• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solo Launching

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Figured since the time is coming when I will need to Solo launch a lot for some fishing trips, I would like to know how people who solo launch go about it and their challenges and resolutions.

I haven't done it yet with this boat. I figure on a long dock at the ramp or where there is a spot where I can pull the boat off and moor it while park the trailer it is much simpler. The challenge is that on a lot of docks at the ramps here, the dock is barely a 6 feet or so longer than the boat and trailer when fully in the water to launch. Additionally there aren't spots where I can drive the boat off and beach or dock it till I can park the trailer and come back. This is at a great deal of launches.

So what would be the process? I was considering just using a long line to the winch and floating the boat off and securing the back cleat, pulling up the trailer and when the boat is clear, hop out and secure the bow to the ramp dock. Loading would also be a bit tricky.

Any thoughts or recommendations or video's would be awesome and much appreciated.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Pretty much how I do it. Depending on the dock and wind/current I’ll tie the bow line off to the very end of the dock/pier and let the boat float out there while I park the truck & trailer. Once I’m back to the pier I’ll pull the boat in and start it up and off I go.

Last edited:

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I back down close to the dock as possible. Before launching I tie both bow and stern lines to dock. The boat is so far in all it takes is a nudge and she floats off the trailer as I drive my truck away. I get back to the dock and tighten up the slack on bow and stern lines while I walk her back to the end of the dock allowing the next guy enough space to launch.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I solo launch and retrieve everytime. I park the boat and get the trailer. Try to park away from people if possible.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No way to park away from people at a lot of the docks. That is the problem. Boat will sit at the dock and the docks aren't that long.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what would be the process? I was considering just using a long line to the winch and floating the boat off and securing the back cleat, pulling up the trailer and when the boat is clear, hop out and secure the bow to the ramp dock. Loading would also be a bit tricky.
I do it pretty often and basically follow the way you describe. Loading can be trickier; most of the time I coast up onto to the bunks, then climb over the bow to attach the hook.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do often and on short docks with big waves it can suck. Our local Marina has very short shallow water docs and the bottom is also very uneven. when I tie to the doc, i have to back the Jeep to the boat, then back the boat up and change my fender placements to protect the middle of the boat all then.... back the trailer far enough to be able to bring the boat back on. It's a pain on short docks. Now, I have zero issue when the docks give me enough room to back the trailer and then load the boat. I tie my stern dock line to the front cleat so that when I back in the water, both ropes are accessible from the front cleat.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For me I take about 8-10 ft of rope and tie it to the winch post and front cleat. Go ahead and tie a long rope to the back cleat of the side I'm going to tie up at, and run that rope up forward to the front of the boat. Back the boat in and pop it off the trailer with a good brake jab. It'll float off the trailer until that 8-10ft of rope stop it. The guide posts/poles keep the boat from going left to right. Hop out grab the ropes tied to the front and rear cleats and guide the boat off to the point of the dock I wanna tie it off from. Then go and park the truck.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most important, per my experience, is avoiding heavy ramp pressure time of day. This time(s) will vary by body of water and by ramp, of course. You'll figure out a system that physically works for you, but it is 10x more difficult when there is more than average usage at the ramp. Most ramps near me are much busier at around 6 am (fisherman launching), 10 am (fisherman pulling out), 11 am - 2 pm weekends (families putting in), and 4:30 pm - 7 pm weekends (families leaving).

If you have to hit ramp with all the fisherman, sometimes others will be open to helping you to keep the ramp traffic flowing. This can be hit-or-miss, of course, but most fisherman are decent sorts. Exception to avoid is the guy with the bedazzled 28' purple metallic paint bass boat with $15K worth of electronics and a 400 hp Mercury Racing outboard who thinks he is Babe Winkelman.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having a place to park the boat is the best. If that’s not a option going during the non busy times as said above is best. I usually leave a hour before the family to launch. Beat the crowds, family heckling, and usually have enough time to enjoy a beer and a few minutes of peacefulness in the water. Rope tricks mentioned above can be helpful if you don’t have guide posts. I tried that once, decided it was to much of a hassle as the ropes got caught.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All good advice, I think the best is go somewhere that is not busy. If you need practice reversing into a ramp, hit a an empty parking lot and try to reverse into a spot. Lastly prep all the gear (e.g. lines, fenders, release the stern straps, etc.) before You pull up to the ramp, don’t prep while you are in line for the ramp.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put 3 bumpers on and attach a 30' line, one end to mid cleat and one end to bow cleat.
I back in until the boat starts to float.
I get out, unhook the boat and give it a push.
Line is long enough I can hold it and walk over to the dock and secure boat with same line to the dock.
I hurry to park the truck and get back to the boat...usually only docked 2 minutes and people can wait.
The problem I run into and what stresses me out more then anything is leaving the boat tied to the dock.
You get a 2-3' wake from a wakeboard boat and the dock and the boat start going all over the place.
I don't even like leaving my wife standing by the boat when this happens because it is so dangerous.
The ramp is in a no wake zone with no wake signs 100-150 feet away.
To me that means the idea is you don't make wake that travels into the no wake zone.
It does not mean it's ok to wake surf 10 feet from the signs.
Loading the boat back on is the real problem because half the time I am stuck in line and have to sit and keep my fingers crossed a big wake does not come through and cause damage from the dock moving. ( I am usually out of breath from run walking to my truck)
I also feel bad about taking up space at the dock but can't really do anything about that other then just trying to be as quick as a can.
I don't solo launch on peak busy days.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You get a 2-3' wake from a wakeboard boat and the dock and the boat start going all over the place.
Yup... this drives me insane. I avoid one of our lakes when going solo just because of this issue

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gonna practice solo launching Tomorrow, while the Admiral is there to supervise. I don't have issue's loading, and unloading the boat. But when solo and the ramp dock is 25'-30' for a 21' boat, and part of that is on the ramp before the water, and no place else to dock it after launch or before retrieval, it may get dicey. The flow is what I need to figure out.

SlavO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That video someone posted help me big time.. I solo drop mine the 2nd time out after watching that video. It's really not much to it. So far I've done it I say 6 times with no issues. And my ramp sucks... it's like a T shape if that makes since. GL tomorrow

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I saw the I-Pilot Anchor feature. It is sexy. When I get the trolling motor on this or possible next boat, it will have that.

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I stumbled upon this going down a YouTube Rabbit hole, looks handy but would certainly need the right conditions and space to use it!

Dakota Boat Retriever