• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Some advice on Hitch

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all

A while back I asked for advice on a boat purchase. My family decided to wait a bit after asking however, this last weekend we went to a local show, weighed out our options and believe we will be going with a Yamaha. We will most likely pull the trigger (99% sure) at our local boat show this Friday on a 242X E-Series. It took some convincing to get the warden (wife) away from a pontoon but I think it worked. She just wants to see whats all at the show prior to moving forward. I won't let her see much though! :D

My real questions has to deal with my tow vehicle and the hitch. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum with a 5000lb towing capacity and 500lb tongue weight. From what I am reading, a WDH (weight distribution hitch) is required if the tow weight reaches capacity. Well the X is just shy of capacity. So my questions are: Are any members here using a WDH? If so, What kind would you recommend?

My towing of this beast will most likely be 1hr from my home to my cabin in the spring and back home in fall with a couple others in between. Just looking for thoughts and...oh yeah... when the deal is done, I will be sure to jump in here full time as I will most likely need to pick brains on a whole bunch more. :)

Pending congratulations on your boat purchase. I don't use a WDH for the boat, but I do use one for our camp trailer. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch and it is fantastic. I've been thinking about getting a second one for the boat simply because it works so well.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Pending congratulations on your boat purchase. I don't use a WDH for the boat, but I do use one for our camp trailer. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch and it is fantastic. I've been thinking about getting a second one for the boat simply because it works so well.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Thanks Scuba - I have one for a previous RV as well however that is rated for a 14000lb capacity and weight is 100lbs. This would decrease tongue weight and it looks like I will need all I can get. Seeing if there is a lighter one that can be recommended.

I towed my 242 limited with a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. It had a 6000 lbs tow rating and honestly it was not enough truck. When the 24 foot boats are loaded with fuel and gear they are very close to 5000lbs. If you towed short distances it might be ok but I would have not towed that far with my Pathfiner. I added air springs to help with tongue weight but it did not help with cross winds. I would stick to a 21 foot boat unless you plan on upgrading your vehicle.

I was going to suggest not telling the wife that a new tow vehicle would be needed (you can break that news after getting the boat) but then I re-read your post and see you will only tow it twice a year (with a chance here and there) We have a 11' Explorer , same setup as you. Tow package with 5000# limit. Although I was thinking the tongue weight was lower....Anyhow, it pulled my old 192 GREAT! But that boat also weighed half of what you are looking at. I couldn't imagine pulling a heavier boat with it and is why I was "allowed" to get a new truck before buying my new boat :)

With all that said, separate trips excluded, I think you will be okay towing an hour each way in the spring and fall. You will probably have to really take your time but I think you will be okay. Any more towing and I wouldn't want to do it. Worst case scenario, I imagine you have a buddy with a full-size truck willing to help you out for a 24 cold one's a few times a year ;)

Edit: one other thing to consider is the terrain you will be towing across. If not too many hills you will do better, but even small but long inclines on the interstate slowed the Explorer down with my 19' boat. Once we got close to the lake, we were down to 2 lanes and some decent hills. I really knew the boat was there in the hills and was routinely pushing 4k rpm

And worse than the vehicle struggling to get up to speed is the issues you will have on the other side of those hills - slowing it down.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them greatly. A new vehicle is out of the question right now especially after my wallet taking a significant reduction for a new boat.. Maybe in the next couple years so I want to make it as safe as possible with what I have.

From a HP standpoint with the Explorer I am not too concerned but realize the boat is heavy. This new twin turbo ecoboost has more HP that the F150 I traded. (365hp I believe). It's also the same motor in the new F150's It is fully set up with the tow package but receiver is a Class III as its a unibody style frame vs. full frame.

HP is the same in both, but the torque is not, The F150 3.5 makes more torque. I still think you will be okay for only making a few trips per year. The motor has an engine brake and will help on the longer downhill grades and hopefully won't make you feel like the boat is pushing you around too much.

Towing an hour a couple times a year, I'd rent a vehicle for that tow...especially if there are hills involved. The transmission in the explorer will thank you. Also look at GVWR in the explorer. The tongue weight likely puts you over with a load of family and gear. That's a LOT of boat for a mid size SUV.

