• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Some subs not speed...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Started wiring.
Twin amps! I am debating on putting a piece of plexi in front of them. Would keep them protected from junk being thrown in there but would run them hotter. I don't think i will be blasting them too hard either way since the amps out power the speakers in both cases about 2.5:1
The top and bottom of the amp area is completely open so air can circulate that way just not the front if i put the plexi.

As for the subs i am still wondering what i want to do for grills. My buddy that works with a cnc all day said that it may be possible to cut aluminium to the yamaha pitchforks....
20160331_174552.jpg 20160331_174644.jpg

Fyi i don't splice with that electrical tape, i use it to tie wires together when pulling through holes and for marking ground wires.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, new boxes with subs in are 2.5 lbs lighter than old box WITHOUT subs.
Some speed after all!
The new boxes also look more aerodynamic, you will pick up at least 2mph.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice work. You did such a nice job on the boxes, I think they could be installed in a space ship!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Very nice work. You did such a nice job on the boxes, I think they could be installed in a space ship!
lol I dunno about that but I bet you could throw them off the roof of the house and they would just bounce!
I'm not going to test that though...

Wiring one sub on the starboard side I realized I have no idea where my spool of speaker wire is. May need to order some. I like the higher quality stuff so it doesn't just turn green after a year.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Finally got back to it.
Finished up my ground wires.
Also fed one amp with the pass through of the first one. Never done that before so we will see how it goes!
20160411_193837.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling Looks great. Is there an advantage to this wiring scheme other than not having to run inputs from the HU?
Assuming your left amp is for the subs.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling Looks great. Is there an advantage to this wiring scheme other than not having to run inputs from the HU?
Assuming your left amp is for the subs.
Well, the amp on the right is for the subs. It is a class D and while smaller has a LOT more power to it.
I have the pre-outs to that amp, and then it has a pass-through for them as well. So run from those to the next amp.
Therefore, only one set of RCA's need to be ran over there instead of two. At least that's my hope anyways!
The left amp is for the tower speakers. 150 rms (165 tested according to the sheet they sent with it) x 2 channels vs the 500x1 monoblock for the subs (645 tested)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
WOW!
I just had a horrid few weeks trying to figure out what wasn't working right. Amp was showing a red light then turning off before any sound.
Tried everything.
Went through all wiring.

Solution?

Apparently a fuse can look good, but can oxidize to being bad. The fuse i was using had sat in water during one of our last outings because i pulled all fuses but then got rained on. Lesson learned!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great looking work!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good looking setup.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had that sub setup in my boat and unless you cut some big holes in your storage area you won't get any sound from the subs, you will only get vibrations. I ended up changing to a 10" IB speaker.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had that sub setup in my boat and unless you cut some big holes in your storage area you won't get any sound from the subs, you will only get vibrations. I ended up changing to a 10" IB speaker.
Well, not to prove you wrong but i finally go everything hooked up as i want it (still need to put loom around some) and omg it's probably the cleanest sounding setup i have ever installed.
I may want new cabin speakers though.
20160720_173331.jpg
New switches to turn on subs or tower speakers. Work great!

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My SS subs. Two 12 in b boxes in the storage. 20160720_180532.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My SS subs. Two 12 in b boxes in the storage. View attachment 42037
Looks sweet! Losing a lot of storage there which is why I am trying out this crammed way in the back position, lol Seems I could use some speaker grills but other than that not too bad.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
As I look at it all in the heat, I am thinking I should have painted the wood behind the amps. The plywood look is kinda tacky with the rest. Perhaps some stain or something instead? It's only gonna bug me because it all gets covered up!

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It's just two of us so we still have plenty of storage. The b boxes just fit under the glove box. Still a lot of storage in front of the boxes. 4 6x9 DD vo in the lower section and 4 6 1\2 DD vos in the stock locations. 3amps and 5 batteries. Still get the bathtub effect without a tower.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, not to prove you wrong but i finally go everything hooked up as i want it (still need to put loom around some) and omg it's probably the cleanest sounding setup i have ever installed.
I may want new cabin speakers though.
View attachment 42034
New switches to turn on subs or tower speakers. Work great!
You don't have to prove me wrong, I just made the statement that I went down the same road as you did with almost an identical setup and I wan't happy with it. There was just no way to allow the sound to escape the storage area without cutting large holes in the boat. I'm glad you are happy with your setup.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You don't have to prove me wrong, I just made the statement that I went down the same road as you did with almost an identical setup and I wan't happy with it. There was just no way to allow the sound to escape the storage area without cutting large holes in the boat. I'm glad you are happy with your setup.
I have like nothing in those areas at the moment and no rears sitting on them either so i am sure it will change when on the water!

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you just leave the box under the seats, un-vented into the cabin? I am going to do a sub and I really do not want to cut into the fiberglass...