• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Some advice on Hitch

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I actually hadn't even heard of a WDH until just recently when researching and I learned my next boat is really close to the limit on my truck. They do make WDH's now compatible with surge brakes.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could rent a Uhaul truck for $20/day. I did that a few times before I bought my F150. Way cheaper than a new vehicle especially if you're only towing a couple of times a year.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All

Thanks for your replies. I respect and value all your comments as this forum is valuable and a great place to be. (Stating this politely) I understand where I am at and want to be safe as possible. I understand all the comments from the weight police however my post is about a weight distribution hitch. If I had left out my tow vehicle and simply asked if there are members who use one and what there thoughts were. Pro's and Con's of the hitch this post may not have derailed.

Will the truck be a Max capacity? Yes.

99% of the time it will be used to launch and land the boat as well as drive 5 blocks to fill it up with gas. As stated in my original post the other 1% of the time is to bring it home for storage and bring it back. Maybe a trip or two to a local lake around home beginning and end of season to ready it for summer and a nice day or so at end of season. The remainder will be stored in a slip.

So, the reason for my question was to make the truck safe as possible.

I have done tons of research regarding surge brakes, weight of receiver, GVWR (6160lbs) and GCWR (10,400lbs). Tongue weight, tow weight etc.

I was merely asking if anyone has used one for a boat trailer.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@stever40 the Equal-i-zer hitch can be used with surge breaks. I found a couple of references to that fact including in the introduction video at about the 2:50 mark on the Equal-izer website.

Edited to add photo documentation:

Equal-i-zer.png

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@stever40 the Equal-i-zer hitch can be used with surge breaks. I found a couple of references to that fact including in the introduction video at about the 2:50 mark on the Equal-izer website.
Thank you Scuba. I have looked at them. There are two ways to locate the bars. One way is by installing a pole extender to the trailer and the other is to mount the L-Brackets right to the straight section of the trailer (what the consider the "Pole"). Both are stating that you need 29-32" from tongue to brackets for the spring bars. Do you know off hand where the break away portion of the trailer is and the jack? I don't have a trailer handy at the moment so just asking. I'll probably take a drive and measure it up.

Thanks again!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those measurements will most likely be specific to each model year trailer. I'm pretty sure you can move the jack. My trailer doesn't have the breakaway tongue. Unfortunately, my boat and trailer are locked away until the end of March with no access (it makes me sad just writing that). I miss my boat!!:bawling:

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those measurements will most likely be specific to each model year trailer. I'm pretty sure you can move the jack. My trailer doesn't have the breakaway tongue. Unfortunately, my boat and trailer are locked away until the end of March with no access (it makes me sad just writing that). I miss my boat!!:bawling:

LOL - I am in the same position as you with all my toys too!

Maybe the dealer will have a trailer at the boat show this Friday. Will measure there. If not I can stop by their location.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think this will answer your question, if you read bottom left bullet in the left column. This is the actuator in your trailer. I think everyone, whether they sounded critical or just concerned for the safety of your family, wants to share with you from experience, and are not at all trying to police you. The .doc below is your actuator in your trailer.

Attachments

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think this will answer your question, if you read bottom left bullet in the left column. This is the actuator in your trailer.
This is great sir. Thanks much!.

I think everyone, whether they sounded critical or just concerned for the safety of your family, wants to share with you from experience, and are not at all trying to police you. The .doc below is your actuator in your trailer.
I agree and this is why I'm here. very few posts but been here a long time. All of you are a great bunch of people and I value all your input.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is great sir. Thanks much!.

I agree and this is why I'm here. very few posts but been here a long time. All of you are a great bunch of people and I value all your input.
No you don't... you just want people to shut up and ignore the fact that you are putting your family and everyone driving around you at risk. Sorry but it's illegal, unsafe and irresponsible.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I just want to add this quote from another website I found when researching whether I could (or should) pull my new boat with my Explorer (this is from the Explorer forums) It explains it really well and makes you think a little bit. Now, the numbers he uses are from 2011, the 2016 is a GCWR of 10400 and not 10096. I am assuming the weight of the vehicle is very close as they didn't change too much. But for the sake of safety, I would round it up to 4900 or 5000#

From Explorer Forums:

To recap:
The maximum total weight of the vehicle, trailer, cargo, etc. is 9920 pounds for FWD and 10096 pounds for AWD ( http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/sp...ations/towing/ )

The vehicle alone, in Limited trim with 302a, weighs 4872 pounds ( http://www.edmunds.com/ford/explorer...est-specs.html) - I don't know if that includes a full tank of gas.

