• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So I bought a Liquid Force Fish

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After looking all around it seems the 5' size is all I could find so I decided to take the plunge after missing a backorder shipment. It seems people are able to surf on this board fairly easy as its designed for beginners. Do you guys think it will be fine for me if I'm 5'10" 230 lbs? What's the worst that can happen if I didn't buy a board that was 5'4" or more inches long? Harder to get up or surf in general? I didn't want to buy a real long board and it be slow after I grasped the learning curve so I figured a 5' board should be a little harder to be stable but will maybe give me a longer lifespan before feeling the need to upgrade as I improve. Did I make a mistake? Thoughts?

Looking forward to trying it out soon!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
shouldn't be a problem, don't over think it,

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you plan on ropeless the size, shape, and length of your wake will be more important.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the reassurance lol. All new to this but I do understand the wake plays the biggest part. My 750lb bag should arrive today and hopefully I can get away to the lake this weekend to play around with ballast placement.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok board should arrive today and I keep wondering if I need to send it back. I bought it from Overton's and their return policy is it can't be opened or used for a full money back refund. So that means can't test it out and send it back if it doesn't work out for me.

I guess what I'm wondering is:
  1. With me being in the 230 lb range, what does that mean for me if I use the 5' board?
  2. Does that mean it won't be able to hold me up or that is will just be more squiurrely and less stable than the larger 5'6" board that has a little more volume?
  3. Does that mean ropeless is without a doubt out of the question for me with this board for me?
  4. Will it be faster or slower than the 5'6" board?

Not all of my friends weigh as much as I do and this will be the only board we have since none of them have a boat. I'd hate to have a big huge board that can't work for them but works for me, ideally I'd like to find a board somewhere in the middle ground. Unfortunately nobody carries a 5'3" Fish or a 5'4" Liquid Force Rocket (which is what I'd really like to find). Here are the specs:

Fish 5'0"
Center width: 19.8"
Volume: 15.5 liters
For riders up to 180 lbs.

Fish 5'3"
Center width: 20.3"
Volume: 16.7 liters
For riders up to 210 lbs.

Fish 5'6"
Center width: 20.4"
Volume: 17.8 liters
For 170-250+ lb. riders

So how big of a difference is an extra 6" of length, 0.6" of width and 2.3 liters of volume in the larger board over the smaller one in terms of ride-ability for my weight?

I know you said not to over think this :D ....but I can't help it. Maybe it won't matter much and the 5' will be fine.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 5'3" probably would have been ideal but this board will be fine. Once you get used to it you will happy you made the purchase. My prediction is you will end up getting another board anyways....lol, You can never have too many. :D

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is just my opinion without any facts to back them up,

as stated earlier, the wave and your agility will determine going ropeless more than your board,
If you don't mind holding the rope this board should be fine, it shouldn't be any more difficult to get up on, it may be slightly more "squirly" and slightly "faster"

I think I would tell you to spend an extra $40-50 and get something with a easy return policy that you know you will be happy with, on my first board I opted for the 5'6" and struggled between it and a Ronix Duke because I wanted to make sure it was something that everyone could do, everyone does it very easily now and I wish I had a smaller board,

Wish you were in DFW I'd be glad to let you borrow mine,

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Big guy = Big board. I'd go for the 5'6 fish if I were you. I have an inland surfer red rocket it's a board made for 200+ lbs guys I'm 6'2 and 220. It's a great surf style board. Most of my smaller friends enjoy it too. If you want to go ropeless purchase a board designed for your weight.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so the board arrived and I noticed on the left edge of any surface of the board has this yellowish fade in the paint. Anyone else with a fish have this? The online pictures didn't show any of it. It's not a huge deal but just wondering if it's normal with this price point board?

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was it because of the packaging right there? I bet the sun will fade it out or try a magic eraser....???

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like sun damage to me!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably sitting in a shop window somewhere.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If Overtons had a store by me I would be in so much trouble with the wife...LOL

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It was shipped in a big brown box. There was cardboard also under the plastic wrapped board. I agree it reminds me of sun damage. Is it worth the hassle of returning...hell I don't know by the time you factor in shipping plus who's to say my next one won't be the same...or worse? Just kind of sucks to buy a new board and it be faded on the edges like that not to mention it's not really the size I want. I need to lose some weight anyways so maybe just this will be my inspiration haha

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If Overtons had a store by me I would be in so much trouble with the wife...LOL
I not only have a store, I have the warehouse. If I call orders in, they will hold it for me at the warehouse and I can pick it up there to avoid shipping (and usually the same day). T R O U B L E

As far as sun damage, I doubt that. No sun in that warehouse or the store for that matter. Probably just sitting in the box for too long. I would call customer service, they are pretty good at making it right if you are not happy.

Plus if you send it back I can keep an eye out for it in the "open box section" and get it for dirt cheap....:cigar:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok I think I will call them. I also found a 5'6" board at M2sports. I'm chatting with the guy now to see if they will price match the Overton's price.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok the guy at M2sports updated their website to show the discounted price while I told him about it. Has anyone used them before and are they good? I saw one members post on here that got a damaged board from them.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I called Overton's and they were very nice about setting me up with the refund. They are mailing me the paid shipping label and then I send it off for the refund process.

I just placed my order with m2sports.com. I came out good because at the time I bought the Fish it was $279 listed everywhere and now it's on sale for $239 at most places. They price matched and I got the 5'6" board length I need for my weight! Everyone else was sold out or on back order for this board. Just sucks I won't be able to surf this weekend but at least I can go play with the new ballast and see how my wake will look.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
if you can take a pic of the wake and the setup that would be awesome