but unless you get a jet dock. I've been told that jet boats are not supposed to be left in salt water.

If you decide on the Carolina cat, make sure to check out the Bimini. It's a little wonky and doesn't fit the boat very well.

In my years of boating there are only two drive platforms I would even consider in salt water, inboard (jet or straight drive like a shamrock or morgan) or outboard. I/Os are not great in saltwater due to maintenance required, moving parts etc. I have seen many I/O's with problems due to lack of proper maintenance and the last I checked an annual service of an outdrive was about $500 and people would pass on it due to its expense. It is very much neeeded in salt water on an annual basis where freshwater you get a lot more lee way. Other than that, I love my jet boat, only reason I would ever look at a different platform is if I moved back to FL and needed something better suited for off shore fishing but for fun, water sports, minor fishing etc. I love the Yamaha. It is about the most versatile boat I have ever owned.

Drive a 2015 24' Yamaha if you haven't already and see if that helps with your decision....

We have not looked at any I/O really even though our current boat is one. Our current boat has a 5.0L v8 I/O the anual service costs $380 that includes changing all 8 spark plugs as we get that done every year whether needed or not so the service on the I/O is not bad at all. I figured service on the outboard was more. What scares me the most about the outboards is just the cost. If it was to blow and I had to replace it the cost is astronomical compared to others. I can replace my V8 with a crate replacement for half the cost. I do know they are not the best for salt water though and I also don't like the draft on most of the ones that would meet my needs.

If you decide on the Carolina cat, make sure to check out the Bimini. It's a little wonky and doesn't fit the boat very well.
All of the other boats we are looking including the Carolina Cat we would do the wake tower bimini option I just feel it's better built that way. The Carolina Cat is the only boat that felt hit a lot of my buttons outside of the Yamaha but I just have tough time spending 80k on a boat. My brain just can't wrap itself around that concept lol.

To give you an idea the key needs the yamaha is missing for me to make it my perfect boat is a higher freeboard and a higher fuel capacity we like to do longer trips it not uncommon for us to travel 100 miles plus in a day on the water. The key wants the other boats are missing is the swim platform, seating comfort and extreem shallow draft.

Hi @robert843 , I didn't experience any performance issues during the Bimini crossing. I pulled my cleanout plugs at the halfway point to see if there were any weeds stuck in the inlets. There were a couple weeds in each that I easily pulled out. Performance wise, I could not tell that they were there. In my opinion the useable space in the boat, dual engines, and light weight are great features, but the downside of the design is that the hull doesn't cut through the waves very well and I think that the bow is pretty shallow for rough seas. Compared to a real v hull, the Yamaha really slaps the waves. Having jet drives saved me a bunch of money and aggravation this season as I would have ripped at least 3 props off this season had I been driving an I/O or o/b. Submerged trees are a real problem in the area that I use for wakeboarding. I don't think that anybody has a better swim platform design than Yamaha. The shallow draft was good for getting around in Bimini.

To give you an idea the key needs the yamaha is missing for me to make it my perfect boat is a higher freeboard and a higher fuel capacity we like to do longer trips it not uncommon for us to travel 100 miles plus in a day on the water. The key wants the other boats are missing is the swim platform, seating comfort and extreem shallow draft.

A 240 has a range of over 150 miles in lake like conditions without a weeks worth of supplies on board. We burn a lot of fuel on the way to Bimini because of the extra cargo, rough water and stop and go traffic. The new 240s have six inches of additional freeboard over the 2014s.

I made it to Bimin on a tank this year. 60 miles pushing water off plane burned just over 50 gallons. The ski locker is very big and has lots of room for extra fuel. Boat Test . com has the range of the boat at 133 miles, I think.

Question: What's the average cost for changing out the water pump impeller and lower unit fluid every 2 years ?

I/O Drives = More maintenance, more after-purchase costs, additional troubles, and more.

2nd question: What's the cost of a new propeller ? Isn't the average propeller life on an I/O drive approx 1 every 3 years ?

What is it worth in terms of BOATING COMFORT & FUN for "community seating" in a jet boat, as compared to all of the "wasted space" taken up by a motor cover for an I/O drive motor compartment ? I'm sorry, I mean "SUN DECK" ......... LOL !

Mindless ramblings from Lake Oconee wishing everyone a super upcoming Sunday !

Back