Assuming you have AWD, that gives 10096-4872 = 5132 pounds of combined occupant/cargo/towing weight. In my case, subtract 380 pounds for 4 people and another 30 pounds for gear, food, etc. and the available towing capacity is down to 5132-410 = 4722 pounds. Fill up those extra seats with people and more gear and suddenly I am pushing the limit for my boat/trailer.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just posting an update to you all. First I want to thank everyone that provided feedback. Positive and negative.

So.. Today my wife and I made the commitment and ordered a 242 Limites S e-series. We did make some changes to this. We changed the tower to the standard tower as we have concerns with a bridge that we go under in a chain of lakes we use. The standard tower makes it easy for folding with my wife. I also wanted the e-series to make the boat simple for the wife to drive. We did opt out of the 242x as we don't feel that we will use the boat as the x is intended to be used.

For those of you that are concerned about the Explorer as a tow vehicle I'm sure you will be pleased to know I also purchased a different tow vehicle to move this boat when required. 2004 2500 HD.

I did do all the math. With the towing capacity and it is right on the edge. The boat and trailer dry from what the dealer had posted is 4725lbs. The Explorer is 4901 bringing that to 9652. The total GCWR is 10,400lbs which leaves me 749lbs for people (family weight is 390), gas (300) and 85lbs for other items. Could I do it and stay "legal" as some of you put it, yep I could. Will there be a time I need to move it with the Explorer maybe. Am I going to, no.

As I said before, I was looking for opinions on the use of a WDH. As some of you stating that I wanted all of you to shut up. Not the case, the thread was started for a specific purpose and was looking for a specific answer. Cheers!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@stever40 Great decision and congrats on both a new boat and rig. You will be much happier having a beast to move that big boat around when necessary! Now we just need some pics...

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@stever40 Great decision and congrats on both a new boat and rig. You will be much happier having a beast to move that big boat around when necessary! Now we just need some pics...
Thanks - pick truck up tomorrow. The boat, that won't be for a few months.. The dealer ordered it and I am also having them store it until April.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome. Congrats @stever40 on both the truck and boat. I learned a lot about Weight Distributing Hitches and surge brakes through your thread. So thanks for posting. Keep us up to date on how everything works out for you.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations stever40. Do I understand you are changing the tower from the swept forward type to the type that sweeps back? is the dealer doing this?

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations stever40. Do I understand you are changing the tower from the swept forward type to the type that sweeps back? is the dealer doing this?
Hey Buck, no, I am staying with the forward swept tower like the '15's and 16's non e-series have. The e-series LS and X have a forward swept tower with the extended bimini. In order to fold it down there are 4 points that need to disconnect. When it's folded the extended piece will get in the way of driver controls. Also, the bimini top is either on or off. There is no boot you can collapse it into. And have it remain on the tower. I opted out of that option and the solar charging panels for ease of use.

Yes, the dealer is making this change. When I was at the boat show the Yamaha rep was there so we had the conversation if it was capable. All is good and there would be some wiring capped off they go to the solar panels. They did say if it was the other way around it would take a lot more due to wiring.

IMHO - I love the extended coverage with the new bimini on the new e-series boats however ease of use is not the greatest. For those that will slip the boat it will take some effort to remove and re-install it. When folding the e-series tower you now need to take into account that it sits higher than the non e-series tower about a foot and a half. Putting the boat in the garage that already have it tight would be a problem. I also like the ability to fold and boot the bimini from the elements easily. I think this can be an improvement area for Yamaha with future designs.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OK, now I understand. While I realize many guys like/need the large extended bimini, I boat in the more northern climate and only use our bimini once or twice a season. The 242X bimini is actually a detriment to my desiring the boat. I am hoping the Yamaha engineers come up with some other options next year.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK, now I understand. While I realize many guys like/need the large extended bimini, I boat in the more northern climate and only use our bimini once or twice a season. The 242X bimini is actually a detriment to my desiring the boat. I am hoping the Yamaha engineers come up with some other options next year.
Hey Buck - I like you am a northerner and we can relate to getting all the sun we can with the few months on the water we have.

Top Bottom