• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Some quick safety information for boating:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I was running through the safety checklist for the Chicago Loop Cruise and came across the fact that my boat won't pass! Some of the little things we don't think about can catch up to us.

First up was my battery boxes. The previous owner didn't have them. He had tie downs. But the rule is that they terminals have to be covered. I have type 24 batteries. Look on your battery to see what type you have, and it makes it easy to find the appropriate boxes. I am purchasing these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5SGBO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Second was my fire extinguisher. You know, it's in that little hole next to you as you drive. On my boat it's a lot bigger than I had figured it to be from the size of the hole! It's a 2 lb dry chemical one. The label says it's good for 10 years, which is awesome! Mine was stamped on the bottom "07" so I am purchasing a new one anyways so I have no chance of anything going wrong out in Bimini, on the Chicago river, or out on Lake Michigan. The second one will just go in my shop. The dimensions of it (at least on my 08 ss) is 3" in diameter, and 12.75" tall.
I am purchasing this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T0DS85M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G7UTDO1VZW46

I also have a whistle. Some would use an air horn type of deal, but I find that most people just end up playing with it and then it's not functional at some point. Both are great.
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...&qid=1429454813&sr=8-4&keywords=marine+flares

Don't forget your throwable! Certainly can be an overlooked item! I keep it in the cuddy most the time, but put next to my seat when traveling big water.
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-40104-T...qid=1429454992&sr=8-11&keywords=marine+flares

FLARES
Amazon doesn't really carry them!
I went to westmarine.com to check it out. I actually have a 12 gauge pistol launcher for them and will be purchasing the shells for it. Mine expired in 2011! I am guessing that due to shipping issues amazon doesn't sell through online stuff. I don't know why others would.
I am going to call Cabelas by me to see if they carry in store. The places online usually have something like a $25-30 shipping fee extra due to being hazmat. Best to find local!
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/orion--12-gauge-high-performance-red-meteor-flares--9376443

Of course, the usual things like the lights working, registration numbers on, and your sticker with capacity need to be all in order as well.

I hope I helped you guys shop if you don't have the stuff in order!
I am sure the comments following will add to what I have here as well.
-Speedling

This impresses me as a very good reminder: things expire! Great that you checked all of the dates on all of those things and replaced the items that are expired or going to expire. I think many of us just purchase it and forget it.

As to the battery boxes: My batteries are tied down, but I have taken pains to make sure that as I upgraded stereo, etc., that the terminal covers were also modified so that they would fit and continue to cover the terminals. There are little caps that go over mine and cover both connectors on the terminal. If you don't want to go with the full box, such covers would be an option (sorry, I don't have a source/link--mine came with the boat).

@Speedling, you might check Walmart for your flares. I'm pretty sure I saw some of those at our local store when I was picking up some handheld ones the other day.

A couple more things I have or grabbed that could help with safety:
A paddle! You never know when something bad could happen, so don't be stuck up a creek without a paddle.
Binoculars. Find your anchor spot. Look to see what is causing smoke. See the birds.
Boat hook. This thing is so stinking useful!!!! Hold onto the side in locks. Have the wife in the boat with kids and she can use one hand to hold boat against the dock while you park the truck. Use to push other boats off you if they get to close. Use to hold out far so they can pull you in. It's a pole with a hook, but not the type that would impale you. We use it all the time. And not always on the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...UTF8&qid=1429461695&sr=8-1&keywords=boat+hook

Tip on buying flares, particularly early in the season:

Buy in person, not via the 'net.

Why? So you can check the expiration date. Flares have shelf life and expire. Expired flares are OK to keep on board as extras, but do not fulfill the legal requirements.

Buying in person allows you to make sure you are not buying last year's product. Dig through the store's inventory, buy the newest flares...the price will be the same whether they have five years left or four (or even three.)

Thanks for the reminder. I had that same hook last year and loved it. Ended up breaking at some point on a dock, ordering another.

Back