• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Some thoughts on bringing our 19 foot boats to the Florida Keys

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the family and i are spending Christmas in Marathon Florida. I had posted some of this under destinations but realized of course the 24 foot guys did most of the answering so i thought i would add my thoughts for the next one of us.

Please note that i an on my second boat, 5 years with the first mostly on lakes or kept on the lake at a marina.

First of all I dont know how these guys do Bimini in a 19 foot yamaha.

Trailering the boat was fine. New boat new trailer hubs needed no grease the whole way. My toyota tacoma towed where i forgot the trailer was behind me most of the way. I got better gas mileage in slower traffic like 50 mph than i did going 65-70. Probably a full size truck would have been a good idea.

I had a marina booked with a private ramp and while it was a safe place to keep the boat on the trailer and the ramp was nice and easy, most marinas use these ramps for large boats and have no finger docks. Infact we had to climb up and down a ladder to get in the boat as the docks dont float and are not designed for small boats. The owner was nice enough to attach rubber to the pilings as you really cant use fenders. Note that low tide meant is like 2 feet difference.

First day on the water. The ocean is big and most boats are big. However, who would guess the ocean side is calmer than the coast.

Pretty much able to go anywhere but shallows do get sea grass stuck in the prop. Decided to take the kids snorkeling at Sombrero reef. Got half way and chickened out as 1-2 foot waves make 2-4 foot swells. Best advice. If it doesnt feel right turn around.

Probably go out again wednesday or thursday and let you know my experiences.

When your wife says why are you having all these issues when everyone is out in a boat. Pull up next to a 26' center console so she understands how huge they are and how high out of the water they are.

Hope this was helpful. I will update later in the week if this is helpful or of interest to anyone.

I don't regret bringing the boat because the experience is worth it. We anchored in 3 feet of water with white sand and ate lunch and swam.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for posting, I’m in Tampa and did not brin the boat this time but want too this spring. Keep the advice coming

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nineteen footers can do it but timing (conditions) and the right crew are very important.

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanx for the info . Im thinking a winter run down there but not shore if we are taking skis or ar 230

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Peter, I am interested in how your experience goes. I have been talking about taking a trip to the keys, also planning to include my parents with us. Being as this is my first boat and none of us have any experience, I can use all the advice I can get.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today was a bit windy but we decided to take the boat to go to lunch. Most restaurants are on the gulf side and are not really designed for small boats as alot of times the docks are on piers and the piers will come in contact with the boat. One of the 70' yacht owners at the marina i am keeping the boat at lent me 2 horizontal fenders about 4 feel long which allowed us to dock next agaist the pier without damaging the boat at the restaurant. The tide was avg and we had no problem getting in or out of the boat but the boat was resting against the pier and without the fenders we would have had some scrapes or damage.

There were less boats out today so i found the channel connecting the ocean and gulf much smoother today.

Its nice thay everyone here is helpful and willing to give advice. I was talking to someone at the marina and he said if i was hesitant to head out to sombrero reef myself, i should book my kids on a $30 snorkel charter and ask if i can follow them out there myself. So that will be our plans friday which is supposed to be a low wind calm day.

I know it sounds like i am chicken but my family's safety comes first and then my boat which still has plenty of payments left.

I think a boat mounted gps would come in handy for the keys as your phone is not ideal for the ocean. I could justify a combo gps/fish finder if someone would teach me to fish.

Other than the keys, we go to florida often on the intercoastal and myrtle beach as well. The gps would come in handy at both.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, a plotter or at minimum a mounted tablet with Navionics is critical for such an area!

You are not chicken, the forecast from Sombrero Key is was too rough for any Yamaha.

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 6.15.35 PM.png

You can check for updates at https://www.sailflow.com/map#24.792,-80.306,9,1,!497,2

I suggest sticking to less than 1.5 foot wave forecasts and less than 10 MPH wind.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with @Bruce. In a 19' Yamaha boat 2' at moderate intervals is "tolerable" on vacation. 3' seas is less than ideal and will be a rough, wet ride day and not all that fun for the family. I've taken my boat out in the gulf on rough, windy days and it was exciting for me but the wife wouldn't have liked it one bit. Best to keep it at 1.5' or less if you want the family to feel safe and have a good time. Keep the kids (and any heavy gear) out of the bow as well. I would not be out in open waters without a GPS, radio, EPIRB and several other essential items.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all. Of course it starts to calm down Saturday when i leave.

Well i got the experience of trailering the boat, going on the ocean, and learning to read weather forcasts.

Nothing lost....i will give the boat a good cleaning tomorrow to get all the salt off.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Salt-Away is your friend as well when you wash her down. I spray .....no I liberally smother... the entire boat, trailer, all underneath and in every single area I can with that stuff. I use one cup worth for the engine and at least one cup if not two washing down the entire boat and trailer. Salt Terminator will work too if you don’t have or can find Salt-Away.

Last edited:

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
any information will be very appreciated as my family of 4 planning to go Bimini in 2019 from north, with our 19' too !

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife was bugging me about bimini. Dont even know where she found out about it. After 2 days boating in the ocean she has decided in a few years she will send me myself and she will take the ferry.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife was bugging me about bimini. Dont even know where she found out about it. After 2 days boating in the ocean she has decided in a few years she will send me myself and she will take the ferry.
My wife heard me talking about a bimini trip last summer to one of my boating buddies. She is 100% on board for taking our boat to the bahamas......so long as the men make the crossing, and the women take the ferry.......It appears there are some Youtube videos that have her convinced it's an adventure she doesn't want to partake in.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We vacationed there when I was in college with my family. We towed my dad's 24' Hurricane down for 2 weeks in December for Christmas. Rented a nice house in Key Colony. I love the keys.

I did learn that sometimes it does get cold this time of year. You can get by without wetsuits but if you have them, bring them along for snorkeling. The other thing you find out is the height of the docks or walls behind the houses are a bit tall for our boats and made of concrete unlike places we are used to docking. Since we were worried about the boat rubbing the concrete we made makeshift whips to keep the boat off the wall.

We went to home depot, grabbed 2 lengths of 2 inch pvc pipe and drove them into the canal behind the house at a slight angle. We did this because the bumpers were left at home I believe? I also hate using bumpers at a home base especially if you are vacationing there for an extended period. The owners of the house did not have a very friendly 'boat dock' so we had to improvise a bit.

I do highly recommend the keys though. Ive been there twice with boats and would love to bring our 19 (or next boat:winkingthumbsup") the next time I go.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to the Florida Keys and wanted to go to a beach. We launched from Sigsbee which is on the military base we live on. We went out to Snipes Key or Snipes Point which it is labeled on the map/chart. Some people use a short cut running in 1-3 foot depth waters, but we took what my app Navioncs suggested and it worked out great using the channels and then after exiting, it was 18-25 foot water so no worries there. This island is all coral so getting to the sand bar with the family was the greatest experience so far in the boat.
Out here in the Keys pay attention to the winds as well as the tides as at high tide, Snipes is mostly under water. I had myself, wife our 4 year old and our 1 1/2 yo twin daughters with us. If anyone has any questions let me know, as we are going to be getting very familiar with the different islands that have places to get off and enjoy the beach life.

Attachments