I've got an SX230 and I certainly wouldn't tow it with anything less than a full-size truck or SUV. That "only one hour twice a year" thing sounds good in the warmth of your living room on a cold January day, but when you've got the brake to the floor and are about to broadside a young family in a minivan because the driver didn't see you (because the driver was distracted by their about to be seriously injured or killed child).... well, every little bit of stopping power helps at that point and the bigger vehicle just may save a life. Sorry to be morbid, but I believe in the "belt and suspenders" approach.

If a bigger tow vehicle isn't in the cards, then your best bet is to "phone a friend" with a vehicle that IS capable.

Boating is a fun but expensive sport and you have to be willing to incur ALL of the costs associated with it - sometimes those costs aren't associated with the actual boat.

Just my 2 cents.

There are a number of towing threads to check here (use the search function on the upper right of the page), make sure your search string is at least four characters), with many quite different opinions.

As @biglar155 notes - controllable stopping power is a bigger consideration for many of us than pulling / hp / torque.
Also worth noting: The frontal surface area of these boats, particularly the 23 and 24 foot variants, is quite large... giving your tow vehicle a significantly larger task than the weight of the boat + trailer + gear + fuel + tow vehicle total weight + etc implies.

I agree, I would not tow that beast with a 5000# limit. I also have a Pathfinder with a 6000# limit and it is just enough to not be dangerous. It's a 270 hp 290 ft/lbs V6.

Mine is a 2013 which is lighter than a 2015. You will be way over your limits with anything in your boat/truck.

You cant use a WD hitch because of the surge brakes on the trailer.

Also, I added a second set of brakes to the other axle. (Although some will say that is bad idea)

Also, your truck will badly sag in rear without adding air bags to your rear suspension.

Edit... Just checked the weight on the trailer for the 242X and it is over 5,000 lbs.

Painted Trailer with Swing-away Tongue: Tandem Axle
Galvanized Trailer with Swing-away Tongue: Optional (Tandem Axle)
Disk Brakes: ✓
Lights: LED brake lights
Safety Chains: ✓
Adjustable Winch Stand with Strap and Hook: ✓
Height on Trailer: 94"
Length on Trailer: 306"
Length on Trailer with Tongue Folded: 285"
Dry Weight on Trailer: 5382 LBS

Add a full tank of gas (@6lbs per gallon) and you are at 5682lbs without gear.

Last edited:
@biglar155 amen. Glad someone said it. If a truck payment would kill the season, could you make it through a transmission blowing half way?

Our Grand Cherokee (4x4) has a towing capacity of 6200 lbs. Normally I pull with our truck but I have pulled our boat a few times for short distances (to the ramp, etc.) with the jeep. It pretty good for that but longer distances is more of a concern. The mentioned items above brakes, cross winds, larger hills all come into mind. You can rent a truck from HD for twice a year to avoid the cost of a new vehicle.

The biggest issue is that you will certainly max out the 5000 pound limit and go beyond it. Unless it is just you in the Explorer and the boat behind you, without the gear you normally stockpile for a lake trip. If it is bare bones and one occupant in the explorer, you may be ok safety wise, but a panic stop will more than likely result in a bad accident. But the one thing that wasn't mentioned above, is that your transmission is not up to this task, and it could fail or become unreliable pretty easily by putting this load on it. Just my thoughts...

Thanks all for your feedback.

I wouldn't pull that with anything with a 5,000. I have a 5,000# rating with my jeep and wouldn't go any bigger than my 21' boat.

You'll also be over the limit, which brings up liability concerns should an accident occur.

If it were down the street to the ramp and back, that would work. An hour on the road, it's not worth the risk.

I dont have much experience with a WDH. But I believe that they aren't compatible with surge brakes. I could be wrong here but surge brakes require the tongue to collapse and a WDH appears to limit that type of movement. If that's true, You might need lockout the surge tongue and go with electric brakes.

Either way, good luck with your boat purchase. ;)

I "dry dock" my boat which might be a solution for you. Dry docking is just leaving your boat on the trailer at the marina. When you want to use the boat, you connect and launch. In my case, the boat is towed about 100 yards. I would be comfortable doing this with a slightly under-powered vehicle. For the 1-hour drive, you may want to connect with a friend who owns a truck or rent a truck.

Back