• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Some quick advice on Yam ar195 vs. ar210/230

LakeRidgeBoating

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks in advance. We are family of 4. My kids are 12/8 w/ the occasional friend. We've decided to add a jet boat to the current fleet. We spend weekends and the occasional week at a central lake in Ohio. So only get 4/5 months of the year to use it. Went to the marina last week to sit in the 19 and 21 foot boats and of course (I had no idea) learning that the marina has sold every boat they could get their hands on this summer. Plan on adding a used boat and I'm not in a hurry. We frequently have between 7-13 people at our location.

So here's the rub. Normally I would just get the 21/24 foot boat because of our family size. However we already have a 23 foot tri-toon and a pair of jet ski's. I thought the skis would make good secondary transportation when other family was on the sylvan. However we aren't really together and we can't take the dog. I really want it as a secondary boat when the tritoon is full or when we to have a little more fun or pull the tube a little faster. So I've been thinking a 195 or a 210. I don't really want bigger than that. I just passed on a beautiful 230 because I just don't think I need another BIG boat. Will the 195 offer enough performance and room or do I really need the 210. Any insight is greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh, I have a family of four as well - my kids are 9 and 2. We have an AR195 and love it. It has plenty of speed, room and versatility for what we need. We've had many guests with us at times, and the overall space and layout of the AR195 was perfect and we never felt crowded or underpowered - still pulled tubers with a boat full of people. I considered a 21' as well, but given the Yamaha layout on these boats, the 19' actually feels very spacious.

If you already have a tri-toon........and you just want to pull kids on the tube faster. A repower on that vessel is probably your best bet IMO. Best friend has a 23ft Berkshire tri-toon with a 150 on it. The thing is like a tractor, it runs 36mph whether it's loaded with 15 people or it's just him and the dog. Aunt has a 26ft tri-toon with a 300 on it. It'll run a solid 50mph, and has WAY more power than any 'toon should be allowed to have. It's great fun, has tons and tons of space, and it a joy to drive.

If you're dead set on adding a second (4th?) vessel to your fleet. I would go twin engine in the 21+ ft range. The accessible power, and versatility is better on the larger boat IMO. My AR190 does good, but it's crowded in a hurry with 8 adults. 4 adults and 4 kids (under 10) makes it start showing it's size. It's also VERY sensitive to weight placement. Had 4 adults and a GIANT yeti (so big it had to live on the swim platform), ran 42mph WFO to the party spot. On the way back in the girls wanted to sit in the bow, dropped me to 36mph WFO. Just moving ~280lbs from the cockpit to the bow dropped my top speed by 6mph. I haven't heard of similar issues with the larger boats, in particular the twin engined boats. The cost of ownership between an AR190 and an AR210 is minimal. The extra space and power will never be a bad thing.

We're looking to move to a 24ft in the spring. We're finding we have enough "other people" with us often enough that we want some more space. The 190 has served us really well for 4 seasons, we're just finally ready for a "bigger boat".

Thanks for your comments guys, I'm in a similar debate here just replacing my 23' Crest pontoon to a jetboat due to the increased level of water sports from my two boys (ages 16 and 11). We are in a 400 acres lake here in Indiana, so definitely don't need a large boat but don't want to feel crowded. We are a family of 4 and don't get a lot of guests, perhaps 2 or 3 friends at a time. Occasionally a larger group once or twice a year. I have a boat dock and a lift at our lake cottage, therefore storage is not an issue. I'm 50/50 now between AR195 and AR210.

Unless there is some limitations (Money, Dock/lift) go bigger. We debated between the 19 and 21, went with the 21. It has plenty of room for the family(6) , but gets tight when friends join us. If I could go back, I would have swallowed hard and went with the 24. We also looked at pontoons with big engines, but decided with jet power for safety with the kids. A guy a lake over just ran over his dog (jumped off the back just as he was taking off with his pontoon, dog barely made it but will have lots of scars.

My two cents is go one size Bigger if you can swing it and don't look back.

Thanks for your comments guys, I'm in a similar debate here just replacing my 23' Crest pontoon to a jetboat due to the increased level of water sports from my two boys (ages 16 and 11). We are in a 400 acres lake here in Indiana, so definitely don't need a large boat but don't want to feel crowded. We are a family of 4 and don't get a lot of guests, perhaps 2 or 3 friends at a time. Occasionally a larger group once or twice a year. I have a boat dock and a lift at our lake cottage, therefore storage is not an issue. I'm 50/50 now between AR195 and AR210.
Unless you have to keep it in a garage or have a smaller tow vehicle, the AR210 is the choice here IMO.

We went after a 24ft when we bought, but brought home the 19ft because it would fit in the garage and save us on storage. Got us on the water sooner and within our budget better than the 24ft, based on offsite storage alone. We've since upgraded tow vehicles, and lived within our means enough that we can upgrade to a larger one this year, and offsite storage fits within our means still.

For us......once we cross OUT of garage storage, we'll be getting the largest boat we can. The cost of ownership doesn't increase linearly with boat length. Storage and tow vehicle "steps" are pretty big, but otherwise the cost of ownership is about the same for a 21ft or a 24ft. Never heard someone say "Man I wish I had less space on this boat", or "Man I wish I had gotten the smaller engine". That increased capability is RARELY a regret.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I can't refit the tri-toon....it's already got the biggest motor available. Also while I have the ability use it...it's actually owned by family. That's part of the need for the second boat.

If you already have a tri-toon........and you just want to pull kids on the tube faster. A repower on that vessel is probably your best bet IMO. Best friend has a 23ft Berkshire tri-toon with a 150 on it. The thing is like a tractor, it runs 36mph whether it's loaded with 15 people or it's just him and the dog. Aunt has a 26ft tri-toon with a 300 on it. It'll run a solid 50mph, and has WAY more power than any 'toon should be allowed to have. It's great fun, has tons and tons of space, and it a joy to drive.

If you're dead set on adding a second (4th?) vessel to your fleet. I would go twin engine in the 21+ ft range. The accessible power, and versatility is better on the larger boat IMO. My AR190 does good, but it's crowded in a hurry with 8 adults. 4 adults and 4 kids (under 10) makes it start showing it's size. It's also VERY sensitive to weight placement. Had 4 adults and a GIANT yeti (so big it had to live on the swim platform), ran 42mph WFO to the party spot. On the way back in the girls wanted to sit in the bow, dropped me to 36mph WFO. Just moving ~280lbs from the cockpit to the bow dropped my top speed by 6mph. I haven't heard of similar issues with the larger boats, in particular the twin engined boats. The cost of ownership between an AR190 and an AR210 is minimal. The extra space and power will never be a bad thing.

We're looking to move to a 24ft in the spring. We're finding we have enough "other people" with us often enough that we want some more space. The 190 has served us really well for 4 seasons, we're just finally ready for a "bigger boat".
The difference with the AR 190 is it's not supercharged that makes quite a bit of difference in performance

Back